The Student Room Group

Aberdeen or Strathclyde?

Hey everyone,
I'm new here. So I have gotten conditional offers from all of my choices. I was looking to studying in Glasgow university, but their conditions are too high for me, so I've chosen University of Strathclyde as my firm choice and Aberdeen as a back-up. Now I'm not so sure if I made a right choice. I really like both universities, maybe Glasgow city is a little more attractive to me. Aberdeen's course is for biochemistry and Strathclyde's is for biochemistry and pharmacology.
I thought that I've made the right decision until I saw that in most places Aberdeen is recognized as a better university than Strathclyde.
It would be really helpful and beneficial if someone could advise me about this. Especially, the students from both universities. What do you think about these universities? Courses? Cities, people?
Thank you in advance.
Original post by TomCooper
Hey everyone,
I'm new here. So I have gotten conditional offers from all of my choices. I was looking to studying in Glasgow university, but their conditions are too high for me, so I've chosen University of Strathclyde as my firm choice and Aberdeen as a back-up. Now I'm not so sure if I made a right choice. I really like both universities, maybe Glasgow city is a little more attractive to me. Aberdeen's course is for biochemistry and Strathclyde's is for biochemistry and pharmacology.
I thought that I've made the right decision until I saw that in most places Aberdeen is recognized as a better university than Strathclyde.
It would be really helpful and beneficial if someone could advise me about this. Especially, the students from both universities. What do you think about these universities? Courses? Cities, people?
Thank you in advance.

Hi! I live in Aberdeen and will be applying to university next year so maybe I can help.

Aberdeen as a city is subjective. I love it, but I do plan on moving away to explore for uni. However, some of my friends despise it because of how compact it is. I would definitely agree with the statement "Aberdeen is one of those cities where you will almost always see someone you know in town." But that's a good thing in my opinion! We have 4 shopping malls and Un. Square is amazing. On the other hand, some people hate it because whatever you do, someone else will probably find out.
Glasgow however, is the opposite. Lots of my friends want to go there for university because of the nightlife and the wider variety of people. And Strathclyde definitely is not regarded below Aberdeen, I'd say they're about even. The only reason people look at Aberdeen as better is because most grads enter the oil industry and so start on a high salary. But if you really prefer Strath yet want that oil industry career, just move up here after graduation and you'll experience the best of both cities. :smile:

And about the people… It's honestly just like everywhere else. Some are nice, some aren't. Glasgow definitely has a wider variety. I know that at my school; a lot of people feel sour towards us because most people's parents are in the oil industry on six figure salaries and so those from impoverished areas dislike that. But overall, we're a good bunch. :smile: Also; Glasgow has nice parts that are great, and more of a lively feel, but the rough parts are some of the worst in Britain. Plus I couldn't move there as the accent drives me insane but that's just me. :tongue:

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Draco Dormiens
Hi! I live in Aberdeen and will be applying to university next year so maybe I can help.

Aberdeen as a city is subjective. I love it, but I do plan on moving away to explore for uni. However, some of my friends despise it because of how compact it is. I would definitely agree with the statement "Aberdeen is one of those cities where you will almost always see someone you know in town." But that's a good thing in my opinion! We have 4 shopping malls and Un. Square is amazing. On the other hand, some people hate it because whatever you do, someone else will probably find out.
Glasgow however, is the opposite. Lots of my friends want to go there for university because of the nightlife and the wider variety of people. And Strathclyde definitely is not regarded below Aberdeen, I'd say they're about even. The only reason people look at Aberdeen as better is because most grads enter the oil industry and so start on a high salary. But if you really prefer Strath yet want that oil industry career, just move up here after graduation and you'll experience the best of both cities. :smile:

And about the people… It's honestly just like everywhere else. Some are nice, some aren't. Glasgow definitely has a wider variety. I know that at my school; a lot of people feel sour towards us because most people's parents are in the oil industry on six figure salaries and so those from impoverished areas dislike that. But overall, we're a good bunch. :smile: Also; Glasgow has nice parts that are great, and more of a lively feel, but the rough parts are some of the worst in Britain. Plus I couldn't move there as the accent drives me insane but that's just me. :tongue:

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Another Aberdonian, eh? I agree with you, however, I'm getting quite bored if Aberdeen now.

What Highers are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the info, in my opinion both cities and universities are great. I don't know, maybe it's the anxiety before exams that makes me wonder such things. :biggrin: I'm also interested about the quality of lectures, assessments and so on. Which is better for biochemistry?
Original post by Princepieman
Another Aberdonian, eh? I agree with you, however, I'm getting quite bored if Aberdeen now.

What Highers are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm from Cheshire originally but I've lived in Aberdeen for most of my life :smile: And highers in maths, English, chemistry, biology, modern studies and an advanced higher in French. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm from Cheshire originally but I've lived in Aberdeen for most of my life :smile: And highers in maths, English, chemistry, biology, modern studies and an advanced higher in French. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn, you're in S5 and doing an Advanced Higher in French?! Here's me struggling to even get an A in AH French - how did you convince your school?

Yeah, I've been here for 10 years now. I used to be a part of the international school gang - i.e. moving from country to country every 2-3 years because my dad worked in Oil and Gas.

I'm doing Advanced Highers in Maths, Physics and French - plus a higher in Computing. I've just finished S6.

You thought about uni and courses yet?
Original post by Princepieman
Damn, you're in S5 and doing an Advanced Higher in French?! Here's me struggling to even get an A in AH French - how did you convince your school?

Yeah, I've been here for 10 years now. I used to be a part of the international school gang - i.e. moving from country to country every 2-3 years because my dad worked in Oil and Gas.

I'm doing Advanced Highers in Maths, Physics and French - plus a higher in Computing. I've just finished S6.

You thought about uni and courses yet?

Hahaha yeah I get that reaction a lot :tongue: It wasn't hard to convince them tbh, I did higher last year and got 97% without revision (it's just one of those subjects I find easy) and I was actually doing higher physics as a sixth higher this year but switched after Summer to go back into AH French. :smile: A in the prelim but only just so I'm going to revise for the real thing and it should be fine. Try listening to French music, I do it all the time so maybe it helps. "Si j'étais" is my personal favourite :biggrin:

But ahhhh yes I am very familiar with the international gang. I'll tell you my school over PM but so many over my friends are that type. My dad is in oil and gas but when he's worked abroad it's never been permanent so I've always stayed here. :smile: Let me guess the countries you've lived in though… Somewhere along the lines of Malaysia, Holland, Brunei, Venezuela and Canada? :wink:

Ahhhh I'm doing AH maths next year! :smile: That's a nice range of subjects, focused yet broad. I'm also doing AH chemistry and English next year with crash higher Spanish. I've been tempted to switch to AH biology from H Spanish although I'd probably drop English then so I don't know what I'll decide haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
From what I've seen in both cities, Aberdeen is a bit more clean and friendly, though Glasgow seems as though it would have more to do, I sometimes find myself at a loss for things to do with friends if they come visit me

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi i am looking to apply for chemical engineering which is the best uni for that as i want to go into the oil industry?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending