The Student Room Group

Are People Too Hung Up On Uni "Prestige"?

On TSR, anyway. Obviously doing something like media studies instead of maths is a bad idea.

However, subject wise, I think it's still often better to do something you enjoy but that's considered less "prestigious" (e.g. something like Sociology or Management? not arguing about how prestigious these are considered btw) rather than just one of the "top 10 subjects" like Law/Econ/Medicine largely because of "prestige." I know a lot of people who did "prestigious" subjects and transferred out or are getting bad grades because they didn't really want to do it.

Also re: uni prestige - obviously this counts both generally and for your course. And "brand name" matters a lot in careers like IB and Law. However, if choosing between something like another Russell Group and Oxbridge (esp. one like Imperial or Warwick), or two Russell Groups, IMO one should factor in other things like location/social life at the uni rather than just going for the more "prestigious" uni straight off. (the old "a 2:1 from here is better than a 2:2 from there").

What do you think? Are people too obsessed with "prestige"?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by NickEgg
On TSR, anyway. Obviously doing, something like media studies instead of maths is a bad idea.

However, subject wise, I think it's still often better to do something you enjoy but that's considered less "prestigious" (e.g. something like Sociology or Management? not arguing about how prestigious these are considered btw) rather than just one of the "top 10 subjects" like Law/Econ/Medicine largely because of "prestige." I know a lot of people who did "prestigious" subjects and transferred out or are getting bad grades because they didn't really want to do it.

Also re: uni prestige - obviously this counts both generally and for your course. And "brand name" matters a lot in careers like IB and Law. However, if choosing between something like another Russell Group and Oxbridge (esp. one like Imperial or Warwick), or two Russell Groups, IMO one should factor in other things like location/social life at the uni rather than just going for the more "prestigious" uni straight off. (the old "a 2:1 from here is better than a 2:2 from there").

This is a very interesting thread because i'm currently in the process of trying to choose between a very prestigious university : Warwick and one that is not even in the top 20's lol but actually a great university which produces results and high employability.

When i asked the question before, i was told "Dont be silly, Warwick ofc" and "Is it even a question? Warwick" But having looked at which is more suitable for ME, i feel it is the other University but im so torn because of warwicks PRESTIGE. :s-smilie:

I honestly do not know which is more important in terms of our futures.

As for the subjects, I am doing law because i feel it's something i enjoy, something ive read up on, something that excites me. I believe more people will put themselves through a tough degree like Law, for this reason as opposed to because it's a "good degree". No point coming out with a 3 in a Law degree if you can get a 1st class in another degree which is still relatively good.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Lulu24
This is a very interesting thread because i'm currently in the process of trying to choose between a very prestigious university : Warwick and one that is not even in the top 20's lol but actually a great university which produces results and high employability.

When i asked the question before, i was told "Dont be silly, Warwick ofc" and "Is it even a question? Warwick" But having looked at which is more suitable for ME, i feel it is the other University but im so torn because of warwicks PRESTIGE. :s-smilie:

I honestly do not know which is more important in terms of our futures.

As for the subjects, I am doing law because i feel it's something i enjoy, something ive read up on, something that excites me. I believe more people will put themselves through a tough degree like Law, for this reason as opposed to because it's a "good degree". No point coming out with a 3 in a Law degree if you can get a 1st class in another degree which is still relatively good.

Warwick and what uni? :smile: Have you visited both?
Original post by NickEgg
On TSR, anyway. Obviously doing something like media studies instead of maths is a bad idea.

I think people do look at prestige as an important factor.

At the end of the day though, everyone's decision should be respected. If someone is doing a course that is considered less prestigious, be happy for them because its what they want to do! :yep:
Some people on tsr do seem to care too much, for me it really doesnt matter as i m going to be doing nursing in september and no employee cares where your degree is from as their all regulated by the nmc anyway. Make the decision that makes you happy everybody:smile: I have a cousin the same age in oxford but know she made the decision on the fact she had the ability to get in there and liked the city and the college she choose , not that she could go on about the prestige of her chosen uni:smile:
Maybe some of us just want the best? :dontknow:
Some people want to attend the best universities. What's wrong with that?
I get that it is a factor for some career paths, but beyond that, I get the impression that a lot of people on TSR attach their self-esteem to their perceived prestige of a university. It tends to be A level students/those just starting university that seem to care the most. Once you become an adult, you realise that no one gives a flying monkey about the prestige of the university you attended.
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Entry+Standards&v=wide

I think that TSR has a weird view on this. That other topic had the above link, which leads to the table ranked by entry standards. You have places like Strathclyde and Glasgow easily in the top 20 for entry standards but outside it for the actual ranking. You also get people on TSR who say that getting PhDs from Oxbridge are less impressive than Bscs from Oxbridge because it's harder to get in as undergrads.

Also people on TSR say they want prestige...but then they don't go on to do anything related to their degrees for the rest of their lives.
Reply 9
Original post by Quantex
I get that it is a factor for some career paths, but beyond that, I get the impression that a lot of people on TSR attach their self-esteem to their perceived prestige of a university. It tends to be A level students/those just starting university that seem to care the most. Once you become an adult, you realise that no one gives a flying monkey about the prestige of the university you attended.

Yes, it's funny seeing all the 16/17 year olds on here theorising about unis they've probably (at most) visited on open days. Obviously, all else being equal you want to be at the most prestigious uni you can, but all else is not equal and it's surprising how many seem to go on just prestige or don't even visit prospective unis beforehand (picking them out of a league table instead).
I've noticed a definite obsession with creating threads where people must rank unis or rank courses based on their prestige. There seems to be a massive obsession with investment banking as well. It does make me laugh though, when these kids grow up they will be thrown into the real world :wink:
Original post by chandlerellroy
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Entry+Standards&v=wide

I think that TSR has a weird view on this. That other topic had the above link, which leads to the table ranked by entry standards. You have places like Strathclyde and Glasgow easily in the top 20 for entry standards but outside it for the actual ranking. You also get people on TSR who say that getting PhDs from Oxbridge are less impressive than Bscs from Oxbridge because it's harder to get in as undergrads.

Also people on TSR say they want prestige...but then they don't go on to do anything related to their degrees for the rest of their lives.

Couldn't agree more. Hear hear.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by EatAndRevise
Some people want to attend the best universities. What's wrong with that?

Those type of people form a prejudice against people that do not attend to the "best" universities and therefore start looking down on them with this whole underclass attitude.
Reply 13
Original post by KittyAnneR
I've noticed a definite obsession with creating threads where people must rank unis or rank courses based on their prestige. There seems to be a massive obsession with investment banking as well. It does make me laugh though, when these kids grow up they will be thrown into the real world :wink:

I can see why kids want to go into IB and so on, so those threads seem fairly useful, but the constant "ranking" threads are getting more than a little pathetic TBH. I agree - anyone who's spent more than a day applying for jobs in the real world can see how much (especially subject) "prestige" matters.
As long as the university is Russell Group material, it doesn't matter for most graduates as to which university you attended. Employers won't care.
Reply 15
Yes, people are obsessed with prestige.

You should do the things you like .
Original post by studyworm
As long as the university is Russell Group material, it doesn't matter for most graduates as to which university you attended. Employers won't care.

Lies. I mean I'm sure most jobs don't care but if you want the best jobs, don't you think employers will favour candidates who went to top uni's? So for example, if Google was hiring graduates and they had one candidate from Camb/Imp/Ox and another from Uni of Bedfordshire, which one do you think they would interview? (If they could only interview one).

I'm sure after working for years and having real experience no one will care too much where you went.
Reply 17
Original post by NickEgg

And "brand name" matters a lot in careers like IB and Law.

Yes, I think people are too obsessed. I go to a university that isn't great, and I managed to get interviews at some of the biggest Law firms in London. I honestly believe that your university is one of the last things companies will look at, and it's much more important to have a good CV.
Original post by Brubeckian
Lies. I mean I'm sure most jobs don't care but if you want the best jobs, don't you think employers will favour candidates who went to top uni's? So for example, if Google was hiring graduates and they had one candidate from Camb/Imp/Ox and another from Uni of Bedfordshire, which one do you think they would interview? (If they could only interview one).

I'm sure after working for years and having real experience no one will care too much where you went.

Did you read my post properly? I said Russell Group graduates is what employers want. And I know a lot about what employers want, and half of it is about who and what you are as a person, not what piece of paper you have from what university.
Original post by Brubeckian

It can help a little, you're correct. But have a mindblowing CV and they won't give a damn. So many graduates from so called 'top' unis are boring as hell with no life experiences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending