The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello! I'm doing new higher and the textbook we're using is a load of crap. Does anyone know anything better than the Joe Walker books for buddhism?
Reply 2
Im doing christianty this year which sucks so im sorry i cant help you, whats the new higher like?
Hello! I know this thread is a few weeks old but thought I'd bring it up - we're mostly self taught RMPS this year, just wondering about topics for the extended essay? We haven't been given much of a brief other than "anything in the world that you want to write about, as long as there's a religious viewpoint or moral stance on it. So anything!" Any ideas would be really appreciated cause I really don't know where to start haha x

Posted from TSR Mobile
the lack of resources for the new highers are ridiculous, luckily we are doing in the old higher this year! :smile:
Original post by louisedurhl
Hello! I know this thread is a few weeks old but thought I'd bring it up - we're mostly self taught RMPS this year, just wondering about topics for the extended essay? We haven't been given much of a brief other than "anything in the world that you want to write about, as long as there's a religious viewpoint or moral stance on it. So anything!" Any ideas would be really appreciated cause I really don't know where to start haha x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, are you doing Advanced Higher?
Does anyone know where to find info on how to answer the questions?
Reply 7
Original post by cameronpert
Does anyone know where to find info on how to answer the questions?

are you doing old or new higher?
My daughter is doing the new cfe higher. Ww are struggling to find books to help
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kitten999
My daughter is doing the new cfe higher. Ww are struggling to find books to help

what units is she doing?
Original post by GoldenAge
what units is she doing?

She origins of life, Christianity & i think its morality and belief
Original post by kitten999
She origins of life, Christianity & i think its morality and belief

Right okay. I'm doing Buddhism but I'll still try to help. For Morality and Belief I'm doing Religion and relationships, so if she's also doing that I can probably upload some copies of our class notes. Origins of Life I can try to dig out some notes on. I can't think of any specific books at this point, but I'll have a look for some websites which I think might help your daughter.

I'll just be going by what the SQA suggests could be covered in each unit.
Christianity:
Beliefs:
One God -- [1] [2] [3] It's also worth taking a look at the catechism of the catholic church. I'm not sure if it's needed for the course, but I believe it was written by Pope John Paul II, so it contains a lot of useful information. [4]
God's relationship with human beings -- [1]
Human's relationship with God -- [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14]
Free will -- [1] [2] [3]

I think the rest of the beliefs on the site were covered somewhat in the human's relationship with God part. If not it might be worth exploring those websites anyway to try and find some more information. Also, not all of the information will be relevant, your daughter should be able to figure out what's relevant or not by looking at her course outline (if she has one) or her notes. Anyway, onto practices:

the links get a little mixed up here as I read on through the SQA documentation, but your daughter should be able to figure out what fits where. I'll link to the sqa document at the end.

Worship -- [1] [2] [3] (<< use the arrows to look through all the sacraments, but it might be easier to go back to the contents page.) [4] [5] [6] [7]
Living according to gospel -- (the seven sacraments stuff above is probably useful here.) [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]
Mission -- [1] [2] [3] [4]

I'll have to look through my notes and hopefully I'll find somethings about origins of life. If I do I'll post them here. Anyway, I've no idea if I've actually managed to help, but I'm sure there was some useful information in that mass of links. ^^

EDIT: SQA documentation
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Hi,

For the CfE Higher, how are you setting out your answers to the questions in the exam? For the 20 marker I think you need an intro and conclusion, but I'm not sure if it's needed for the 10 markers.
Original post by callumr372
Hi,

For the CfE Higher, how are you setting out your answers to the questions in the exam? For the 20 marker I think you need an intro and conclusion, but I'm not sure if it's needed for the 10 markers.

I'll just write down what our teacher told us:

20 marker:
- introduction: why is it a moral issue? (differing opinions on the moral issue)
- religious teaching & biblical quotes (what is divine command theory? christian leaders. what religious authority is)
- roman catholic view
- church of scotland view (this way we've broken the religion down into 1 general view and 2 different churches)
- non religious view (utilitarianism, humanism, the law, moral relativism, etc)
- your opinion and reasons.

general points:
- explain your reasoning and analysis. don't leave it hanging
- don't use quotes without context or explanation
- listing won't get marks
- 2 ish pages of A4 (handwritten), about 600-800 words

our teacher told us that the ten marker doesn't always need an introduction. also there doesn't need to be so much depth in terms of religious/non religious views. it can also be a couple hundred words shorter. yay. so like, i probably wouldn't have three paragraphs for religious views, I might have two at most.]

I hope this kind of helped. ^^
Reply 14
I'll just write down what our teacher told us:

20 marker:
- introduction: why is it a moral issue? (differing opinions on the moral issue)
- religious teaching & biblical quotes (what is divine command theory? christian leaders. what religious authority is)
- roman catholic view
- church of scotland view (this way we've broken the religion down into 1 general view and 2 different churches)
- non religious view (utilitarianism, humanism, the law, moral relativism, etc)
- your opinion and reasons.

general points:
- explain your reasoning and analysis. don't leave it hanging
- don't use quotes without context or explanation
- listing won't get marks
- 2 ish pages of A4 (handwritten), about 600-800 words

our teacher told us that the ten marker doesn't always need an introduction. also there doesn't need to be so much depth in terms of religious/non religious views. it can also be a couple hundred words shorter. yay. so like, i probably wouldn't have three paragraphs for religious views, I might have two at most.]

I hope this kind of helped. ^^

Yeah it helped, thanks for taking the time to write all that out :smile:
I'm doing the old higher with
Buddhism
Medical Ethics
Belief and Science

If anyone has any questions I'm up for answering, it'll test myself as well
Right okay. I'm doing Buddhism but I'll still try to help. For Morality and Belief I'm doing Religion and relationships, so if she's also doing that I can probably upload some copies of our class notes. Origins of Life I can try to dig out some notes on. I can't think of any specific books at this point, but I'll have a look for some websites which I think might help your daughter.

I'll just be going by what the SQA suggests could be covered in each unit.
Christianity:
Beliefs:
One God -- [1] [2] [3] It's also worth taking a look at the catechism of the catholic church. I'm not sure if it's needed for the course, but I believe it was written by Pope John Paul II, so it contains a lot of useful information. [4]
God's relationship with human beings -- [1]
Human's relationship with God -- [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14]
Free will -- [1] [2] [3]

I think the rest of the beliefs on the site were covered somewhat in the human's relationship with God part. If not it might be worth exploring those websites anyway to try and find some more information. Also, not all of the information will be relevant, your daughter should be able to figure out what's relevant or not by looking at her course outline (if she has one) or her notes. Anyway, onto practices:

the links get a little mixed up here as I read on through the SQA documentation, but your daughter should be able to figure out what fits where. I'll link to the sqa document at the end.

Worship -- [1] [2] [3] (<< use the arrows to look through all the sacraments, but it might be easier to go back to the contents page.) [4] [5] [6] [7]
Living according to gospel -- (the seven sacraments stuff above is probably useful here.) [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]
Mission -- [1] [2] [3] [4]

I'll have to look through my notes and hopefully I'll find somethings about origins of life. If I do I'll post them here. Anyway, I've no idea if I've actually managed to help, but I'm sure there was some useful information in that mass of links. ^^

EDIT: SQA documentation

Thank you so much for taking the time to help. My daughter is away looking up the websites. Cheers x
How many quotes should you use
What do people find the best thing to do to revise for this? Past papers take an awful lot of time!
Reply 19
For cfe, do you know if quotes are needed to get full marks on the 20 mark question?

Latest