The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by procyon
Hi everyone,

I got offer AAB for BEconSc. Does anyone know if I could go to the university any time to ask questions because I cannot attend any open days ??

Also, when can we apply for accommodation?
Thanks

School of Social Sciences normally hold some post offer open days.

You could also go to a Weds afternoon guided visit and then pitch up at the undergrad office in Arthur Lewis building (ground floor, on your left) to ask subject specific questions (might be an idea to let them know you're coming first).

Accommodation applications are open now - there's a FAQ stickied in this forum which a lot of people seem to find quite useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Anybody been accepted on MSc Clinical and Health Psychology? I was made an offer and accepted straight away. It would be good to meet some course buddies on here!
I've accepted the offer in Msc Innovation and Entrepreneurship Mangement !
Looking for the right self catered modern accommodation with ample space !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys! Is the university supposed to send an email after you firm them? I have already received an email from my insurance and I was wondering if Manchester sends emails to firmers.
Reply 1944
Original post by tokar
Hi everyone,
I have my skype interview tomorrow, I am quite horrified and I have no idea what is it going to be about as well. Can someone please tell us what we can expect, what kind of questions and give us an advice?
Thank you very much
Original post by EmitevA
I firmed Chemical Engineering with a foundation year and now i'm wondering between two halls :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

what were you predicted grades to get an offer as I am looking to apply next year?
Reply 1946
Original post by Schrode
Hey guys! Is the university supposed to send an email after you firm them? I have already received an email from my insurance and I was wondering if Manchester sends emails to firmers.

Lol
Hey guys!! Is anyone doing the MA Digital Technologies, Communication and Education course??
Ranking Questions:
I've applied for Aerospace Engineering. Pls help!
Manchester has a better ranking in the QS and USNEWS websites but only an average ranking in the Guardian,The Complete University Guide lists.
However, Bath and Southampton have very good rankings in the Guardian and the CUG lists but a poor ranking in the QS list.
Sheffield is average in both.
Can someone explain? Are the rankings related to how old the universities are?
Which list do I trust?
Original post by shreevi23
Ranking Questions:
Manchester has a better ranking in the QS and USNEWS websites but only an average ranking in the Guardian,The Complete University Guide lists.
However, Bath and Southampton have very good rankings in the Guardian and the CUG lists but a poor ranking in the QS list.
Which list do I trust?

Different publications use different methods and criteria when creating rankings. Also, QS and USNEWS are international rankings while the other two are UK based, Manchester's international reputation is significantly better than its domestic one.

You shouldn't really trust any of the league tables, particularly when it comes to comparing universities of a similar level like Manchester, Southampton, Bath and Sheffield. They don't have much meaning in the real world.
Reply 1950
Original post by shreevi23
Ranking Questions:
Which list do I trust?

Yo, I applied for Aerospace Engineering too and got my offer. Anyways, I wondered the same thing but to be honest ranking isnt everything. Research campus, percentage of students that continue working in the field etc... I'd say international is most important when looking for unis, especially if you want to do your Masters in a uni in the states for example, UoM is seen as a uni with good reputation on an International Level. Anyways, the reason you do engineering is cuz of the interest in the subject rather than your income later on, so any good uni is good enough. But yea back to your question, personally I dont trust UK rankings, never found a decent one found they're all rigged etc and take probably unimportant factors. QS also does this like takes research as 15% of its ranking, campus as 10% something like that. After like a few years of researching unis, i truely realized there's nothing called uni ranking, it's more of a name ex: Harvard and MiT would always be in the top top even if a ranking doesnt say so. So yea to some it all up, if you want to expand and start getting involved with other universities or jobs outside the UK go with Manchester, i know a few people who went and did their masters in respectable unis outside England. In the end, do your research of the uni, what people say, and basically as much as you can, and dont worry, when you interview for a job 'against' a student from sheffield or bath for example, the person who's going to hire isnt going to open a ranking website and check which uni's better. Ask if you have any questions :smile:
Original post by OmarZ
Lol

go away Omar :angry: you should be studying anyways :wink:
Does anyone know how easy/hard it would be to study abroad for a year at Manchester? I'm doing a joint honours in Anthropology and Sociology. I can't seem to find much info about the application process or whether it's readily available to students on this course?
Original post by GrahamTheCat
Does anyone know how easy/hard it would be to study abroad for a year at Manchester? I'm doing a joint honours in Anthropology and Sociology. I can't seem to find much info about the application process or whether it's readily available to students on this course?

have a look to see if your course is specifically offered as "anthropology and sociology with study abroad"
so for example I originally applied for maths & physics, I received an offer, and then emailed admissions and asked to change my course to "physics with study abroad" as this is a separate course offered.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can find some information on study abroad here. Anthropology and Sociology doesn't seem to be included in the list of courses with an available compulsory year abroad option but it may still be eligible for a shorter study abroad period (e.g. one semester). The website says that most undergraduate courses allow the latter, save for those which are accredited by an external body. I'd contact them to find out for sure, if I was you.
Original post by OmarZ
Yo, I applied for Aerospace Engineering too and got my offer. Anyways, I wondered the same thing but to be honest ranking isnt everything. Research campus, percentage of students that continue working in the field etc... I'd say international is most important when looking for unis, especially if you want to do your Masters in a uni in the states for example, UoM is seen as a uni with good reputation on an International Level. Anyways, the reason you do engineering is cuz of the interest in the subject rather than your income later on, so any good uni is good enough. But yea back to your question, personally I dont trust UK rankings, never found a decent one found they're all rigged etc and take probably unimportant factors. QS also does this like takes research as 15% of its ranking, campus as 10% something like that. After like a few years of researching unis, i truely realized there's nothing called uni ranking, it's more of a name ex: Harvard and MiT would always be in the top top even if a ranking doesnt say so. So yea to some it all up, if you want to expand and start getting involved with other universities or jobs outside the UK go with Manchester, i know a few people who went and did their masters in respectable unis outside England. In the end, do your research of the uni, what people say, and basically as much as you can, and dont worry, when you interview for a job 'against' a student from sheffield or bath for example, the person who's going to hire isnt going to open a ranking website and check which uni's better. Ask if you have any questions :smile:

In my case, The University of Manchester is asking for higher grade. UoM has an excellent rank in the QS system(Top 30s). The admission criteria at Bath and Southampton are achievable( I'm leaning towards Bath). My question is - Is picking Manchester worth the risk?
Will the UoM accept me even if I get an 88/89% ?? Pls help
Original post by rachelc142
have a look to see if your course is specifically offered as "anthropology and sociology with study abroad"
so for example I originally applied for maths & physics, I received an offer, and then emailed admissions and asked to change my course to "physics with study abroad" as this is a separate course offered.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've looked and it isn't, but thanks for the idea! They have just social anthropology with a year abroad so I might email them about that.

Original post by HandmadeTurnip
You can find some information on study abroad here. Anthropology and Sociology doesn't seem to be included in the list of courses with an available compulsory year abroad option but it may still be eligible for a shorter study abroad period (e.g. one semester). The website says that most undergraduate courses allow the latter, save for those which are accredited by an external body. I'd contact them to find out for sure, if I was you.

Thank you! I've sent them an email asking about it. Hopefully they'll reply soon as I really need to make my decision on which uni to firm!
In my case, The University of Manchester is asking for higher grade. UoM has an excellent rank in the QS system(Top 30s). The admission criteria at Bath and Southampton are achievable( I'm leaning towards Bath). My question is - Is picking Manchester worth the risk?
Will the UoM accept me even if I get an 88/89% ?? Pls help
I've looked and it isn't, but thanks for the idea! They have just social anthropology with a year abroad so I might email them about that.

Thank you! I've sent them an email asking about it. Hopefully they'll reply soon as I really need to make my decision on which uni to firm!

Yeah that could be good!!
if it's a course run by the same department it tends not to make a difference to your offer too :-D best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its a crazy question and probably imposible, but i'll risk asking: is it posible to transfer from MBS to Biomedical sciences?:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending