The Student Room Group

Bought car from Dealership but heads gasket is blown, they are ignoring calls

I paid £1800 for a 2006 Focus on Monday, CAR CAME WITH 3 MONTH WARRANTY BUT THEY HAVEN'T REALLY GAVE ME ANY PAPERWORK, I HAVE THE CAR'S SALE ADVERT WHICH SHOWS WARRANTY., driving home I hear change in engine noise, pop bonnet- coolant empty and overheating on temp gauge.
Tuesday coolant seems fine and NO overheating.
Wednesday afternoon, coolant loss and overheating.

Thursday took to garage and they said a crack in thermostat housing, then they say they fix that but will cost £110, I left it there overnight. then today they tell me head gasket is blown. however no power loss, no oil in coolant, no coolant in oil.

I ring the dealership I bought it from on Monday, no answer.

Garage want to know in morning if they have the go-ahead to start engine job but I need to speak with the dealership to ask them to pay upfront for the repairs.
if they refuse what are my rights? I paid my credit card so that's proof in itself.
could I ring the bank and ask for a reverse transaction ? do the dealership HAVE to fix this head gasket? I only bought car on Monday
Original post by Free Man
I paid £1800 for a 2006 Focus on Monday, CAR CAME WITH 3 MONTH WARRANTY BUT THEY HAVEN'T REALLY GAVE ME ANY PAPERWORK, I HAVE THE CAR'S SALE ADVERT WHICH SHOWS WARRANTY., driving home I hear change in engine noise, pop bonnet- coolant empty and overheating on temp gauge.
Tuesday coolant seems fine and NO overheating.
Wednesday afternoon, coolant loss and overheating.

Thursday took to garage and they said a crack in thermostat housing, then they say they fix that but will cost £110, I left it there overnight. then today they tell me head gasket is blown. however no power loss, no oil in coolant, no coolant in oil.

I ring the dealership I bought it from on Monday, no answer.

Garage want to know in morning if they have the go-ahead to start engine job but I need to speak with the dealership to ask them to pay upfront for the repairs.
if they refuse what are my rights? I paid my credit card so that's proof in itself.
could I ring the bank and ask for a reverse transaction ? do the dealership HAVE to fix this head gasket? I only bought car on Monday

yes.

you're lucky in the UK as far as there is no such thing as sold as seen when dealerships are concerned. There is a 3 month statutory warranty - not to mention the fact that cars need to be fit for purpose and a head gasket failing within a week is very unlikely to be coincidental.

I'd go down there in person if they're call dodging and if that fails, a call to trading standards
If they continue ignoring calls, send a letter so there is a paper trail that is dated and admissible in court. In fact I would do this anyway as they are clearly not to be trusted off the record.
To court we go

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you have to, sue them.

You'll to send a letter setting out your case and give them 14 days to respond, after that you can issue a claim.

You'll offered mediation, if they have a lawyer take that otherwise costs could become an issue.
Try and see if your bank will do a charge back if not, you'll have to go through court.

The first step is sending a letter out that you a rejecting the car, for whatever reason and what you will like done giving them 14 days to respond.
Second step is if there is no reply to your letter or no suitable agreement is made you can issue a claim on moneyclaim online.(You then have to wait 21 days from the issue date to apply for judgement if they still don't pay up).
Third step is applying for default judgement and then you can apply for a control warrant to send the baliffs out immediately after judgement is issued.

I hope it goes well for you.
I would simultaneously write to "the dealer principal" at the place that you bought the car from, rejecting the car and listing the faults.

also to the credit card company as they are the people who actually bought the car from the dealer, and you are buying it from them. They should react pretty quickly to resolve the matter. I would also contact trading standards to keep them up to speed.

Using the the credit card is the smartest thing you have done as it removes the conflict between the dealer and you

however, don't rely on a student forum for advice.

google "rejecting a faulty car UK" to get better more authorities advice
(edited 8 years ago)
this is no 3 month stat on a car under £2k as does not have to come with a warranty, a car of this age would be taken into consideration at court. A dealer can easily say wouls you expect a warranty on a car form a private purchase of this age and amount. In any case the warranty given with this car mos probably has a £500 claim limit, but yes gargae is responsible for car 6 months from purchase.

Latest

Trending

Trending