The Student Room Group

Will I fail my Latin GCSE?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AdamCee
Yes.

I did my Latin GCSE last year (on WJEC though, not AQA)

Tbh my grammatical understanding was poor, but my vocab pretty solid. As long as you know basic grammar, ie nominative, accusative, vocative and perhaps genative you'll be fine for most of the paper. The superlatives and passive tense and such are more to distinguish between A/A* (at least, that's how it was for me)

Do you use Cambridge SCP? If so, blitz the word tester. Do one stage at a time. Start on stage 1, learn them all, then move on to 2... Etc.
Honestly, if you REALLY tried, you could learn one stage a day.

EDIT: You said you know no grammar at all. I missed that.
With absolutely no knowledge, no you won't do well tbh. But the basic grammar shouldn't take long to learn at all

I know its been ages since I made this thread but I honestly haven`t touched Latin at all other than learning 90% of the vocab off by heart... Do you think it would be better if I got 8 A* + 1 A** in Further Maths and an A in additional maths and a D in Latin, or maybe like 5 A* 3 A + 1 A* in Further Maths and a B in additional maths with an A in Latin? I`m trying to learn the cases now and I am literally dying of boredom... :frown: If I learnthe Nominative Accusative Genetive Dative and Ablative cases should I be ok? If not FML.
Concentrate on the noun endings and cases tables it's easy to learn I learnt most in a day then you will know whose speaking and how to stucture the sentance
Original post by Mastermind1000000
I know its been ages since I made this thread but I honestly haven`t touched Latin at all other than learning 90% of the vocab off by heart... Do you think it would be better if I got 8 A* + 1 A** in Further Maths and an A in additional maths and a D in Latin, or maybe like 5 A* 3 A + 1 A* in Further Maths and a B in additional maths with an A in Latin? I`m trying to learn the cases now and I am literally dying of boredom... :frown: If I learnthe Nominative Accusative Genetive Dative and Ablative cases should I be ok? If not FML.

Learn your case and tense endings, and as long as you know the vocab you should be fine. However an element of luck will probably be needed tbh.

Try and learn the cases in a pattern. So for example, for the endings for the present tense, O S T Mus Tis Nt, and then you know it's I you he/she we you they. The same goes for the other tenses and for to be (which you need to know).

But the cases are the main thing 100%. Learn them for sure, and know what they mean. If you know a word is accusative, but don't know what the accusative is, it doesn't really help much

EDIT: Just realised I didn't reply to your literature exam question, sorry. I didn't take literature - I did my Latin lessons before school and took the exam in year 10, but ofc because we only did it twice a week for 45 minutes, I wasn't able to do literature, just language.

Also need to bear in mind what I'm saying is for the WJEC spec. AQA or OCR might be entirely different, and be essential for you to know other things. I suggest talking to your teacher about it
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AdamCee
Learn your case and tense endings, and as long as you know the vocab you should be fine. However an element of luck will probably be needed tbh.

Try and learn the cases in a pattern. So for example, for the endings for the present tense, O S T Mus Tis Nt, and then you know it's I you he/she we you they. The same goes for the other tenses and for to be (which you need to know).

But the cases are the main thing 100%. Learn them for sure, and know what they mean. If you know a word is accusative, but don't know what the accusative is, it doesn't really help much

EDIT: Just realised I didn't reply to your literature exam question, sorry. I didn't take literature - I did my Latin lessons before school and took the exam in year 10, but ofc because we only did it twice a week for 45 minutes, I wasn't able to do literature, just language.

Also need to bear in mind what I'm saying is for the WJEC spec. AQA or OCR might be entirely different, and be essential for you to know other things. I suggest talking to your teacher about it

Schools out now :/

Study Leave = No teachers

I am able to book a 20 min only appointment 1 on 1 but I`m not the only one failing latin - about 30% of the 20 people in my class are in my situation :confused:

I am learning case endings now :smile:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you just check what I understand so far and if it is correct:

I have (In the past 2 hours) learned that the Nominative does the action in a sentence and an Accusative is affected by the action. I have also leanred the Genetive shows posession of something, the Dative means to or for, and the ablative By, with or from.

So, is the next step now just learning the endings for each case and I`m set for the exam? (Hoping for a C at least :frown: )

Btw I know a large portion of the vocab so I`m good with that :smile:
Schools out now :/

Study Leave = No teachers

I am able to book a 20 min only appointment 1 on 1 but I`m not the only one failing latin - about 30% of the 20 people in my class are in my situation :confused:

I am learning case endings now :smile:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you just check what I understand so far and if it is correct:

I have (In the past 2 hours) learned that the Nominative does the action in a sentence and an Accusative is affected by the action. I have also leanred the Genetive shows posession of something, the Dative means to or for, and the ablative By, with or from.

So, is the next step now just learning the endings for each case and I`m set for the exam? (Hoping for a C at least :frown: )

Btw I know a large portion of the vocab so I`m good with that :smile:

Basically, yes

The best example I've seen for nominative and accusative (which are the two very important ones)
The dog attacks the man
That dog (bold) is nominative

The man is attacked by the dog
The dog (bold) is accusative

Ima put a sheet I made in the spoilers, I used this to basically memorise and it got me my A :smile: (you may already have something similar, if so, probably stick to what you've got)

Spoiler

Original post by AdamCee
Basically, yes

The best example I've seen for nominative and accusative (which are the two very important ones)
The dog attacks the man
That dog (bold) is nominative

The man is attacked by the dog
The dog (bold) is accusative

Ima put a sheet I made in the spoilers, I used this to basically memorise and it got me my A :smile: (you may already have something similar, if so, probably stick to what you've got)

Spoiler

confession -

I have no ideas what`s going on now :frown:

I thought that the Nom Accus Gen Dative etc cases went at the end of the word so you can identify its prupose in a sentence but I just realized I don`t know how to identify plural / singular words :O So sorry I`m so bad at Latin i just have no idea what I`m doing anymore and it`s 2 weeks till the exam :frown:
confession -

I have no ideas what`s going on now :frown:

I thought that the Nom Accus Gen Dative etc cases went at the end of the word so you can identify its prupose in a sentence but I just realized I don`t know how to identify plural / singular words :O So sorry I`m so bad at Latin i just have no idea what I`m doing anymore and it`s 2 weeks till the exam :frown:

They do go at the end of the word. What that table is is the word endings, sorry if I've confused you.

So for example, (just finding words off of the OCR papers) "I force" is "cogo". On the table, I, present tense, ending is o. "You force" would be "cogos" etc. That's how you do pronouns; the word ending. The same goes for the cases.

In terms of plural/singular words, it depends on the ending again. See the last table. So a group one nominative singular word has the ending a. However, if it's plural, it's ae. See what I mean?
Original post by AdamCee
They do go at the end of the word. What that table is is the word endings, sorry if I've confused you.

So for example, (just finding words off of the OCR papers) "I force" is "cogo". On the table, I, present tense, ending is o. "You force" would be "cogos" etc. That's how you do pronouns; the word ending. The same goes for the cases.

In terms of plural/singular words, it depends on the ending again. See the last table. So a group one nominative singular word has the ending a. However, if it's plural, it's ae. See what I mean?

Thanks so much for clearing this up :biggrin:

I think I`m sort of getting the hang of all this grammar :eek:

I want to +rep you but I dunno how :colondollar:

Thnx for the help :smile:
Thanks so much for clearing this up :biggrin:

I think I`m sort of getting the hang of all this grammar :eek:

I want to +rep you but I dunno how :colondollar:

Thnx for the help :smile:

The little grey thumb to the bottom left of the post for rep :P

And no problem :smile: Any questions just ask :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by AdamCee

Just to correct the potential mishap, the second person singural of "cogo" is "cogis" -3rd conjugation, like "lego".
Right okay I'm also doing OCR Latin, if you need help with grammar I have detailed grammar notes I can send you if you'd like. As for learning vocab, I'd recommend memrise.com which has helped me so much! Just look for a course with the higher tier OCR Latin vocab! What texts are you doing for prose and verse?
Original post by RachJess4
Right okay I'm also doing OCR Latin, if you need help with grammar I have detailed grammar notes I can send you if you'd like. As for learning vocab, I'd recommend memrise.com which has helped me so much! Just look for a course with the higher tier OCR Latin vocab! What texts are you doing for prose and verse?

YES PLEASE!

Please can I have the grammar notes, I am really struggling atm with my textbook :confused:

I actually can`t remember what texts I am doing for prose or verse from the top of my head (Just shows how prepared i am for my Latin GCSE coming up in 2 weeks) :frown:

Oh yeh, my Latin Vocab knowledge is pretty good :wink:
Reply 53
YES PLEASE!

Please can I have the grammar notes, I am really struggling atm with my textbook :confused:

I actually can`t remember what texts I am doing for prose or verse from the top of my head (Just shows how prepared i am for my Latin GCSE coming up in 2 weeks) :frown:

Send an email in a PM. I'll send some summaries of grammar over.

Posted from TSR Mobile
YES PLEASE!

I'm really sorry but I've left my exercise book with all the notes in at school, but I can send them ASAP on Tuesday after school!
I'm really sorry but I've left my exercise book with all the notes in at school, but I can send them ASAP on Tuesday after school!

I`ve already got someone emailing me their notes but if you could be as kind to send yours that would be awesome :smile:

People on the internet are so much more kind and helpful than my teachers and even my friends :angry::colondollar:
Reply 56
This actually came up yesterday! I knew it from a past paper but I don't think they penialise you too much

Quick Reply

Latest