The Student Room Group

Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao 2/5

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kenan and Kel
TBH Floyd's 0 and the way he glamourises it is ruining boxing. Now young boxers see that 0 as being the be all and end all to their career and are unwilling to take on the best. It's a ****ing cancer.

Except for my man GGG.. 0 and still willing to fight anyone
Reply 141
Original post by YesAllMen
The best champions clean out their division, yet Floyd has very very rarely faced another titlist in his own division. How can you be the best if you don't face the other top fighters around? It goes right back to his days at 130 when was fighting the likes of Jukko and Augustus when Freitas, Casamayor and Forbes all held titles. He turned down Casamayor to fight Sosa instead. Turned down a then career high payday against Margarito (twice) and instead fought Sharmba Mitchell for half the money. And so it goes on. Taking on Gatti and Bruselles at 140 when Tszyu was clearly #1 in the division. That's before you get to everyone he ducked at 147/154... he'd never have gone near someone like Paul Williams or Martinez. He wouldn't go near Mosley until Shane was 39. You could even mention Winky Wright whom Floyd called out and then promptly disappeared for 6 months when Winky showed up the next day to accept the challenge.

There's no problem with his style, he's very good at what he does and gets the job done in his own fashion. Yeah, he's not very likeable outside the ring, that has no bearing on his ring prowess. Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson had less than squeaky clean private lives too and no one disputes their ring greatness. It's the careful matchmaking and the absence of a lot of big names on his record that I take issue with.

He has fought plenty of world champions, I think the main issue is that he didn't really attempt to establish himself as a proper lineal champion in most of the divisions he has been in.

However, he has fought some of the top guys. His wins against Jose Luis Castillo (2nd fight)/Corrales weren't bad. Both were ranked at no. 2 at their respective weight classes. Acelino/Casamayor would have been great for his legacy though.

At 140, his resume is definitely suspect. He should have fought Ricky Hatton/Tzsyu. I'm guessing his main aim around that time was to fight De La Hoya, who he did call out in 05, it's arguable that he probably would have missed out on that fight if he stayed at 140.

147 is hit and miss, but at least he is fighting the no.2 guy (Pacquiao) in that division.

At 154, he beat Canelo who was the no.2 guy at that division when he fought him.

I think the accumulation of names is what people will look at on his resume rather than any sort of domination of the respective divisions that he has fought in. Overall though, at this point in time, I would still say that he has been the 2nd best fighter of this era.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 142
I hope the fight is not like Mayweather vs Canelo but like Pacquiao vs Marquez
Team Mayweather all the way!!!! #TheMoneyTeam
Pac Man will win. He has the EYE OF THE TIGER. ROOOOOOOAAAAAARRR!!!
:excited::headbang::kungfu::headbang::excited:
Southpaw:nosebleed::king1::nosebleed:Devastating Left
(edited 8 years ago)
Live stream of the weigh in, starts at 11

Love how Froch likes to throw in a mention of his fights in these interview build ups...

But intrigued if the rumours, that Manny is 4lbs under the limit, are true.

Head says Floyd. Heart says Manny and I'm going for the latter, just think he will be the ONE.
Original post by xpointx

I'm still not sure whose going to win it?
I didn't know Justin Bieber would be carrying Floyd's championship belt.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Aky786UK
Love how Froch likes to throw in a mention of his fights in these interview build ups...

Head says Floyd. Heart says Manny and I'm going for the latter, just think he will be the ONE.

Think about it. A great boxer is never afraid to lose. Muhammed Ali and many other great boxers have showed us that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Aky786UK

If true about the weight, Manny going for speed
Pacman ftw :cool:

Want him to win of course but I wouldn't bet against Floyd
Mayweather is in great ****ing shape, christ.
(edited 8 years ago)
Manny ordered a 'big lunch' and still only weighed in at 145, interesting.

Both look in great condition.
Love how relaxed Pacquiao was during the weigh in. :lol:

Hopefully it gives him the psychological edge going into the fight.

The fight is almost here... :biggrin:
Mayweather will win.

Hard work. Dedication.

Skills pay the bills.
Original post by Dark Skies
Mayweather will win.

Hard work. Dedication.

Skills pay the bills.

Both boxers are hard workers and dedicated to their work. Not to mention, both are also skilful at boxing. I hope Pac Man wins though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by xpointx
Both boxers are hard workers and dedicated to their work. Not to mention, both are also skilful at boxing.

Floyd is going to win.

'Hard work. Dedication' is a quote Mayweather and the Money Team use.
Ok..

pow.

So it's like this:

Floyd normally wins by UD after all 12. Not that amazing power wise but stylistically he's a legend. He is defensive, he observes, he is adaptive, he is responsive, he is reactive. I haven't followed since Floyd-Canelo, and since

PACQUIAO LOST TO JMM! Everyone needs to Google that. Pac was out for like over a minute, planking because he got hit so hard!!! :coma:

However, washed up or not,

Pac is a beast, he's fast and aggressive and courageous. Floyd is gonna get hurt for sure but he's also insane like truly out of his mind lol and I feel he'll adapt to Pac's style. Watch Floyd in training; he learns his enemy like the back of his hand. If Pac can drop Cotto, who troubled Mayweather, Pac might just demolish Floyd! :nooo:

Sooo I say...if it all goes expectedly (that Pac keeps landing vicious combos and that Floyd bobs n weaves and beats Pac to the punch and endures all 12 rounds):

Floyd wins by MD after 12 :biggrin:

If it goes unexpectedly, as in, Floyd just can't cope, Pac wins by UD.

I doubt KO.

Possibly a 10 round TKO for either...
Original post by Dark Skies
Floyd is going to win.

'Hard work. Dedication' is a quote Mayweather and the Money Team use.

Whoa. Bring down the details in your analysis of the sweet science. :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest