The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tw781
I just booked my UKCAT ah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by liam__
Same, it's all starting to get very real!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll be fine, don't worry! Anybody interested in buying my copy of the KAPLAN UKCAT book? It honestly boosted me by about 100 points. Bought it brand new, used it once, all pencil marks rubbed out and in really good nick. £10 plus postage.
I'm going to book mine tonight and thinking of doing it as early as possible so I can make plans if I don't do so well. When have people booked for and how long did you revise for (Jenni)? I know there's always going to be some element of luck but from what I've already done and from what people say it's something I can definitely practice for in terms of time manangement

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by victoria25
I'm going to book mine tonight and thinking of doing it as early as possible so I can make plans if I don't do so well. When have people booked for and how long did you revise for (Jenni)? I know there's always going to be some element of luck but from what I've already done and from what people say it's something I can definitely practice for in terms of time manangement

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally I don't think you need to revise for it for too long, you'll run out of resources.

I did a bit of reading around it, using a couple of ukcat books, on and off a little while before my test... But not much. The bulk I did in the two weeks prior to my test, around nursing shifts, mainly using medify. I did mine two years ago and got 800 average.
You can do things earlier to start prepping, such as revising mental maths if you're rusty or reading newspaper article/textbook pages/a few pages of a book and then quickly summarise key points, the tone of the author etc (to help with the verbal reasoning section).
That's given me a bit of confidence and sounds similar to what I'll be doing because I'm still working full time. I was initially planning to do the UKCAT as late as possible but it seems like a better option to work harder now and get it out of the way in early July so that I still have time to make back up plans for the GAMSAT or for A level chemistry if need be. Although by July I think I'd be pushing it to do well on GAMSAT for this years application. Praying for a good score to even make it past the UCAS stage!! Average 800 is amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else applied for medicine the 1st time round (undergrad) but didn't get in? Also do you think it is disadvantageous at all?
Original post by blueberrysro
Anyone else applied for medicine the 1st time round (undergrad) but didn't get in? Also do you think it is disadvantageous at all?

There are plenty of people on my course who applied at 18 but didn't get in. Why would it be disadvantageous?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForestCat
There are plenty of people on my course who applied at 18 but didn't get in. Why would it be disadvantageous?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh awesome - i don't know I just wondered if the med schools would know and like look down on it but obviously not. Cheers!
Original post by blueberrysro
Oh awesome - i don't know I just wondered if the med schools would know and like look down on it but obviously not. Cheers!

They won't know unless you tell them. If anything, it just shows dedication that you still want to apply three years on.
Personally I don't think you need to revise for it for too long, you'll run out of resources.

I did a bit of reading around it, using a couple of ukcat books, on and off a little while before my test... But not much. The bulk I did in the two weeks prior to my test, around nursing shifts, mainly using medify. I did mine two years ago and got 800 average.
You can do things earlier to start prepping, such as revising mental maths if you're rusty or reading newspaper article/textbook pages/a few pages of a book and then quickly summarise key points, the tone of the author etc (to help with the verbal reasoning section).

This is essentially what I did too. I work full time so I was doing Medify and the 600q book in the evenings etc on and off for maybe a month (but definitely not every evening...) then got the KAPLAN book and did that over a weekend before my test in early September.I got 815.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Taking Chemistry A Level as a graduate

Has anyone here studied for an A level in Chemistry independently? I am trying to search for one but feeling slightly bewildered at the choices and questioning the legitimacy of organizations as well as hidden costs. I am based in Yorkshire and would be prepared to travel a few hours for experiments and assessments if a centre has a good reputation at a reasonable price.

Taking a step back, what are your thoughts as to the necessity of A level chemistry? I am studying for an MSc Cognitive Neuroscience which will be complete by summer 2016 and have a 1st in my undergraduate degree from a Russell Group uni. I did the IB including standard level chemistry but bummed out on it - I was predicted a 7 but only got a 5. This is (arguably) equivalent to a B at just below AS level.

I feel that Chemistry will boost my application, as my undergraduate degree was in Psychology and Neurobiology, yet if I'm applying for universities that don't care about A level subjects, does it even matter... Very uncertain!

Thanks for any suggestions!
Reply 450
Original post by Luna_Movegood
Taking Chemistry A Level as a graduate

Has anyone here studied for an A level in Chemistry independently? I am trying to search for one but feeling slightly bewildered at the choices and questioning the legitimacy of organizations as well as hidden costs. I am based in Yorkshire and would be prepared to travel a few hours for experiments and assessments if a centre has a good reputation at a reasonable price.

Taking a step back, what are your thoughts as to the necessity of A level chemistry? I am studying for an MSc Cognitive Neuroscience which will be complete by summer 2016 and have a 1st in my undergraduate degree from a Russell Group uni. I did the IB including standard level chemistry but bummed out on it - I was predicted a 7 but only got a 5. This is (arguably) equivalent to a B at just below AS level.

I feel that Chemistry will boost my application, as my undergraduate degree was in Psychology and Neurobiology, yet if I'm applying for universities that don't care about A level subjects, does it even matter... Very uncertain!

Thanks for any suggestions!

I can tell you with a great degree of certainty that your a levels don't count for anything if the universities concerned use an entrance test. The want to standardise graduates and for this reason don't care about your a levels and in some cases don't even care about your degree!!

I would write down the 4 unis you want to go to and then look at the requirements. If you sit the gamsat I think a levels matter at liverpool, Southampton and Newcastle. Not sure on ukcat as that's not the direction I'm
Going.

Hope that helps
Original post by Lxh524
If you sit the gamsat I think a levels matter at liverpool, Southampton and Newcastle. Not sure on ukcat as that's not the direction I'm Going.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Southampton and Newcastle both UKCAT uni's? I have also done the GAMSAT this year to apply to Nottingham and Liverpool and am considering the UKCAT to open up Newcastle
Reply 452
Original post by neuronerd
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Southampton and Newcastle both UKCAT uni's? I have also done the GAMSAT this year to apply to Nottingham and Liverpool and am considering the UKCAT to open up Newcastle

Ah sorry I'm on the train and punctuated that badly. That's what I'm trying to say, a levels (Chem) counted at Newcastle and Southampton.

Gamsat unis that need Chem are liverpool I believe. Cardiff also use gamsat but you have to have done one of a few,very specific degrees to be counted. Only 3 or 4 I think and most are in Wales.

If you only sit the gamsat I think most people apply to all 3 of Swansea, notts and sgul.
Original post by Lxh524
Ah sorry I'm on the train and punctuated that badly. That's what I'm trying to say, a levels (Chem) counted at Newcastle and Southampton.

Gamsat unis that need Chem are liverpool I believe. Cardiff also use gamsat but you have to have done one of a few,very specific degrees to be counted. Only 3 or 4 I think and most are in Wales.

If you only sit the gamsat I think most people apply to all 3 of Swansea, notts and sgul.

Ah ok. In that case Newcastle does not require A-level "A Level and GCSE results for graduate applicants will have no direct bearing on the decision to interview or offer a place. This also applies for Masters qualifications."
Reply 454
Original post by Lxh524

For future reference to be eligible for the Cardiff GEM you need to be on one of their special feeder courses at Cardiff uni

Original post by neuronerd
Ah ok. In that case Newcastle does not require A-level "A Level and GCSE results for graduate applicants will have no direct bearing on the decision to interview or offer a place. This also applies for Masters qualifications."

Few to no GEMs have A level requirements. Save yourself the expense of sitting the exam. Cambridge, Southampton and Bristol spring to mind. Not certain of any others.

Also with a First classification a postgraduate masters would make little to no difference to your application. Only Warwick may favour it, in accepting a lower UKCAT though this is unconfirmed. Save yourself the time and money. You'd be better placed to expand your work experience and volunteer work so that you smash it at interviews.
Just sorting out my UKCAT registration/booking right now - do people generally take it as early as possible (i.e. July/August)? I'm also revising for GAMSAT so it makes sense to get the UKCAT out of the way ASAP but if I take it in July that gives me 2 months prep and I'm not sure that's enough. Everyone seems to say it only requires a few weeks prep but I opened up the 600Q book and I couldn't even answer the numerical reasoning questions because my GCSE Maths was 9 years ago and I need to go back to basics and re-learn GCSE Maths before I can even answer the 600Q questions. Anyone else in this position?
Original post by victoria25
That's given me a bit of confidence and sounds similar to what I'll be doing because I'm still working full time. I was initially planning to do the UKCAT as late as possible but it seems like a better option to work harder now and get it out of the way in early July so that I still have time to make back up plans for the GAMSAT or for A level chemistry if need be. Although by July I think I'd be pushing it to do well on GAMSAT for this years application. Praying for a good score to even make it past the UCAS stage!! Average 800 is amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ditto!

Just booked my UKCAT for 2nd of July so that I have plenty of time for GAMSAT - nerves are setting in now... Good luck to all x
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Just sorting out my UKCAT registration/booking right now - do people generally take it as early as possible (i.e. July/August)? I'm also revising for GAMSAT so it makes sense to get the UKCAT out of the way ASAP but if I take it in July that gives me 2 months prep and I'm not sure that's enough. Everyone seems to say it only requires a few weeks prep but I opened up the 600Q book and I couldn't even answer the numerical reasoning questions because my GCSE Maths was 9 years ago and I need to go back to basics and re-learn GCSE Maths before I can even answer the 600Q questions. Anyone else in this position?

I was (same position - and way longer than the 9 years you've mentioned since GCSE!) :smile: , but 2 months really is enough (in my opinion) use Khan to brush up on some basic maths then just practice practice practice- you'll be ok (I think) - GAMSAT there is a LOT of ground to cover so in my opinion it would be good to have the UKCAT out of the way. In anycase - book your UKCAT and see how you feel 1 week before it - that one is easy to postpone and change. But I think you'll be ok... :smile: good luck x
Original post by somethingbeautiful

If you're planning on taking the GAMSAT, that will take far more prep than the UKCAT.

UKCAT prep honestly won't take you two months. Once you get used to the style of questions and start seeing the repeated themes you will get the hang of UKCAT pretty quick.
What you can do though is start prepping the skills for ukcat. Brush up on your basic maths using GCSE bitesize. Get used to doing mental maths as it will make QR much easier if you can do some of the maths in your head(the on screen calc is a bit of a pain). For VR read newspaper articles/ a page or two of a textbook/non fiction book and get used to summarising the key points quickly, and also look at the style of writing etc.

I suppose it also depends on which test is more important to you? Are you mainly hoping to apply to all ukcat or mainly GAMSAT schools or a mix?
Personally I've only ever sat the UKCAT, but judging from what I've read on here, the GAMSAT needs a much bigger time investment. If you can get the ukcat out of the way its probably a good idea.

Oh and the maths in the 600q book is notoriously hard and not really representative of the real thing.
Reply 459
If you're planning on taking the GAMSAT, that will take far more prep than the UKCAT.

UKCAT prep honestly won't take you two months. Once you get used to the style of questions and start seeing the repeated themes you will get the hang of UKCAT pretty quick.
What you can do though is start prepping the skills for ukcat. Brush up on your basic maths using GCSE bitesize. Get used to doing mental maths as it will make QR much easier if you can do some of the maths in your head(the on screen calc is a bit of a pain). For VR read newspaper articles/ a page or two of a textbook/non fiction book and get used to summarising the key points quickly, and also look at the style of writing etc.

I suppose it also depends on which test is more important to you? Are you mainly hoping to apply to all ukcat or mainly GAMSAT schools or a mix?
Personally I've only ever sat the UKCAT, but judging from what I've read on here, the GAMSAT needs a much bigger time investment. If you can get the ukcat out of the way its probably a good idea.

Oh and the maths in the 600q book is notoriously hard and not really representative of the real thing.

Spot on advice.

I booked the UKCAT for the first day of testing last year, because I knew I as applying to more GAMSAT schools.
I fell quite ill in the run up to the UKCAT and decided not to reschedule as the only dates available were much too close to GAMSAT. You can do well in both exams, but you'll need to be smart about it and prioritise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending