The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2020
Ow haha I love Free Radical Substitution!

I think of it as a married couples Cl2.

The break up and feel free and horny so they want to bang. But they're naughty and only go for taken men/women :perv:

So Cl. has an affair with CH4 :sad: and CH4 break up :sad:

So

Cl. + CH4 --> CH3. + HCl

So now Cl. has a bae, but CH3 is baeless and horny :frown:

So CH3. breaks up Cl2 :frown:

CH3. + Cl2 --> CH3Cl + Cl.

So now CH3. has a bae, but Cl. is baeless and horny :frown:

BUT THEN :ahee:

All the singles bang :sexface:

and live happily ever after :h:
Reply 2021

The break up and feel free and horny so they want to bang. But they're naughty and only go for taken men/women :perv:

So

Cl. + CH4 --> CH3. + HCl

Reply 2022
But anyways lol,

QUESTION :ahee:

Given a sample of solid calcium chloride, contaminated with calcium carbonate, describe test you would perform in order to confirm the presence of:

(I) Calcium Ions

(idk this lol)

(II) Chloride ions

Silver nitrate solution? :angelblush:
Original post by Dinaa
But anyways lol,

Given a sample of solid calcium chloride, contaminated with calcium carbonate, describe test you would perform in order to confirm the presence of:

(I) Calcium Ions

(idk this lol)

(II) Chloride ions

I) flame test calcium goes brick red

II) Add silver nitrate, a white precipitate will form if chloride ions were present, then you could add it to ammonia, silver chloride will dissolve in conc. and dilute ammonia.
Does anyone have any notes on sigma/pi bonding? cheers
Original post by Dinaa
But anyways lol,

(I) Calcium Ions

(idk this lol)

(II) Chloride ions

calcium...flame test? Yellow/red

chloride ions give a white ppt of AgCl with silver nitrate. Dissolved on the addition of dil. Ammonia
Reply 2026
Original post by BBeyond
I) flame test calcium goes brick red

II) Add silver nitrate, a white precipitate will form if chloride ions were present, then you could add it to ammonia, silver chloride will dissolve in conc. and dilute ammonia.

Omg ofc!

also

An equation for the thermal decomposition of Calcium nitrate?

And describe a test that could carry out to show the presence of nitrate ions in a solution of the sample?

Is that the brown NO gas test? or relighting a splint test?
Original post by BBeyond
Does anyone have any notes on sigma/pi bonding? cheers

This video sums it up pretty well:tongue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ree49ge4VA4&list=PL60FF39CE25DE9C8D&index=1
Original post by Dinaa
Omg ofc!

also

An equation for the thermal decomposition of Calcium nitrate?

And describe a test that could carry out to show the presence of nitrate ions in a solution of the sample?

Is that the brown NO gas test? or relighting a splint test?

np :smile:

2Ca(NO3)2 -> 2CaO + 4NO2 +O2

could be either, would relight a glowing splint as O2 is produced, but a brown NO2 gas is also produced :tongue:

cheers brah will check this out
On section B, /60, i only seem to be getting like 45~ marks. Find it hard to revise for stuff that can come up in section B I don't know why:frown:
Reply 2030

Hai :smile:

Why is it sp2 hybridised?
Original post by jshep000
On section B, /60, i only seem to be getting like 45~ marks. Find it hard to revise for stuff that can come up in section B I don't know why:frown:

What you getting on section A, if you get 19-20/20 on section A that should 100% be an A, but an A is normally much lower than 65 anyway so you should be fine :tongue:
Original post by Dinaa

Good website for it:

http://www.mhhe.com/physsci/chemistry/carey5e/Ch02/ch2-3-2.html
Original post by BBeyond
What you getting on section A, if you get 19-20/20 on section A that should 100% be an A, but an A is normally much lower than 65 anyway so you should be fine :tongue:

Like 15~ sometimes I make silly mistakes if there is calculation questions on the multiple choice. Then I could mess up a little bit on section B and not get an A for that paper.:eek: You just been doing past papers to revise for section B?

Original post by Dinaa

hiiii :biggrin: Because the carbon had 3 attached groups I think, so it has 2 hydrogens and a carbon which makes it 3. So it is 360/3= 120 as the angle
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dinaa

Omfg you're back?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait do we need to know about this for edexcel? First I've ever heard of this.
Original post by jshep000
Like 15~ sometimes I make silly mistakes if there is calculation questions on the multiple choice. Then I could mess up a little bit on section B and not get an A for that paper.:eek: You just been doing past papers to revise for section B?

Oh just take your time :tongue: 1hr30 is more than enough! :biggrin: Yeah pretty much, although apparently there was a fair amount I wasn't taught :angry:
Original post by BBeyond
Oh just take your time :tongue: 1hr30 is more than enough! :biggrin: Yeah pretty much, although apparently there was a fair amount I wasn't taught :angry:

Ah sound, I'll just go through the past papers and do section B bits then :biggrin: What happened, what stuff did you not get taught?:eek:
Original post by Dinaa

So

Cl. + CH4 --> CH3. + HCl

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: this is great
Original post by BBeyond
Wait do we need to know about this for edexcel? First I've ever heard of this.

Well I don't know about the current Edexcel spec, I'm not sure if they changed it from when I last did it (2010-2012) but all the hybridisation stuff is stuff I covered in first year of uni and we didn't need to know it for A-level. I'm not sure why you guys would even need to be introduced to it at such an early stage :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest