The Student Room Group

Choosing a-levels-biology or english lit?

I'm choosing the a levels i want to study next year and I'm not sure whether to go with biology (ocr) or english literature (aqa) as my fourth option.
My main issue is that I can't read a book I don't like, and so this could seriously affect me if I chose literature, but I've heard biology gets hard, fast. I'm naturally good at these subjects, so its hard to make a decision between the two.

The other subjects I'm planning on taking are business, law and psychology.
Any advice??
Original post by kirstybecs
I'm choosing the a levels i want to study next year and I'm not sure whether to go with biology (ocr) or english literature (aqa) as my fourth option.
My main issue is that I can't read a book I don't like, and so this could seriously affect me if I chose literature, but I've heard biology gets hard, fast. I'm naturally good at these subjects, so its hard to make a decision between the two.

Any advice??

I believe Biology is quite pointless without Chemistry (such a hypocrite cos I do Bio without Chem hah), English looks like it could go well with your other subjects. A Levels are hard, with English I guess you just have to read the book, just think if you dont like the book you either read it or get a U.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you asked your sixth form about which books you'll be studying?
Reply 3
If I were you, I'd choose Eng Literature. Biology doesn't fit with other chosen subject. Furthermore, literature will develop you psychologically and mentally as well, give you critical thinking. I know a person who has studied English lit, man he's so smart and nice.
Reply 4
Original post by loperdoper
Have you asked your sixth form about which books you'll be studying?

at AS you study twelfth night, the importance of being earnest, emma and one of your own choice
A2 you study the kite runner, songs of innocence, the handmaid's tale and again, another of your own choice
Reply 5
Yeah i'd say English Lit too. I believe it can help you with your essay writing in psychology and it goes with your other choices too. :-)
biology is bae:heart:
i find biology the most godawful topic i have every studied
English lit is so piss easy it's all about exam technique and knowledge of the books

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did both Biology and English Lit and at the end came out with a C and an A respectively - they are both hard subjects to do. A lot of Biology is just about learning, while English is applying, so it depends if you feel you have a good memory. Also, both subjects go with your other chosen subjects, but it depends on what degree you're looking at - I do Psychology now and find that Alevel Biology has really helped for some of the modules, but English has also really helped in terms of essay writing and report reading. There are also some psychological aspects discussed in English especially if you do the Gothic in A2
Ultimately its up to you - you can always swap in the first few weeks if you really hate the one you choose!
Reply 10

Any advice??

I do AQA Bio and Psychology. Bio is okay and needs a lot of understanding. If you can apply your knowledge to new things then its simple. Psychology is also good and easy except that you have many case studies to revise
at AS you study twelfth night, the importance of being earnest, emma and one of your own choice
A2 you study the kite runner, songs of innocence, the handmaid's tale and again, another of your own choice

Have you looked up those books, seen if they'd appeal to you, etc?

Biology isn't bad, but a bad topic can ruin the enjoyment of the subject (at A2 right now all of the first exam is on things like excretion, photosynthesis, respiration, and I really dislike it so it sours a lot of A2 for me)

Quick Reply

Latest