The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Lau14
True, but also the more frustrating the exam is!

Looking at old past papers is pretty useful for this!

They might ask you to do calculations using the values/graph etc from task 1 or 2, but they will give you any equations you need so it's usually just a case of knowing how to use your calculator.

They can ask for details on what you did/why/how if the instructions left something up to you.

Different types of error and how it effects results/how to correct for it or reduce it. All your basic practical knowledge (control, independent, dependent variables) can be tested but usually will give very few marks. Percentage error/uncertainty might come up.

They had an unusual graph on last years paper (and as it's been said, June 14 papers are now up on the AQA site) that you had to effectively plot points and take readings from.

Explaining how something shows proportionality comes up sometimes.

Sometimes there are questions on an unusual piece of equipment/one you aren't expected to know about or have seen before and they want you to apply your knowledge.

One is usually on a different experiment, and there's limited topics to choose from this year. Thermal physics (specific heat capacity etc) is probably the easiest they can go but it did come up last year unfortunately so that's unlikely. There could be a different one on simple harmonic motion (see 2013's paper). Basically it'll be on a topic you know, but often an experiment that is hard to do in class.

They might give you data and ask you to do something with it/answer questions about it.

Overall I would definitely recommend reading old papers to see what's come up before - you almost certainly won't get the same question again but it's worth being familiar with the style and structure.

True!

And nice advice, thanks for sharing :smile:

Rather nervous that mine is now 2 days away :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Haha! Have you had a mock on them yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've had a mock on Chem4/5, Phys5, but not Phys4 yet. I'm leaving that untouched until I sit the mock in it. I'm more excited about the maths papers, although I do OCR, maths is maths and so the more questions the better
Reply 582
Original post by CD223
True!

And nice advice, thanks for sharing :smile:

Rather nervous that mine is now 2 days away :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm just not really thinking about mine... Which is probably bad because it's at the end of next week but oh well! I'm going to be/have been productive today and tomorrow so I can have Monday free, some Physics should get done eventually.
Original post by Lau14
True, but also the more frustrating the exam is!

Looking at old past papers is pretty useful for this!

They might ask you to do calculations using the values/graph etc from task 1 or 2, but they will give you any equations you need so it's usually just a case of knowing how to use your calculator.

They can ask for details on what you did/why/how if the instructions left something up to you.

Different types of error and how it effects results/how to correct for it or reduce it. All your basic practical knowledge (control, independent, dependent variables) can be tested but usually will give very few marks. Percentage error/uncertainty might come up.

They had an unusual graph on last years paper (and as it's been said, June 14 papers are now up on the AQA site) that you had to effectively plot points and take readings from.

Explaining how something shows proportionality comes up sometimes.

Sometimes there are questions on an unusual piece of equipment/one you aren't expected to know about or have seen before and they want you to apply your knowledge.

One is usually on a different experiment, and there's limited topics to choose from this year. Thermal physics (specific heat capacity etc) is probably the easiest they can go but it did come up last year unfortunately so that's unlikely. There could be a different one on simple harmonic motion (see 2013's paper). Basically it'll be on a topic you know, but often an experiment that is hard to do in class.

They might give you data and ask you to do something with it/answer questions about it.

Overall I would definitely recommend reading old papers to see what's come up before - you almost certainly won't get the same question again but it's worth being familiar with the style and structure.

Thank you so much! I really need to get my practical knowledge in gear :s-smilie:
Reply 584
Original post by Protoxylic
I've had a mock on Chem4/5, Phys5, but not Phys4 yet. I'm leaving that untouched until I sit the mock in it. I'm more excited about the maths papers, although I do OCR, maths is maths and so the more questions the better

Ah nice! Are you applying to uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Ah nice! Are you applying to uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Already have, currently holding offers from Cambridge and Durham :tongue:
Reply 586
Original post by Lau14
I'm just not really thinking about mine... Which is probably bad because it's at the end of next week but oh well! I'm going to be/have been productive today and tomorrow so I can have Monday free, some Physics should get done eventually.

I share that attitude haha. I've done a bit of maths, computing and history today. Gonna spend the time around my shift at work tomorrow doing physics, as well as on Monday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 587
Already have, currently holding offers from Cambridge and Durham :tongue:

Wow, which course? What are their offers? Well done :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Wow, which course? What are their offers? Well done :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

NatSci(Physical) for Cambridge -A*A*A and MChem for Durham - A*AA. Thanks :smile:
Reply 589
NatSci(Physical) for Cambridge -A*A*A and MChem for Durham - A*AA. Thanks :smile:

Wow doesn't even begin to describe it haha! Congrats. What subjects do you take? (Sorry if I've already asked).
Original post by CD223
Wow doesn't even begin to describe it haha! Congrats. What subjects do you take? (Sorry if I've already asked).

Physics, Chemistry, Maths and I self teach Further Maths. :tongue:
Reply 591
Physics, Chemistry, Maths and I self teach Further Maths. :tongue:

That's truly incredible aha! Can't say I'm surprised at those uni offers now! Good luck :smile:

How have you been revising physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 592
Original post by CD223
I share that attitude haha. I've done a bit of maths, computing and history today. Gonna spend the time around my shift at work tomorrow doing physics, as well as on Monday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've just done maths today, and a little chemistry last night... tomorrow afternoon should include at least some physics though!
Reply 593
Original post by Lau14
I've just done maths today, and a little chemistry last night... tomorrow afternoon should include at least some physics though!

Ah good luck with that :smile: hate how uncertain I am regarding the EMPA.

Wish it wasn't in the sports hall either! Apparently you used to be able to sit it in class :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 594
Original post by CD223
Ah good luck with that :smile: hate how uncertain I am regarding the EMPA.

Wish it wasn't in the sports hall either! Apparently you used to be able to sit it in class :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

We did ours in class last year (it does make it more relaxed!) but this year we're down to the brand new exam rooms... in the basement of the building on the other side of town. Which we went to see (I don't have any lessons down there) after the last physics task, and it's awful :/ also there's not going to be enough space for going in and out of exams because we have to wait outside and get called in row by row usually and all the rooms are off one little corridor?
Reply 595
Original post by Lau14
We did ours in class last year (it does make it more relaxed!) but this year we're down to the brand new exam rooms... in the basement of the building on the other side of town. Which we went to see (I don't have any lessons down there) after the last physics task, and it's awful :/ also there's not going to be enough space for going in and out of exams because we have to wait outside and get called in row by row usually and all the rooms are off one little corridor?

Ugh lucky! I had to do it in the Sports Hall and it was my first time in there so I freaked and got a C haha. Should probably have resat it this year but I guess it doesn't count to A2 that much.
Reply 596
Original post by CD223
Ugh lucky! I had to do it in the Sports Hall and it was my first time in there so I freaked and got a C haha. Should probably have resat it this year but I guess it doesn't count to A2 that much.

It's probably not worth the stress of redoing EMPAs unless you do awfully enough to actually affect the final grade really, especially since they usually do them at the same time as A2 ones (at least, our college does. My friend has done the practicals for A2 biology, AS physics and A2 physics all last week and has all her written papers this week!).
Looking at the June 2013 EMPA paper (6X) and I may be being thick, but how does the time between energy transfer of oscillations relate to the time period?
Original post by CD223
That's truly incredible aha! Can't say I'm surprised at those uni offers now! Good luck :smile:

How have you been revising physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh thanks :smile:

Lots of past papers for Physics. You can be confident in the content, but if you can't nail exam technique then it's useless.
Original post by aprocrastinator
Looking at the June 2013 EMPA paper (6X) and I may be being thick, but how does the time between energy transfer of oscillations relate to the time period?

They are the same I think for this context. Always ask questions whether you think there silly or not :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending