The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IdeasForLife
I don't think it works like that and you don't have make up years and years of salah. Please correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

I was always under the impression that you would make tawbah in such a situation.

Full read - http://islamqa.info/en/7969

I was taught in school you have to make up all those years :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar

Posted from TSR Mobile

I might've misinterpreted the Islamqa article in that case.

Original post by ThatMuslimGuy
x

Original post by ash92:)
x

Original post by Ibn Fulaan
1st

Any ideas? Need your helps.

If you miss like 10 years of prayer, do you have to make them up or do you just repent sincerely?

If you miss like 10 years of prayer, do you have to make them up or do you just repent sincerely?

Hmmm let's see

Posted from TSR Mobile

i don't want to know the answer to this question because if it turns out i have to make up for all those salah's i won't do it. It's impossible :s-smilie: I'm having difficulty even praying 5 salah. Islam is asking too much of me :mad:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HAnwar

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Keke000
i don't want to know the answer to this question because if it turns out i have to make up for all those salah's i won't do it. It's impossible :s-smilie: I'm having difficulty even praying 5 salah. Islam is asking too much of me :mad:

From what I'm reading it seems that if you've deliberately missed them due to laziness and such. You don't have to do them all.

"*If she did not have any excuse for missing the prayers, but denied that they are obligatory, or thought that they did not matter, or was too lazy to do them, then the correct scholarly view is that if a person who does not pray because he does not think the prayers are obligatory, or he is too lazy or he thinks they do not matter, there is no way that he can make up these prayers."

http://islamqa.info/en/7969
http://islamqa.info/en/82326

Posted from TSR Mobile

The general gist of scholarly opinion appears to be similar to this Q/A:

http://www.onislam.net/english/ask-the-scholar/acts-of-worship/prayer/obligatory-prayer/169278-making-up-for-years-of-missed-prayer.html

There does seem to be a difference of opinion on it. But I find myself agreeing more with Ibn Taymiyyah's point of view that:

Ibn Taymiyyah, while advancing this point of view, further states: “To insist that a person who has strayed away from Islam for a number of years and then returns to the fold of Islam must make qadha’ of all his missed prayers serves only as a deterrent against his repentance, and thus it amounts to limiting the infinite mercy of Allah.” He, therefore, dismisses this view and rules that it is sufficient for him to repent, make lots of istighfar (asking forgiveness) and good works.

The reason I say this is appreciation of the physical impossibility attached to making up missed prayers in some cases- for example if a man starts practicing Islam at the age of 70 then he cannot hope, despite his best efforts and intentions, to make up all the prayers he has missed throughout his life. Striving towards that goal is of course the best option and as long as we do that and make repentance with the best of intentions, we should not doubt the mercy of Allah in this matter.

That's just my take on it. Feel free to agree or disagree. Allahu Alim :smile:

Some more links:

http://islamqa.info/en/111783
http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?336648-Do-I-have-to-make-up-6-years-of-Missed-salah
Original post by Keke000

From what I have seen on this topic is that:
If the person knows how much prayers they have missed and can remember then then they have to re do them. But if it was over a long period of years then the individual must concentrate on their current prayers repent true repentance and pray as much nafal as they can, as according to the hadith:
If the obligatory deeds come up short, Then Allah swt will say does my servant have any nafal to topup their good deeds.
And the prophet pbuh said in the hadith:
الإسلام يهدم ما كان قبله والتوبة تهدم ماكان قبلها‏"‏
Islam destroys/cleanses all that came before (sins) and repentance destroys/cleanses all that came before.
And the scholars say that this opinion is الارجح most correct, or closest to correct than the opinion of praying back 10 years worth of missed prayer.
The scholars who accept that no backdating prayers is required include:
Ibn baz, ibn taymiyaah, ibn hazm, ibn qayiim al jawziyaah and others

But if the prayers are not many and can be counted eg a week's worth of prayer then it is better and more rewarding to give back the debt you owe as salah is a debt.
God knows best.
Original post by Inzamam99
The general gist of scholarly opinion appears to be similar to this Q/A:

http://www.onislam.net/english/ask-the-scholar/acts-of-worship/prayer/obligatory-prayer/169278-making-up-for-years-of-missed-prayer.html

There does seem to be a difference of opinion on it. But I find myself agreeing more with Ibn Taymiyyah's point of view that:

Ibn Taymiyyah, while advancing this point of view, further states: “To insist that a person who has strayed away from Islam for a number of years and then returns to the fold of Islam must make qadha’ of all his missed prayers serves only as a deterrent against his repentance, and thus it amounts to limiting the infinite mercy of Allah.” He, therefore, dismisses this view and rules that it is sufficient for him to repent, make lots of istighfar (asking forgiveness) and good works.

The reason I say this is appreciation of the physical impossibility attached to making up missed prayers in some cases- for example if a man starts practicing Islam at the age of 70 then he cannot hope, despite his best efforts and intentions, to make up all the prayers he has missed throughout his life. Striving towards that goal is of course the best option and as long as we do that and make repentance with the best of intentions, we should not doubt the mercy of Allah in this matter.

That's just my take on it. Feel free to agree or disagree. Allahu Alim :smile:

Some more links:

http://islamqa.info/en/111783
http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?336648-Do-I-have-to-make-up-6-years-of-Missed-salah

JazaakAllahu Khayran for sharing bro. I also find myself leaning towards Ibn Taymiyyah's viewpoint. The islamqa article was very informative

:yy:

Haven't read the other two links yet :₩

Posted from TSR Mobile
JZK for the clarification everyone :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Keke000
Sleeping on the floor :K:

But yes, i will make dua insha allah

Sleeping on the floor isn't so bad if you have carpet, if not you can double up the duvet like a cocoon of sorts lol. I sleep on the floor because when I moved out for my first year of uni, brother nicked my room! Also, I prefer it in the summer when the bed gets too warm.

Advantages of Sleeping on the Floor
1. The main advantage is the health benefit. Improved blood circulation, corrected posture, prevention of back and neck pain, and reduction in risk of scoliosis are all researched pluses to sleeping on the floor.
2. You won’t have trouble getting out of bed in the morning. Waking up on time improves productivity...

Spoiler

Original post by Al-farhan
From what I have seen on this topic is that:
If the person knows how much prayers they have missed and can remember then then they have to re do them. But if it was over a long period of years then the individual must concentrate on their current prayers repent true repentance and pray as much nafal as they can, as according to the hadith:
If the obligatory deeds come up short, Then Allah swt will say does my servant have any nafal to topup their good deeds.
And the prophet pbuh said in the hadith:
الإسلام يهدم ما كان قبله والتوبة تهدم ماكان قبلها‏"‏
Islam destroys/cleanses all that came before (sins) and repentance destroys/cleanses all that came before.
And the scholars say that this opinion is الارجح most correct, or closest to correct than the opinion of praying back 10 years worth of missed prayer.
The scholars who accept that no backdating prayers is required include:
Ibn baz, ibn taymiyaah, ibn hazm, ibn qayiim al jawziyaah and others

But if the prayers are not many and can be counted eg a week's worth of prayer then it is better and more rewarding to give back the debt you owe as salah is a debt.
God knows best.

Seen your post late for some reason.

JazaakAllahu Khayran for the info bro

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ImNotMe
Sleeping on the floor isn't so bad if you have carpet, if not you can double up the duvet like a cocoon of sorts lol. I sleep on the floor because when I moved out for my first year of uni, brother nicked my room! Also, I prefer it in the summer when the bed gets too warm.

1. The main advantage is the health benefit. Improved blood circulation, corrected posture, prevention of back and neck pain, and reduction in risk of scoliosis are all researched pluses to sleeping on the floor.
2. You won’t have trouble getting out of bed in the morning. Waking up on time improves productivity...

Spoiler

thanks but i think i'll sleep in my bed :unsure:
Seen your post late for some reason.

JazaakAllahu Khayran for the info bro

Posted from TSR Mobile

Baraka Allahu feika akhi.
May Allah help us all with our prayers and to worship him better inshaAllah.
Btw, what happened to the great isoc traditions of:
-The quiz
-Daily topic?
they need to be revived.
Original post by Keke000
thanks but i think i'll sleep in my bed :unsure:

haha, fair enough keke. :smile:

Ameen man.

-The quiz
-Daily topic?
they need to be revived.

I think the exams killed them both lol.

Tmg or biryani had the question around 4 days ago.
Original post by ImNotMe

Spoiler

I prefer sleeping on the floor than in my bed, this past week i have slept more on the floor than in my bed. I find it better on a wood floor and carpet.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ibn Fulaan
I prefer sleeping on the floor than in my bed, this past week i have slept more on the floor than in my bed. I find it better on a wood floor and carpet.

Right?! :biggrin:
Also, after I've slept on the floor a while, I find beds too suffocating and marshmallowy anyway.

Temped to create an 'I sleep on the floor'-SOC :rolleyes:
Assalaamu 'alaykum

Original post by Keke000
why should i wear hijab if i'm not attractive? wouldn't it make more sense for only beautiful women to wear them? i feel so depressed sometimes when i wear the hijab but i'm scared of taking it off. Why did god order all women to wear hijab and not just those women he made beautiful.

Firstly, this:

Original post by Ruh
As muslims we are all beautiful under the eyes of Allah swt and therefore it would not be befitting for some to wear hijab and others to not wear it.
Also, and more cucricially, Allah enjoins the use of hijab so that people are judged less by appearance - going for both people who some would consider attractive or unattractive - and judging them more on their character and piety.

Just as a general comment, we all feel self conscious and have our own reasons to attack ourselves and call ourselves ugly but 1. That does not mean that everyone sees you as ugly 2. Your value is not in your looks, its in your character - Masha'Allah people may be born with good looks but people aren't born beautiful under the surface, that beauty is made and nurtured by those who are good, soft, gentle, nice, kind etc.

Secondly, those who do not think themselves to be attractive would be further led to believe this, as if they were 'not worth/not good enough to cover themselves'.
Thirdly, indecency can occur regardless of someone's supposed attractiveness. It is indecency that the shari'ah seeks to prevent.

Ameen

-The quiz
-Daily topic?
they need to be revived.

I'll put this troll in charge of the revival :teehee: :

x
Original post by ImNotMe
Right?! :biggrin:
Also, after I've slept on the floor a while, I find beds too suffocating and marshmallowy anyway.

Temped to create an 'I sleep on the floor'-SOC :rolleyes:

i love sleeping or:proud: just lying down on the floor it soo DAMN comforting :sleep:

Latest

Trending

Trending