The Student Room Group

The WWE Society II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
Yes, to an extent, but it's also about being a star. A genuine, bona fide star.

David Beckham was the football world's - even though Giggs, Scholes were both better players. Reigns needs to be marketable, he needs to attract purchasers, he needs to excite the fanbase with an aura/charisma that Bryan - for all his independent experience and wrestling style - can't match.

Agree with this. Thing ringwork is fairly arbitrary anyway as we all know matches are booked, nobody cares too much about weekly show wrestling matches and everyone steps up their game for the PPV's. Roman makes sense to be the Champ, someone like Bryan doesn't as it seems implausible a guy his size would ever beat Kane or Big Show or... Lesnar.
Reply 1801
Original post by IceyFish
Lesnar

Lesnar should just be booked as a mercenary from here on out. Due to his part-time schedule, he shouldn't be in the title picture. He should be booked to beat the **** out of everyone - Rollins, Reigns, Cena, Bryan, Orton - when he returns.
Agree with this. Thing ringwork is fairly arbitrary anyway as we all know matches are booked, nobody cares too much about weekly show wrestling matches and everyone steps up their game for the PPV's. Roman makes sense to be the Champ, someone like Bryan doesn't as it seems implausible a guy his size would ever beat Kane or Big Show or... Lesnar.

You missed the Brian era tbh otherwise you'd have a different view towards him
Original post by Mackay
Lesnar should just be booked as a mercenary from here on out. Due to his part-time schedule, he shouldn't be in the title picture. He should be booked to beat the **** out of everyone - Rollins, Reigns, Cena, Bryan, Orton - when he returns.

Yeah. Really annoying having a champ who turns up 3 times a year, I miss the days of champs defending on Raw really. Hopefully they're moving away from Lesnar regaining the title, would be dumb for him to do it now they've built the Orton/Rollens/Reigns rivalry up. Wouldn't mind Cena getting into it myself but I know a lot of you aren't fans.
Original post by AR_95
You missed the Brian era tbh otherwise you'd have a different view towards him

Maybe. I guess image is important to a brand, and having a 5'10" average looking guy isn't as appealing to a good looking, young strapping man like Roman (no homo).
Reply 1805
Yeah. Really annoying having a champ who turns up 3 times a year, I miss the days of champs defending on Raw really. Hopefully they're moving away from Lesnar regaining the title, would be dumb for him to do it now they've built the Orton/Rollens/Reigns rivalry up. Wouldn't mind Cena getting into it myself but I know a lot of you aren't fans.

I'm dying for an Orton-Wyatt programme, and then a three-way Shield feud throughout summer. It would give Ambrose some direction and you could book him to get near falls against Rollins/Reigns for months on end, and you could book Reigns to win the strap at SummerSlam in a triple threat - and that could make Ambrose snap and he could turn heel.

Cena could feud with Sheamus or BNB or somebody, Ziggler could take whoever is left out of that pair, Harper and Ryback could feud and Neville gets Rusev.

Win win. 2015 sorted.
Maybe. I guess image is important to a brand, and having a 5'10" average looking guy isn't as appealing to a good looking, young strapping man like Roman (no homo).

Didn't really want to go into it but technical/in ring ability goes a long way in terms of what the fans or the IWC "internet wrestling community" think, and how much they accept a wrestler. The matches are booked yes but you want the matches to look believable, to tell a story essentially. You want the character to be charismatic tbh and not to say Reigns can't be but he lacks in some departments.

It's why stars such as Ziggler, Brian, Jericho, Shawn Michaels, Eddie Guerrero, CM Punk(my favourite) are so popular and successful, because they were adored by the fans. For being good both in ring and off.

Reigns is a poster boy and that's all he'll be. He had one chance to solidify his name and he was overshadowed by Rollins, whilst being carried by Lesnar.
But there's a good reason to why he was boo'd after the Rumble win and why Brian received one of the loudest reactions from the crowd since the attitude era :

[video="youtube;SpWZ32YTFw4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpWZ32YTFw4[/video]

His popularity amongst the crowd alone pretty much took over WWE. Very few wrestlers have managed to achieve that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
Didn't really want to go into it but technical/in ring ability goes a long way in terms of what the fans or the IWC "internet wrestling community" think, and how much they accept a wrestler. The matches are booked yes but you want the matches to look believable, to tell a story essentially. You want the character to be charismatic tbh and not to say Reigns can't be but he lacks in some departments.

It's why stars such as Ziggler, Brian, Jericho, Shawn Michaels, Eddie Guerrero, CM Punk(my favourite) are so popular and successful, because they were adored by the fans. For being good both in ring and off.

Reigns is a poster boy and that's all he'll be. He had one chance to solidify his name and he was overshadowed by Rollins, whilst being carried by Lesnar.
But there's a good reason to why he was boo'd after the Rumble win and why Brian received one of the loudest reactions from the crowd since the attitude era :

[video="youtube;SpWZ32YTFw4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpWZ32YTFw4[/video]

His popularity amongst the crowd alone pretty much took over WWE. Very few wrestlers have managed to achieve that.

Maybe so, I guess its opinion based. I've always preferred powerhouses like Taker, Kane, The Rock, Batista, HHH etc to those underdog types so I guess I resonate more with someone like Reigns. I also don't like Bryan's ringstyle personally, uses momentum which is fair enough but half of his moves are kicks which are too set up for my liking (e.g when they wait on their knees for him to kick them ffs). For me the Champ should provide the image of the strongest man in the roster (things like Cena being able to AA Show), I just don't really like the idea of the Champ being an underdog if that makes sense.
Reply 1808
Nobody's denying you need the Bryan's, Ziggler's, Guerrero's and Benoit's.

Fact is, Ziggler/Bryan just won't be the top guy.
Guerrero wasn't. Benoit wasn't. Jericho wasn't. They had the Rock, Austin, Triple H, Kurt Angle and The Undertaker above them.

It's the same with Ziggler/Bryan. They are wonderful workers, the best in the ring in the WWE, technically gifted, but they don't have the same market appeal and commerciability.

Hence, Cena, Reigns, Lesnar and Orton will always prevail as constants. The best Bryan/Ziggler can hope for is getting the strap temporarily as part of a movement. I have the feeling Ambrose will go the same way.
Original post by Mackay

Guerrero wasn't. Benoit wasn't. Jericho wasn't. They had the Rock, Austin, Triple H, Kurt Angle and The Undertaker above them.

It's the same with Ziggler/Bryan. They are wonderful workers, the best in the ring in the WWE, technically gifted, but they don't have the same market appeal and commerciability.

Hence, Cena, Reigns, Lesnar and Orton will always prevail as constants. The best Bryan/Ziggler can hope for is getting the strap temporarily as part of a movement. I have the feeling Ambrose will go the same way.

Shawn was. Punk was. Rollins will. Let's not forget Bryan WAS at the top before his injury.

Ambrose is destined for the midcard. Anyways my point is that small guys can be at the top, not that they're the best or always should be
Original post by CrimsonRainDrops
Man, look at this gif of Roman Reigns getting touched up by this girl at the top of the staircase and playing it cool.

We all wish we were roman at this point.

http://www.thesportster.com/wrestling/girl-feels-up-roman-reigns-and-then-freaks-out/

Reminds me of:

Original post by Mackay
That's why he's the next top guy. You don't see Bryan making women swoon.

You don't see Stone Cold making women swoon. The Rock, while he was very confident, never stood out as a female idol, not even today. They say he's funny or just Rock, not omg hot. Women never actually talked about how amazingly good-looking Ric Flair was, that was a character. Cena has that effect but only on little girls, I've always found Cena to usually be the ugliest guy on the roster.

There isn't a big pool to judge from those, as most women aren't aware of wrestlers. Maybe during the attitude era they knew of Taker, Rock and Austin, and now a few know Brock because of UFC, but that's it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1811
Original post by AR_95
Shawn was. Punk was. Rollins will. Let's not forget Bryan WAS at the top before his injury.

He was shoehorned into the top because of fan power. He never will - and never has - overtaken Cena. That's what I'm saying. There's a difference between being the face of the company and being at the top of the card.
Man, look at this gif of Roman Reigns getting touched up by this girl at the top of the staircase and playing it cool.

http://www.thesportster.com/wrestling/girl-feels-up-roman-reigns-and-then-freaks-out/

She literally tried to make herself Roman's GF there and then, props to her.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
She literally tried to make herself Roman's GF there and then, props to her.

Hi
Original post by ozzyoscy
Reminds me of:

That was 10 times better, yeah this is what I'm talking about. That guy looks like he hasn't slept in weeks, yet he gets a girl like AJ Lee and made that girl spaz out.
(edited 8 years ago)

Disappointed Reigns didn't drop a wink..

Original post by Mackay

Bryan was at the top before his injury though, his level of popularity was insane and managed to get every single person in the arena to do the "yes" chant. He was so over that there were tonnes of boos in the last Royal Rumble because he didn't compete. Even this year Roman Reigns got booed at Royal Rumble because Daniel Bryan didn't go on to win it after getting knocked out so early.
Reply 1817
Always thought Punk looked like a young Christian Bale. He'd make me swoon.
Original post by Mackay
Always thought Punk looked like a young Christian Bale. He'd make me swoon.

You catch this weeks Raw? Shield (kinda) reuniting was cool, wish they would get back together. A Rollins turn to face with Reigns and Ambrose protecting his title would be cool, very cool.
Reply 1819
Original post by Depleted
You catch this weeks Raw? Shield (kinda) reuniting was cool, wish they would get back together. A Rollins turn to face with Reigns and Ambrose protecting his title would be cool, very cool.

There was talk pre-WM31 that Reigns would win the championship, Ambrose would have the IC belt and Rollins would hold the MITB contract in some sort of Shield reunion domination thing.

Quick Reply

Latest