The Student Room Group

Why Is Crossfit Bad?

never done it but don't know much about it either.

is it one of those fad things like Zumba?
Mainly because of the technique/form - trying to lift weights too heavy at speed is a sure recipe for injury. Nice idea to combine weights/cardio/plyo etc but not the best implementation imho. Also found it to be a bit cult-ish with people giving me funny looks because i didn`t follow the paleo diet etc
Reply 2
Read this, it's fairly balanced and well informed
Reply 3
Original post by BKS
Read this, it's fairly balanced and well informed

Good article but I would do CrossFit. If you look at the guys/girls who do it I don't know one who doesn't have a great figure. IMO it > weights for every day things
Reply 4
Original post by UKIProud
Good article but I would do CrossFit. If you look at the guys/girls who do it I don't know one who doesn't have a great figure. IMO it > weights for every day things

If you're goal is looks then I think it's by definition bodybuilding that is the best training type (don't mistake all bodybuilding for getting huge). Not that you can't end up looking 'good' (in the normative sense) from cross fit, it's just never going to be the most efficient way
Try olympic lifting, its not got a bad rep like crossfit.

lu xiaojun <- amazing physique, 3x world champ
Reply 6
Original post by Stickyelmo
Try olympic lifting, its not got a bad rep like crossfit.

lu xiaojun <- amazing physique, 3x world champ

I dislike CrossFit because of it's attitude towards Olympic Lifting. It is very unwise to practice Olympic Lifting without a qualified coach. And I don't care what Mark Rippetoe or the internet says otherwise. They are highly technical lifts and can quite easily lead to injuries if inexperienced people attempt heavy Oly lifts.

Lu Xiaojun has amazing genetics and certainly does extra hypertrophy work. That physique is not from Oly lifting alone.
Reply 7
Original post by Lisagurlxx
never done it but don't know much about it either.

is it one of those fad things like Zumba?

i think the only problem with cross fit is that its fairly new and trendy.

so lots of conventional fitness types don't like it because it feels like its challenging their supremacy. bit of ego related stuff.

on the other hand because its popular every tom dick n harry is trying their hardest to set up a cross fit gym.

problem is some of these people are just making stuff up and are telling people to do some pretty dangerous stuff. theres people who know what their doing and have a good gym and then theres those who don't.

but cross fit isn't this new kid on the block that everyone thinks it is.

the army and martial arts scene has done a lot of these exercises for a long time.

i think old school jack dempsy style boxing training mixed with rugby training is the best kinda cross fit training you can do.
Original post by JD1lla
I dislike CrossFit because of it's attitude towards Olympic Lifting. It is very unwise to practice Olympic Lifting without a qualified coach. And I don't care what Mark Rippetoe or the internet says otherwise. They are highly technical lifts and can quite easily lead to injuries if inexperienced people attempt heavy Oly lifts.

Lu Xiaojun has amazing genetics and certainly does extra hypertrophy work. That physique is not from Oly lifting alone.

Aware this is from a year ago, but hey-ho

Crossfit coaches are all qualified.
To become a crossfit coach you have to undergo various training courses with the actual crossfit company.
If the coaches aren't trained by crossfit, then it's not a crossfit gym, simples.
They are highly technical lifts, but if you're going to a proper crossfit, your coaches will also be highy trained.
Problems with crossfit

It is extremely expensive
Wods are unstructured bs
Actual competitive crossfitters do not train crossfit
Training extremely technical lifts that require finesse and flexibility for time is stupid and dangerous
Rhabdomyolysis is considered a joke "Uncle rhabdo"
Crossfit coaches vary from highly qualified coaches with years of experience to Barry who watched the Olympics and can tick some boxes. The latter type of coaches predominante in crossfit gyms
It is a gym not a box
Your pullups are like dying fish
Teaching n00bs to snatch and C+J is idiocy
Paleo diet is so far from healthy or scientific it's hilarious

That was a quick thought, there's many more reasons why crossfit is bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
Problems with crossfit

Wods are unstructured bs
Training extremely technical lifts that require finesse and flexibility for time is stupid and dangerous
Crossfit coaches vary from highly qualified coaches with years of experience to Barry who watched the Olympics and can tick some boxes. The latter type of coaches predominante in crossfit gyms
It is a gym not a box

Posted from TSR Mobile

Add crossfit rowers to the list.
Original post by Angry cucumber
Problems with crossfit

Wods are unstructured bs
It is a gym not a box

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who in their right mind would consider Rhabdo a joke? :wtf:

Quick Reply

Latest