The Student Room Group

A2 Biology OCR June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yua
if you want to sequence a gene then you have to

YEs of course, but DNA don't normally come in fragments and endonucleases might cut a region but won't divide the DNA into fragments that's suggested in gel electrophoresis
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
My teacher never mentioned any of that stuff ;_;

What didn't they mention? There are perks with having a Biology teacher who studied Genetics :')

Edit: You have a mixture of both types of nucleotide bases, the normal ones and the marked terminator ones. You get varied lengths of DNA because the terminator A C G U nucleotides can form H bonds with any of their complementary bases. So you could get one where you have a long strand of normal nucleotide bases, and then the terminator, or another with a shorter strand of nucleotide bases and a terminator. The first strand will be longer than the second.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 602
Original post by AnnekaChan173
What's the point of separating DNA of the same length before amplifying it? When you talk about electrophoresis, you have to talk about how it separates DNA by length. How do we get our different lengths? Interrupted PCR. It's safer putting it in order.

I get what you mean. But one could argue, as it does say it in the book, that fragments cut before sequencing can also be put in size order as it can help to then sequence the fragments from the smallest to the largest fragment (maybe so they sequence fragments in a some form of order). Maybe it's a mistake in the book but I will make sure I put electrophoresis after the sequencing as well. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by a123a
I get what you mean. But one could argue, as it does say it in the book, that fragments cut before sequencing can also be put in size order as it can help to then sequence the fragments from the smallest to the largest fragment (maybe so they sequence fragments in a some form of order). Maybe it's a mistake in the book but I will make sure I put electrophoresis after the sequencing as well. :smile:

Ah I get what you mean now. If we're starting from the sample of DNA, you have to fragment the DNA at first anyway, since you can't sequence a whole genome without cutting it with restriction enzymes (it's too long). You could use electrophoresis to separate it so you could sequence a certain section at a time. I doubt mentioning separating by electrophoresis there would give you a mark, but I guess you can mention it.
What didn't they mention? There are perks with having a Biology teacher who studied Genetics :')

Edit: You have a mixture of both types of nucleotide bases, the normal ones and the marked terminator ones. You get varied lengths of DNA because the terminator A C G U nucleotides can form H bonds with any of their complementary bases. So you could get one where you have a long strand of normal nucleotide bases, and then the terminator, or another with a shorter strand of nucleotide bases and a terminator. The first strand will be longer than the second.

*print screen*

Why would an uracil nucleotide be there? So just to clarify, the shorter fragments will travel faster? Then what's stopping the anti-sense strand mucking things up?
*print screen*

Why would an uracil nucleotide be there? So just to clarify, the shorter fragments will travel faster? Then what's stopping the anti-sense strand mucking things up?

Ah ignore me, that's supposed to be thymine. It's definitely late :') the shorter fragments will travel faster. They never state anything about that you know, that's always been confusing tbh
Ah ignore me, that's supposed to be thymine. It's definitely late :') the shorter fragments will travel faster. They never state anything about that you know, that's always been confusing tbh

Well, I don't know about you but I can only productively revise at night.

I've noticed a couple of facts that don't quite add up in our course and my teachers can't quite answer me either, like why is mRNA single stranged and why no RNA nucleotides casually bind to the bases and whatnot. It seems unlikely that an mRNA molecule to whisk through the nucleus and cytoplasm without anything binding onto it but hey, I guess that's what uni would be for

I've noticed a couple of facts that don't quite add up in our course and my teachers can't quite answer me either, like why is mRNA single stranged and why no RNA nucleotides casually bind to the bases and whatnot. It seems unlikely that an mRNA molecule to whisk through the nucleus and cytoplasm without anything binding onto it but hey, I guess that's what uni would be for

I'm usually a night owl too actually, but I refuse to revise on my birthday~
Exactly, they leave so much out. So many things that we should know about that aren't syllabus points. It's crazy.
I'm usually a night owl too actually, but I refuse to revise on my birthday~
Exactly, they leave so much out. So many things that we should know about that aren't syllabus points. It's crazy.

Happy Birthday then! :smile: Throw away the books and past papers and may the long weekend give you pints of cider and pina colada!

The thing I find unreasonable is how they add something totally random in the middle of a chapter, like the brain which isn't very big content wise and we cover the necessary bits in unit 4 but they just seem to like the give us heaps to learn

RNA is at risk of binding to other stuff (nucleotides etc) I think (possibly am wrong) that it doesn't because a single strand RNA molecule can fold up on itself and form base pairs with other regions of itself. This leads to the RNA having a very specific three dimensional structure which is important for its functioning.
Original post by laurenemilyxx
RNA is at risk of binding to other stuff (nucleotides etc) I think (possibly am wrong) that it doesn't because a single strand RNA molecule can fold up on itself and form base pairs with other regions of itself. This leads to the RNA having a very specific three dimensional structure which is important for its functioning.

You mean like the tRNA structure? And would it be too much to ask how/what breaks the bonds apart when required for translation? :colondollar:
You mean like the tRNA structure? And would it be too much to ask how/what breaks the bonds apart when required for translation? :colondollar:

Yeah! it can kinda loop round of itself, if you get me, if not google mRNA structure and there are some awesome examples of what it can look like:

[h="3"]mRNA circularization is to do with all the bonding and why it bonds etc, i think. But it's getting way to complex for me to try and explain it and makse sense, but you don't really need to know it anyway, and also you would need to know about the different things done to the mRNA before it leaves the nucleus and stuff, and then it being broken down(kind of) and having parts removed etc :confused: sorry i don't really know how to explain xx
Reply 612
Original post by a123a
Could someone explain to me where PCR plays a role in sequencing the genome?
I have memorised the steps for sequencing the genome using BACs and the automated process, but I can't really see where does PCR come into either. I mean, I know the automated is based on PCR, but how?
For the BAC method, in the OCR book it says as the cells grow many copies of the DNA strands are produced and cells containing specific BACs are taken; so is PCR even needed for this method?

Any help would be much appreciated.

You can use interrupted PCR to sequence DNA. This a is where the last bases added is fluorescent and each piece is a different length, meaning a computer can tell you the sequence when you put it in after you separate the different length by electrophoresis :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 613
Original post by Hmht
You can use interrupted PCR to sequence DNA. This a is where the last bases added is fluorescent and each piece is a different length, meaning a computer can tell you the sequence when you put it in after you separate the different length by electrophoresis :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Hmht

Posted from TSR Mobile

Careful with that definition, that implies that we can decide where to add the final base.
Anybody know if the beta cells in the islets of langerhans in the pancreas are chemoreceptors???
Hey guys, I posted something similar like this a few days ago if you remember, but since then i've just had a flick through the whole of f215 and i really hardly know any of it :frown: And i'm freaking out :frown: I thought i would know a decent amount of f215, as i know most of f214 well, but i don't.

Like i said before i still I have to cover the last 2 modules myself, which god willing ill finish by the end of next wk (I've only started the ecosystems module but it seems ok). Now if i can go over most of f215 and memorize most of it before the exams start in June, without doing past papers for f215, do think i could get a low A (or a v.high B like a few UMS away from an A) for f215? Btw I haven't really had any tests/mocks for f215.

Not joking, i feel like im going to fail my exams (btw I need AAB). Please, somebody give me some gd news.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 617
Original post by bakedbeans247
Hey guys, I posted something similar like this a few days ago if you remember, but since then i've just had a flick through the whole of f215 and i really hardly know any of it :frown: And i'm freaking out :frown: I thought i would know a decent amount of f215, as i know most of f214 well, but i don't.

Like i said before i still I have to cover the last 2 modules myself, which god willing ill finish by the end of next wk (I've only started the ecosystems module but it seems ok). Now if i can go over most of f215 and memorize most of it before the exams start in June, without doing past papers for f215, do think i could get a low A (or a v.high B like a few UMS away from an A) for f215? Btw I haven't really had any tests/mocks for f215.

Not joking, i feel like im going to fail my exams (btw I need AAB). Please, somebody give me some gd news.

have you done a f325 paper?
Original post by Yua

Did you mean f215? If so, well sort of, after realising i don't know much of f215, i looked at some Qs of an f215 paper and hardly knew what the answers were, sometimes not knowing what they wanted or not knowing how to accurately answer (keywords etc). But, when i saw the markscheme i did realise what topic/page from the textbook the answers came from.
Original post by bakedbeans247

You have time, don't freak out. If you make notes, do that. If not, use whatever way you learn best. Ecosystems aren't impossible, it's just a problem of memorising it. Don't take too much in at once, it will overwhelm you. Try a module per session perhaps. Read notes/textbook, or if it works better for you, just work on questions open book. Then after doing all of that when we get closer to exams, start doing papers.

Original post by Yua

#IDoOCRAForBothBioAndChemProbs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending