The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cleverasvoltaire
May I ask what your grades are and what prestigious educational institute you attend? You do have to laugh at the state school kids though, its like watching a monkey on roller skates. It means absolutely nothing to them but its still amusing to watch them try.

I'd have to ask you to elaborate on that last part, out of curiosity.
It does really matter what school you go to when it comes to big opportunities like that though, at Harrow there's plentiful opportunities to do things like that. Also you've got to consider the vest schools attract the best pupils. Even though I study maths and I'm Mather good at it, I would hate to go to an international competition to do it.

Yes St Pauls is the best for Maths witjout a doubt but everyone has a chance to go to the IMO you just need to prove yourself in the rounds before BMO etc. You get invited to the IMO whoch is like the top 6 kids in the country fron each country competing against each other. The reason St pauls do so well compared to other schools is because they are used to competition maths. I dont believe harrow have had an IMO team memeber recently in the British team.

Posted from TSR Mobile
May I ask what your grades are and what prestigious educational institute you attend? You do have to laugh at the state school kids though, its like watching a monkey on roller skates. It means absolutely nothing to them but its still amusing to watch them try.

Well, since you asked:

GCSEs: 5A*s and 5As
AS Level predictions: AAAA
I will leave the school where I took my GCSEs unnamed but you can look at my location to see the 'type' of schools in my area.
And of course, watching state school kids trying to do well is very amusing

U joking? I hope so

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
U joking? I hope so

Posted from TSR Mobile

Either way those comments were in very poor taste and could easily be viewed as offensive by those of us not 'privileged' enough to go to a private school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by antisansculotte
I'd have to ask you to elaborate on that last part, out of curiosity.

Education doesn't mean anything to them, like a monkey on roller skates.
However for private school pupils it is amusing to watch them try and succeed- yet fail.
Obviously I was joking- I'm a strong believer in social mobility and I have friends who go to private school with results worse than some state schools. I can't be catching the poverty now, can I? :wink:
U joking? I hope so

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I'm joking. I was quoting an old comedy routine by someone who I can't quite remember.
U joking? I hope so

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by samb1234
Either way those comments were in very poor taste and could easily be viewed as offensive by those of us not 'privileged' enough to go to a private school

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've spent enough time on TSR to recognise trolls...

Don't feed this one!
Original post by enaayrah
I've spent enough time on TSR to recognise trolls...

Don't feed this one!

I apologise, that comment was a troll.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh I go to a public school pretty average/below average academically. Plently of people get in like me and you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps not in the best taste here of all places. Some people use this thread and forum as their only insight into the Oxbridge application process, after all.
Yeh I go to a public school pretty average/below average academically. Plently of people get in like me and you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh I do go to a grammar school but then I did have to do better than 1000 people in the entrance exam to get a place unlike some private schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:troll:

I've waited for ages to use that emoticon!
Perhaps not in the best taste here of all places. Some people use this thread and forum as their only insight into the Oxbridge application process, after all.

Let me clarify then-
I would not discriminate against anyone regardless of education or any other factor(okay maybe if you vote Green)
Cambridge looks to be an excellent university with people from all classes and hard work is rewarded
You will receive probably the best education possible and I strongly recommend it.
I apologise for any mocking comments which are made purely in jest. Posh people aren't actually like that.
Original post by enaayrah
:troll:

I've waited for ages to use that emoticon!

That is quite wonderful. At least one positive has come from this :smile:
Tbh I do go to a grammar school but then I did have to do better than 1000 people in the entrance exam to get a place unlike some private schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just for the sake of balance, I would point out that entrance to schools like Eton and Harrow is based at least partly on various examination results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some private schools are worse than state schools and I think grammar schools are a wonderful thing. Tbh if a private school doesn't have high entry reqs then its not worth going to and there are better state or grammar schools that can save you £30,000 a year :smile:
Just for the sake of balance, I would point out that entrance to schools like Eton and Harrow is based at least partly on various examination results.

I am fully aware of this and I genuinely have nothing against private schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough. Its not a bad thing ofcourse.Atleast you beat that 1000 lol. I filled in some form for 6th form and bang unconditional offer like everybody else lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is quite wonderful. At least one positive has come from this :smile:

I guess so...

But you did create all the negativity :erm:

So, state or grammar? Which one are you really from? :smile:

Latest