The Student Room Group

Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao 2/5

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trrr
Technical masterclass. I thought it was an enthralling fight. It was never going to be an aesthetically pleasing fight in the eyes of a casual.

Yeah, it could have been a lot worse after those first three round, but Manny at least tried to pressure.

But that's just the thing. Commentators kept saying why isn't Manny pressuring. Because he's not a ****ing pressure fighter :frown: he's in and out but those long levers of Floyd just didn't let him come in.

Had it 116-112 to Floyd but only cause I gave Manny the 10th to keep him in the fight. 117-111 is probably more accurate.
Reply 422
Original post by André 3000
This. At least someone understands what went down. It was pure technical boxing at its best. Any true boxing fan would have loved that performance.

Not really. Any true boxing fan would recognise the technical genius of Mayweather, but not necessarily enjoy the performance.

In the same way, any true football fan recognises the skill of tika taka football, but does not have to enjoy it.
Reply 423
The legend Iron Mike!
Original post by SBKA
Not really. Any true boxing fan would recognise the technical genius of Mayweather, but not necessarily enjoy the performance.

In the same way, any true football fan recognises the skill of tika taka football, but does not have to enjoy it.

What was there not to love about that performance? Anyone who understands boxing for what it is would have loved it. Listen to all of the pundits. Every single one of them said it was a boxing masterclass because that is what it was. Sorry, but the internet at the moment is full of people hating on Floyd and some even saying he lost. The reality is these people haven't got a clue about boxing.
Floyd threw 435 punches, landed 148.
Manny threw 429, landed 81.

Floyd just never let Manny get close enough to really cause damage.
Life ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can roll around avoiding punches and picking up judges points to win a few hundred million dollars for your starving kids.
Original post by SBKA
Not really. Any True Boxing Fanwould recognise the technical genius of Mayweather, but not necessarily enjoy the performance.

Whatever. Bla bla bla. That's just ur opinion.
Original post by e aí rapaz
am expecting a boring defensive display from Mayweather resulting in a victory for him.

Called it. So obvious.
Original post by ozzyoscy
The 'casual' shtick is old in all sports, hobbies etc.

In reality, the boxing scene will be disappointed, because you want these fights to pick up a bunch of new fans. It's a rare chance to mass-advertise, which is why they earn ridiculous money for 12 rounds. So when it's boring, the reaction from up top, rightly so, isn't "lol casual haters, dey not hardcore", it's "what can we do to keep more fans?", especially now MMA has taken off and stolen a LOT of fans and made new ones to fighting in one go.

You pick up the 'casual' fans, and some of those will come to enjoy the tactical side, suddenly none of them are casual any more. Casual/hardcore labelling is a silly attempt at self-boosting.

Repped
Reply 430
Is there any chance of Briggs VS Klitschko?
Reply 431
Original post by André 3000
What was there not to love about that performance? Anyone who understands boxing for what it is would have loved it. Listen to all of the pundits. Every single one of them said it was a boxing masterclass because that is what it was. Sorry, but the internet at the moment is full of people hating on Floyd and some even saying he lost. The reality is these people haven't got a clue about boxing.

Loads of the people hating on Mayweather are doing so because of his general character, which is understandable. The pundits are right, it was a technical master class, but even they raised the question on the impact it would have for all the potential new fans that had just dropped £20 to witness a glorified version of cat and mouse. Boxing, as a sport, needed something different tonight.
Reply 432
Original post by Naveed-7
Whatever. Bla bla bla. That's just ur opinion.

Sport is subjective, as our most things. Who am I, or anyone for that matter, to say what people should be excited by in boxing.
Original post by PPF
Is there any chance of Briggs VS Klitschko?

Let's go champ!

Btw, that was a brilliant performance from Floyd. He stayed in the pocket, Manny just knew he couldn't come in.
Original post by SBKA
Loads of the people hating on Mayweather are doing so because of his general character, which is understandable. The pundits are right, it was a technical master class, but even they raised the question on the impact it would have for all the potential new fans that had just dropped £20 to witness a glorified version of cat and mouse. Boxing, as a sport, needed something different tonight.

No offence but anyone expecting anything different with Mayweather in the ring is an idiot. He is a pure boxing technician who works the ropes, uses distance and counter punches cleverly and likes to put on an exhibition rather than go for the knockout. People may say that boxing, for the sake of new fans, needed something different tonight. I don't think so personally. The day boxing becomes all about brawling and spilling blood because people don't like someone is the day the sport will lose everything it was initially about. Even the likes of Tyson had technical dimensions as did Hatton who was also a brawler.

I'm sorry but a lot of casual fans tonight with chips on their shoulder got served a dish they didn't like tonight and now they're throwing their toys out of the pram. They are the equivalent of the plastic or glory supporting football fan and quite frankly the sport is better off without them. The reality is, they'll always pay because they'll always want to see someone like Mayweather who trash talks lose. The hilarious thing is they're too stupid to realise he won't lose because he is levels above anyone out there currently and probably one of a few modern fighters who could step back into a bygone era and cope no problem. He is that good.

Thankfully the fight was settled easily with no disputes and we can move on from all this Pacquiao will beat Mayweather nonsense. All the casuals can go back to doing what they do which is typically hating on those doing better than them or those who they dislike for whatever reason suits their agenda, and the rest of us can go back to appreciating the great sport of boxing for what it is without having to listen to the ridiculousness of how Pacquiao is going to beat Mayweather and how Mayweather is scared. It's not known as the sweet science for nothing.
Brilliant job Floyd
Original post by binarythoughts
Brilliant job Floyd

Do you want to box me, sister :hmmm:

I think i will destroy you :yes:

My right jab and hook and upper-cut are lethal
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by no pain gain

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stop being Haram
Floyd was really the obvious winner.

Pacman doe :frown:
Original post by no pain gain

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
My upper destroy you.Then I'll let the exams KO you :yep:.

Quick Reply

Latest