The Student Room Group

Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao 2/5

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277

Shame I missed the fight, those ********s kept on delaying the ****ing fight.

Fell asleep?

Original post by jam277
Of course he's playing at home in that scenario.

And since when was Stoke home for him? :lol:
When I was shopping on the day, the girl at the till ws trying to talk to people about the fight. She asked me if I was going to watch it etc. She didn't know anything about it, but she was watching it because of all the hype. I warned her that it could be a boring fight, but when I told her it was 12 rounds of 3 minutes, she was shocked and had to double check that with the other staff member there. She said she could be... I forget what she said exactly, but basically along the lines of in and out the pub before even getting tipsy.

She didn't even know how fights were won exactly, probably not sure if it just ends in a knockout or if judges decide all the time, but she was thinking boxing is more action, where fighters try and knock each other out. Which I guess is what it usually is. She and all the others are right to make that assumption, I think. They won't be watching another fight, no matter how much better it could be.

If someone tells her about UFC, though, they might have a new fan solely thanks to this boxing match. She had picked up such an interest in this sport, and it kinda failed her.

It's like when a massive celebrity comes to a ground to watch their first football match, it always ends 0-0.
(edited 8 years ago)
Have to say - this was a pretty boring fight considering the massive hype around it. Shame really, I was looking forward to it!
Reply 463
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Yeah, it could have been a lot worse after those first three round, but Manny at least tried to pressure.

But that's just the thing. Commentators kept saying why isn't Manny pressuring. Because he's not a ****ing pressure fighter :frown: he's in and out but those long levers of Floyd just didn't let him come in.

Had it 116-112 to Floyd but only cause I gave Manny the 10th to keep him in the fight. 117-111 is probably more accurate.

Agreed, I could only see Manny winning about 4 rounds at most. I just think this was a very bad match up stylistically for Manny. You need to have a jab and to be able to cut off the ring against Floyd, Manny's jab is more of a pawing device/range finder and he darts in and out, throwing his punches at range. It was always going to be an uphill battle. If there was one thing that disappointed me, it was the fact that neither fighter was able to score a knock out. This fight definitely needed one.

Anyway, I've heard that Floyd will be relinquishing all his belts, so we can pretty much rule out any chances of him fighting Khan/Thurman/Brook which is pretty annoying. I'm guessing that he will fight Danny Garcia next.

I'm interested in seeing what Manny does at 140 though, a fight with Matthysse would be good.
(edited 8 years ago)
I crashed pretty much as soon as it was over.

I didn't think it was a boring fight at all, however if there was one person to blame for there not being the fireworks some wanted to see it was Manny. I was actually really surprised by him. I do wonder if he just did it for the payday tbh, because he didn't look like the Pacquiao that was billed, the guy that could do what Mayweather has never had to face before. Claims being made he was carrying injuries which is possible, but I was not impressed with what he brought to the table on the night.

Seems to be the same after every Floyd fight. Rather than take aim at his opponent for being yet another fighter who despite the talk showed no ability to make Floyd go through the gears, they seem to round on Floyd for not sacrificing his technical advantage in favour of getting a brawl at 38 years old. We knew what Floyd's preferred fight was, this fight was supposed to be different because Manny Pacquiao was different. Floyd was going to fight on a level than he's ever done before because Manny Pacquiao was on another level.
Have to appreciate just how good Mayweather and how consistent he was controlling that fight over two rounds. I felt he should have lost some points in the first few rounds/6 but after that undoubtedly he had Pacquiao in his pocket.
Reply 466
[h="1"]Pacquiao should have won in an ideal world. [/h]
Original post by Fizzel

Seems to be the same after every Floyd fight. Rather than take aim at his opponent for being yet another fighter who despite the talk showed no ability to make Floyd go through the gears, they seem to round on Floyd for not sacrificing his technical advantage in favour of getting a brawl at 38 years old. We knew what Floyd's preferred fight was, this fight was supposed to be different because Manny Pacquiao was different. Floyd was going to fight on a level than he's ever done before because Manny Pacquiao was on another level.

That would all be true - back in 2010. I know it's been said a million times already but it is true. I was never excited for this fight because it's come way too late. Pacquiao is not the same fighter now. Just a big pay-cheque for everyone involved.
I really wanted Pacquiao to win, but I had a feeling Mayweather would win. :cry:

Has anyone seen this? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/32572399

Apparently it was a shoulder problem that was holding Pacman back.
Reply 469
Original post by ozzyoscy
The 'casual' shtick is old in all sports, hobbies etc.

In reality, the boxing scene will be disappointed, because you want these fights to pick up a bunch of new fans. It's a rare chance to mass-advertise, which is why they earn ridiculous money for 12 rounds. So when it's boring, the reaction from up top, rightly so, isn't "lol casual haters, dey not hardcore", it's "what can we do to keep more fans?", especially now MMA has taken off and stolen a LOT of fans and made new ones to fighting in one go.

You pick up the 'casual' fans, and some of those will come to enjoy the tactical side, suddenly none of them are casual any more. Casual/hardcore labelling is a silly attempt at self-boosting.

You have a point, but there really is not much you can do when most fans only want to see two fighters go all out, "phone booth" fighting. Boxing has never been about doing that - its nothing more than a misconception, a misconception that has been increasingly worsened over the years. Boxing has always been about hitting and not getting hit. Last night was just a meeting of two of the sport's star attractions whose styles would not mesh in a way that would appease a viewer that isn't a regular watcher of the sport (the casual viewer) or a newcomer. There are fighters out there, though, that can satisfy needs of that demographic and they are already being pushed as the future of the sport, so I do think boxing can definitely retain these fans.

I can understand the disappointment and I can see why someone can call it boring but I can't really hold anyone that doesn't know about/understand certain aspects with regards to what goes on in the ring as being credible or a true fan of the sport.
Original post by TheStudent18
I really wanted Pacquiao to win, but I had a feeling Mayweather would win. :cry:

Has anyone seen this? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/32572399

Apparently it was a shoulder problem that was holding Pacman back.

Yeah heard about that.
If he was so worried about his injury he should've postponed the match or something.
I feel like he's just making excuses now because he lost.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by trrr
I can't really hold anyone that doesn't know about/understand certain aspects with regards to what goes on in the ring as being credible or a true fan of the sport.

They're not trying to be a 'true fan', though I hate that label for the same reasons as 'casual' and 'hardcore'. 'Credible fan' is a ridiculous notion. The sport doesn't belong to people who like a certain aspect of something, or have been a fan for X number of years, and neither criteria makes them a better fan than someone else.
Original post by Dirtybit
Fell asleep?

And since when was Stoke home for him? :lol:

Trying to say that he fights like stoke play football.
Original post by jam277
Trying to say that he fights like stoke play football.

He fights like you play football. Ruthless and efficient.
Original post by HAnwar
Yeah heard about that.
If he was so worried about his injury he should've postponed the match or something.
I feel like he's just making excuses now because he lost.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In one of the articles it said he was considering postponing the fight. He was rejected a pain injection which is unfortunate, but I can see why it was probably justified considering all of the drug testing before the fight. If Mayweather had lost, the injection would have been his reason for losing!

Pacquiao threw very few punches and also tired relatively quickly I thought, I know it can't all be blamed on the shoulder, but it probably did have an effect. :cry:

Also, Amir Khan has said both Mayweather and Pacquiao want to arrange fights... Hopefully we can see a Khan v Mayweather fight before Mayweather retires. At least it will be another half-decent attempt at ruining his undefeated reign. :lol:
Original post by IceyFish
He fights like you play football. Ruthless and efficient.

Yeah that's me in FIFA tbh.
Original post by TheStudent18
In one of the articles it said he was considering postponing the fight. He was rejected a pain injection which is unfortunate, but I can see why it was probably justified considering all of the drug testing before the fight. If Mayweather had lost, the injection would have been his reason for losing!

Pacquiao threw very few punches and also tired relatively quickly I thought, I know it can't all be blamed on the shoulder, but it probably did have an effect. :cry:

Also, Amir Khan has said both Mayweather and Pacquiao want to arrange fights... Hopefully we can see a Khan v Mayweather fight before Mayweather retires. At least it will be another half-decent attempt at ruining his undefeated reign. :lol:

Match wasn't even all that lol. I turned it off after a bit.

Yeah that would be great one to watch. I look forward to that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 477
I can see why many people would pick Pacquiao to win, obviously the casual boxing fans with limited knowledge (this is not meant disrespectfully), but anyone that thinks with their head when predicting fights went with Mayweather.

He is superior in every aspect, pretty much.
Original post by Mackay
Froch-Groves I and II was so much better than that last night. That was worse than Bellew-Cleverly.

I decided not to watch MayPac but it couldn't have been worse than Bellew-Cleverly. Cleverly gassed after about 6 rounds not that his work rate was that high and despite that Bellew didn't have the skill and/or power at 200lb to get rid of a guy who only just about had the energy to get hit in the face and was fighting with one arm the entire fight.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LTG
I can see why many people would pick Pacquiao to win, obviously the casual boxing fans with limited knowledge (this is not meant disrespectfully), but anyone that thinks with their head when predicting fights went with Mayweather.

He is superior in every aspect, pretty much.

I knew Mayweather would win on points, but I so wanted Pacquiao to win.

The fight was a little bit of a let down though. :cry:

Quick Reply

Latest