The Student Room Group

Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao 2/5

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Original post by TheStudent18
I knew Mayweather would win on points, but I so wanted Pacquiao to win.

The fight was a little bit of a let down though. :cry:

It wasn't a let down to me, because it was never going to be an exciting fight. It was more about the significance, rather than it being an all out war. Mayweather and Pacquiao do not fight that way, there are much better fights to be made just not as high profile and financially big.
Original post by ozzyoscy
If someone tells her about UFC, though, they might have a new fan solely thanks to this boxing match. She had picked up such an interest in this sport, and it kinda failed her.
I'm guessing from you subsequent posts I got pretty well trolled by you a while back. That said I would say the UFC sometimes similar. I think a lot of fans just want to see a fight, blood and glory. The UFC has become more technical over the years now, no way you can get away with not having a ground game like you could in years gone by. I seen plenty of complaints about people being bored by someone like Rousey, because she's so much better technically than her opponents have been. She's one of the UFC'S biggest draws with film appearances and sports illustrated shoots. If that girl's first introduction to the UFC had been a 14 second armbar she might be equally disappointed.

Original post by e aí rapaz
That would all be true - back in 2010. I know it's been said a million times already but it is true. I was never excited for this fight because it's come way too late. Pacquiao is not the same fighter now. Just a big pay-cheque for everyone involved.
I don't agree but I just feel Pacquiao isn't catch nearly enough for his role in that compared to Floyd. Fact is the fight happened in 2015 and Manny knew that, all the observers I saw said Manny is going to produce nothing, but Manny and his camp seemed to insist he was going to roll back the years. He's got his power and explosiveness back. I hope he was just delusional, because he pretty much had his whole nation invest in that.
Original post by LTG
It wasn't a let down to me, because it was never going to be an exciting fight. It was more about the significance, rather than it being an all out war. Mayweather and Pacquiao do not fight that way, there are much better fights to be made just not as high profile and financially big.

The fact that Mayweather would win on points meant that it would be relatively boring, but I expected to see a little bit more from Pacquiao. That being said though, he's now 36 so I suppose that comes into it too.
Reply 483
Original post by TheStudent18
The fact that Mayweather would win on points meant that it would be relatively boring, but I expected to see a little bit more from Pacquiao. That being said though, he's now 36 so I suppose that comes into it too.

I actually enjoy Mayweather fights but that's because I have always appreciated technique over brute force. Pacquiao was okay going in, albeit he was past prime, but it's more about how Mayweather is a master of his style. He nullifies everyone once he adapts.
Pacquio is not in his prime. Personally speaking, this fight should have happened in 2009/10. Additionally, respect to mayweather for what he has done, but Pacquio was injured and not the Pacquio of old, and i think for an attacker like Pac-man you need to be younger and more in your prime.

Not to take anything away from mayweather who would have made it harder for him even if he was in his prime by evading and running away with his great defense, but this fight should have happened when paquio was in his prime.
Original post by silent ninja
I fell asleep what happened

Tbh I didn't care much about this fight and I'm a guy who actually watched the likes of Tyson fight live on TV. The bitter truth is this should have happened 5 years ago - both fighters in their peak-- that would have been a MEGA FIGHT. Pacquiao is younger but those knockouts have taken their toll. He's not the same fighter. They're both in decline and cashed in yesterday. Hope you all got your money's worth. The money men were licking their lips and it paid off

I expect Mayweather will avoid a highly energetic Khan. That's a risky opposition at this stage in his career and he knows it. Khan outpointing Mayweather is totally possible

+1
Anyone know why Sergey Kovalev has so few followers on Twitter? I just checked his verified page for the first time now and I was surprised he only has 13.6k.
Original post by Fizzel
I'm guessing from you subsequent posts I got pretty well trolled by you a while back. That said I would say the UFC sometimes similar. I think a lot of fans just want to see a fight, blood and glory. The UFC has become more technical over the years now, no way you can get away with not having a ground game like you could in years gone by. I seen plenty of complaints about people being bored by someone like Rousey, because she's so much better technically than her opponents have been. She's one of the UFC'S biggest draws with film appearances and sports illustrated shoots. If that girl's first introduction to the UFC had been a 14 second armbar she might be equally disappointed.

I don't 'troll' people (internet fact: 99% of people called trolls aren't trolling, they just have a different view to the insulter), but thanks for the random insult, kind stranger.

The difference with UFC and boxing is that it has fewer but longer rounds. So not only is the fight time shorter and creates a faster pace, but the round isn't over before it barely gets started. People would rather see Rousey armbar someone in 10 seconds than Mayweather dodge or two big heavyweights hugging for close to an hour. If boxing were to ever get into a crisis, fewer rounds and a change to the judging system would be the way to go.
Reply 488
They're not trying to be a 'true fan', though I hate that label for the same reasons as 'casual' and 'hardcore'. 'Credible fan' is a ridiculous notion. The sport doesn't belong to people who like a certain aspect of something, or have been a fan for X number of years, and neither criteria makes them a better fan than someone else.

I'm not saying it belongs to one fan base though, I just wouldn't hold the opinions of someone who doesn't watch the sport regularly or a newcomer with the same regard as someone who has more of an in depth understanding of the sport.
Original post by Tawheed
Pacquio is not in his prime. Personally speaking, this fight should have happened in 2009/10. Additionally, respect to mayweather for what he has done, but Pacquio was injured and not the Pacquio of old, and i think for an attacker like Pac-man you need to be younger and more in your prime.

Not to take anything away from mayweather who would have made it harder for him even if he was in his prime by evading and running away with his great defense, but this fight should have happened when paquio was in his prime.

It wouldn't have made any difference. Mayweather is levels above Pacquiao. At no point last night did he even have to turn it on like he did when he got rocked by Mosley. He was sitting on the ropes, soaking up pressure and breaking Pacquiao mentally by letting him know none of it was effective. The reality is, many casuals didn't realise Floyd had a chin. Everyone else who follows the sport closely knows that Mayweather rarely gets hit but when he does he is resilient and can deal with it.

If this fight happened six years ago Floyd would have probably knocked him out as his hands were less fragile back then and he also would have had more speed. As Floyd has gone on he's become more prone to sticking to the tactics and less prone to getting into exchanges and its the smart thing to do. If this fight had happened then Pacquiao would have, with less experience himself of being knocked out and hurt, would have been knocked out in a similar fashion to Hatton.

The fight wasn't even close and Mayweather didn't even hit his highest gear. Pacquiao had no answer to his tactics and in the end was just throwing wildly trying to make something happen as he was left dumbfounded. I honestly don't know how people thought Pacquiao had a chance. People said he's too fast for Floyd but the reality is Floyd is faster but isn't as busy. Floyd has also dealt with faster fighters in Judah, granted that was years ago. Floyd has dealt with better brawlers in people like Maidana who, whether we like it or not, are much better on the inside than Pacquiao at roughing it up and trying to make it a brawl, as he proved against Floyd. Finally, Floyd has beaten smarter fighters like Mosley who just couldn't come up with an answer and years before that he's beat boxers more ring smart than Pacquiao. He's also made boxers like Marquez look incredibly average.

To me the fight was always going to go one way, whether it happened 6 years ago, 3 years ago, this year or next year. Floyd is just simply the better fighter and I am finally happy all the haters have been firmly put in their place because for the past 6 years, I and many other boxing fans who knew the score, have had to put up with nonsense such as 'Floyd is running', 'Floyd is scared', 'Floyd is on drugs' and tonnes more of rubbish. The only person who looked scared and broken last night was Pacquiao afterwards when he came across incredibly bitter and as a bad loser, which is kind of ironic given he was supposed to be the people's choice and Mayweather the bad guy. Mayweather come across incredibly mature and humble last night. He could have easily ripped into Pacquiao after all that has gone on and how it played out but he chose to show respect instead.
Original post by André 3000
It wouldn't have made any difference. Mayweather is levels above Pacquiao. At no point last night did he even have to turn it on like he did when he got rocked by Mosley. He was sitting on the ropes, soaking up pressure and breaking Pacquiao mentally by letting him know none of it was effective. The reality is, many casuals didn't realise Floyd had a chin. Everyone else who follows the sport closely knows that Mayweather rarely gets hit but when he does he is resilient and can deal with it.

If this fight happened six years ago Floyd would have probably knocked him out as his hands were less fragile back then and he also would have had more speed. As Floyd has gone on he's become more prone to sticking to the tactics and less prone to getting into exchanges and its the smart thing to do. If this fight had happened then Pacquiao would have, with less experience himself of being knocked out and hurt, would have been knocked out in a similar fashion to Hatton.

The fight wasn't even close and Mayweather didn't even hit his highest gear. Pacquiao had no answer to his tactics and in the end was just throwing wildly trying to make something happen as he was left dumbfounded. I honestly don't know how people thought Pacquiao had a chance. People said he's too fast for Floyd but the reality is Floyd is faster but isn't as busy. Floyd has also dealt with faster fighters in Judah, granted that was years ago. Floyd has dealt with better brawlers in people like Maidana who, whether we like it or not, are much better on the inside than Pacquiao at roughing it up and trying to make it a brawl, as he proved against Floyd. Finally, Floyd has beaten smarter fighters like Mosley who just couldn't come up with an answer and years before that he's beat boxers more ring smart than Pacquiao. He's also made boxers like Marquez look incredibly average.

To me the fight was always going to go one way, whether it happened 6 years ago, 3 years ago, this year or next year. Floyd is just simply the better fighter and I am finally happy all the haters have been firmly put in their place because for the past 6 years, I and many other boxing fans who knew the score, have had to put up with nonsense such as 'Floyd is running', 'Floyd is scared', 'Floyd is on drugs' and tonnes more of rubbish. The only person who looked scared and broken last night was Pacquiao afterwards when he came across incredibly bitter and as a bad loser, which is kind of ironic given he was supposed to be the people's choice and Mayweather the bad guy. Mayweather come across incredibly mature and humble last night. He could have easily ripped into Pacquiao after all that has gone on and how it played out but he chose to show respect instead.

I do respect him with regards to his ability, but even Sugar - who pacquio beat more convincingly in his prime, was able to land some major blows to mayweather and give him one big wake up call.

We can't run from the fact the this was not a prime pacquio, and that age catches up on a more attacking player than a more defensive one.

This fight had it happened in 2010 may have gone to mayweather as he is great at running, escaping, defending, but it would have been far closer on points and the chances of a paqui knock out would have been far, far higher.
Mayweather is an arogant fool imo

Manny should have won and he could have used the money to help provide relief to Nepal:sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tawheed
I do respect him with regards to his ability, but even Sugar - who pacquio beat more convincingly in his prime, was able to land some major blows to mayweather and give him one big wake up call.

And Mayweather dealt with it, upped his game and controlled the rest of the fight. Even Mosley himself admits this.

We can't run from the fact the this was not a prime pacquio, and that age catches up on a more attacking player than a more defensive one. This fight had it happened in 2010 may have gone to mayweather as he is great at running, escaping, defending, but it would have been far closer on points and the chances of a paqui knock out would have been far, far higher.

Sorry, but this is just pure delusion and wishful thinking. The reality is that Floyd would have still won the fight easily, possibly more convincingly due to having less fragile hands and being more mobile allowing him to work the ropes a lot more than he actually did. As I said before, Pacquiao would have probably ended up like Hatton back then as he wasn't as smart a fighter and would have been left exposed by a genius like Mayweather.
Original post by Fizzel

I don't agree but I just feel Pacquiao isn't catch nearly enough for his role in that compared to Floyd. Fact is the fight happened in 2015 and Manny knew that, all the observers I saw said Manny is going to produce nothing, but Manny and his camp seemed to insist he was going to roll back the years. He's got his power and explosiveness back. I hope he was just delusional, because he pretty much had his whole nation invest in that.

It's just boxer hype isn't it. They always say that. The number of boxers who a few years down the line admit that they only did certain fights for the money is crazy.

To be honest I'm just quite cynical about high-level pro boxing. It's all business and politics.
I don't 'troll' people (internet fact: 99% of people called trolls aren't trolling, they just have a different view to the insulter), but thanks for the random insult, kind stranger.

The difference with UFC and boxing is that it has fewer but longer rounds. So not only is the fight time shorter and creates a faster pace, but the round isn't over before it barely gets started. People would rather see Rousey armbar someone in 10 seconds than Mayweather dodge or two big heavyweights hugging for close to an hour. If boxing were to ever get into a crisis, fewer rounds and a change to the judging system would be the way to go.

87.9% statistics are also made up on the spot

So disappointed!!!! Next time I want JB in the ring with Manny!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MichuAtDeGeaBa
(internet fact: 99% of people called trolls aren't trolling, they just have a different view to the insulter)

87.9% statistics are also made up on the spot

If you believed that was a statistic, you need help.
If you believed that was a statistic, you need help.

I do need help with my work actually how good are you at science :smile:
Original post by MichuAtDeGeaBa
I do need help with my work actually how good are you at science :smile:

I'm pretty good.

Apparently Khan vs Mayweather may be on. At least there'll be more punches thrown in this fight should it happen.

Quick Reply