The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hazard's getting worse at penalties, but it doesn't matter, Chelsea will be champions by the end of the day.
Original post by Arkasia
Hazard's getting worse at penalties, but it doesn't matter, Chelsea will be champions by the end of the day.

That's his first ever PL penalty miss...
Poldi's only use is improving your GD or making a shocking CL performance look not so ****, he only scores if you're 2-0 up or 3-0 down.
Original post by SA-1
Agree completely.

Can't see united winning at palace and as long as we can avoid the CL qualifier I'll be happy tbh. Some signings actually depend on CL football and it'll be good to not have to wait till then.

Having said that, second isn't out the question either and and we're in the stronger position to finish there, especially if city draw today. Shouldn't we earn more money from that anyway? Would obviously much rather see us finish second and win the FA cup.

I think you get about a mil more so nothing huge tbh, it's mire about mentality, it'd be our first time in the top 2 in AGES, so would be good to push on for next season knowing we at least stand a chance
Original post by leinad2012
I think you get about a mil more so nothing huge tbh, it's mire about mentality, it'd be our first time in the top 2 in AGES, so would be good to push on for next season knowing we at least stand a chance

Exactly ten years ago, funny the number of similarities between that season and this

- Arsenal Chelsea top two
- United have an awful season but nobody is able to take advantage
- Liverpool finish 5th
- Two promoted sides immediately get relegated, whilst the 3rd only just stays up after being bottom all season
Original post by sr90
Exactly ten years ago, funny the number of similarities between that season and this

- Arsenal Chelsea top two
- United have an awful season but nobody is able to take advantage
- Liverpool finish 5th
- Two promoted sides immediately get relegated, whilst the 3rd only just stays up after being bottom all season

The only difference is, the two bottom sides look to be down before the final day
IceyFish
That's his first ever PL penalty miss

Did he not miss one a few weeks ago, where he scored the rebound?
Original post by Arkasia
Did he not miss one a few weeks ago, where he scored the rebound?

He's missed one in the CL this season, but that was in November or something. Only 2 misses of his professional career (I think).
Feel a summer clear out is needed.

Szs can go IMO so long as we bring in a WC replacement.

Keep flam but get rid of Arteta, Diaby can only stay on pay as you play basis, otherwise he can go.

Sanogo, Poldi, Campbell (even Welbeck) can all be sold. Only 1 or 2 players Max needed to replace them (winger and WC Striker).

Loan out Chambers, Bellerin, Gnabry and sign a new CB and CDM. That would leave us with 22 strong players with 2 choices in every position.

really agree with this.. but wenger seemed to rule it out.

Hope he is just saying that to not attract attention, and actually will think about bringing in a goal keeper
Feel a summer clear out is needed.

Keep flam but get rid of Arteta, Diaby can only stay on pay as you play basis, otherwise he can go.

Sanogo, Poldi, Campbell (even Welbeck) can all be sold. Only 1 or 2 players Max needed to replace them (winger and WC Striker).

Loan out Chambers, Bellerin, Gnabry and sign a new CB and CDM. That would leave us with 22 strong players with 2 choices in every position.

Makes no sense to loan out our 4th CB tbh. He'll gain plenty of experience from just hanging about the squad really and given the age of our senior CBs, it's all pretty good atm. Only hope in terms of CBs next season is that Gabriel Paulista takes over from Mertesacker as first choice CB(PM is OK as a rotation option against the dross)

I'd personally like to see Walcott sold before contract negotiations force our hand again tbh. City/LFC will surely offer something stupid like £30m if we play it right. Bring in another winger with the dosh.
Why anyone would want to keep flamini is beyond me, honestly one of the worst players we've had at our club in a while, i hope he never plays for us again.
Original post by Zürich
Makes no sense to loan out our 4th CB tbh. He'll gain plenty of experience from just hanging about the squad really and given the age of our senior CBs, it's all pretty good atm. Only hope in terms of CBs next season is that Gabriel Paulista takes over from Mertesacker as first choice CB(PM is OK as a rotation option against the dross)

I'd personally like to see Walcott sold before contract negotiations force our hand again tbh. City/LFC will surely offer something stupid like £30m if we play it right. Bring in another winger with the dosh.

Disagree on all tgree counts, take Jenko for the last 3 years, he had Sagna as a mentor in that position who is about as good as you get. Only this season when given a chance on loan has he shown what's he's capable of.

People slate Mert but the combo he and Kosc has is perfect, as Mert wins aerial challenges and Kosc mops up the pieces. Paulista Kosc is just 2 cb who are very similar, which only really works if they both are aerially good enough and have good positioning (I.e. Cahill and terry). Kosc and Mert just works when both are on form tbh, you can say I'm wrong but iirc they've been the partnership this year vs city united Chelsea and Liverpool. We've conceded 2 in 4 from those games which is pretty damn good imo.

Don't want Walcott sold, I'm confident he'll be solid next season and will take rw off of welbs so long as Jenk or Debuchy is at rb over bellerin. We need to keep our English players to comply with new regs.
Original post by fallen_acorns
really agree with this.. but wenger seemed to rule it out.

Hope he is just saying that to not attract attention, and actually will think about bringing in a goal keeper

I can't see him selling szs, if he wanted him out he would t be playing him in the fa cup, it'll be interesting to see if he playsin the final. I feel sorry for him, he was decent last season, he just hadent had it this year (possibly due to lack of competition). There's plenty if choices if we're in for one, casillas, Cech, forster, begovic, lloris are all keepers who would be a great improvement on our current offerings and at least 2 of them are achievable.
I can't see him selling szs, if he wanted him out he would t be playing him in the fa cup, it'll be interesting to see if he playsin the final. I feel sorry for him, he was decent last season, he just hadent had it this year (possibly due to lack of competition). There's plenty if choices if we're in for one, casillas, Cech, forster, begovic, lloris are all keepers who would be a great improvement on our current offerings and at least 2 of them are achievable.

I expect him to play in the final, as fabianski did last season..

To be honest, if he does not play in the final, that should be the last nail in the coffin and he should leave..
Can we loan out Gibbs for experience too then? Guy spent his early days observing Ashley Cole at close range and still hasnt worked out fundamental positioning yet

Wenger brining in Andre Santos probably fried his brain on that subject though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Mert + Kos, have shown in the 2nd half of the season, just why they are so good..

But my issue is that in the first half of the season Mert showed just how bad he is, when working with anyone else..

And that inflexibility could be a real problem, as it has been this season, given our injury records.

- we need a back-up CB option that actually works, as we are always 1 injury from kos away from a defensive shambles like we had from last season.

I hope that gabriel can come in and do the Kos job, if that happens..
kick off for city.

Always wierd to cheer on spurs.

But I do actually like kane.. so will just root for him.
Original post by Zürich
Can we loan out Gibbs for experience too then? Guy spent his early days observing Ashley Cole at close range and still hasnt worked out fundamental positioning yet

Wenger brining in Andre Santos probably fried his brain on that subject though.

You do realise you just backed up my point? Having a young player training with great players isn't enough to make them great, you need to give them exoerience.

Slating Gibbs despite the fact he was excellent last season and hasn't been that dreadful this season either, you're one of the most fickle fans on this forum tbf
Original post by fallen_acorns
Mert + Kos, have shown in the 2nd half of the season, just why they are so good..

But my issue is that in the first half of the season Mert showed just how bad he is, when working with anyone else..

And that inflexibility could be a real problem, as it has been this season, given our injury records.

- we need a back-up CB option that actually works, as we are always 1 injury from kos away from a defensive shambles like we had from last season.

I hope that gabriel can come in and do the Kos job, if that happens..

Which is why I've said again and again on here we need a 4th cb, because when Kosc gets injured you lose Mert as well effectively. A player like Smalling would be perfect, big strong dominating player to pair with a quick tough positionally aware player like Gabriel

Latest