The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hellomoto.
They are the same I think for this context. Always ask questions whether you think there silly or not :biggrin:

I thought so too, but two different values are obtained for each variable in one of the questions on that paper and I am so confused as to how...! I must be missing something!

Thanks for the heads up though! :biggrin: I tend to ask lots of silly questions in physics haha
Reply 601
Original post by Lau14
It's probably not worth the stress of redoing EMPAs unless you do awfully enough to actually affect the final grade really, especially since they usually do them at the same time as A2 ones (at least, our college does. My friend has done the practicals for A2 biology, AS physics and A2 physics all last week and has all her written papers this week!).

Thats a fair point - I wanna get more than the C I got last year though haha! I know someone resitting an A in last year's EMPA... makes me feel bad :wink:

Yeah the people who are resitting the AS empas won't have a fun day on Tuesday!
Reply 602
Original post by aprocrastinator
Looking at the June 2013 EMPA paper (6X) and I may be being thick, but how does the time between energy transfer of oscillations relate to the time period?

Sorry, what do you mean? The time between transfer from kinetic energy to gravitational? Because the 'energies' will differ based on the oscillator - whether you mean a simple pendulum in air or a mass spring system. :smile:
Reply 603
Original post by Protoxylic
Ahhh thanks :smile:

Lots of past papers for Physics. You can be confident in the content, but if you can't nail exam technique then it's useless.

Good point. I think I'll dedicate tomorrow to just doing physics papers. May do my first astro paper too - and on star wars day! How fitting :wink:
Original post by CD223
Good point. I think I'll dedicate tomorrow to just doing physics papers. May do my first astro paper too - and on star wars day! How fitting :wink:

Hah, at least you have a more interesting option topic paper. I'm stuck with turning points, possible THE dullest paper (aside from special relativity and stokes' law). I would have much rather have done applied physics hah.
Reply 605
Hah, at least you have a more interesting option topic paper. I'm stuck with turning points, possible THE dullest paper (aside from special relativity and stokes' law). I would have much rather have done applied physics hah.

A lot of the people who did applied in my college said it has built upon thermal physics really nicely. Besides being more interesting personally, I'd have preferred to do an option that linked with the core PHYA5 content more aha.
Original post by CD223
A lot of the people who did applied in my college said it has built upon thermal physics really nicely. Besides being more interesting personally, I'd have preferred to do an option that linked with the core PHYA5 content more aha.

Aye it does help with Phys4 and 5, but the history stuff is so boring. I can read a book to learn this stuff, I don't want to sit an exam in it lol.
Does anyone have any AS EMPA Physics info?? PM me
Reply 608
Original post by CD223
Thats a fair point - I wanna get more than the C I got last year though haha! I know someone resitting an A in last year's EMPA... makes me feel bad :wink:

Yeah the people who are resitting the AS empas won't have a fun day on Tuesday!

Why would you resit an A in any unit at AS wow? It can't make any difference because you only need an A overall for an A*!

There is one bright side to all doing the written task in the hall at once. You don't get that annoying "so what's on the EMPA" stuff in real life as well as on here :P Last year we did it whenever your lesson was so no one did them at the same time
Reply 609
Aye it does help with Phys4 and 5, but the history stuff is so boring. I can read a book to learn this stuff, I don't want to sit an exam in it lol.

Ah no haha! I do A level History so maybe I would find it interesting, who knows :wink:

Do you know any good YouTube channels for Physics?
Reply 610
Original post by dripper
Does anyone have any AS EMPA Physics info?? PM me

Please do not abuse the thread - this is for the PHYA5 exam and not the EMPA/ISA.
Original post by CD223
Ah no haha! I do A level History so maybe I would find it interesting, who knows :wink:

Do you know any good YouTube channels for Physics?

DrPhysicsA is pretty good.
Reply 612
Original post by Lau14
Why would you resit an A in any unit at AS wow? It can't make any difference because you only need an A overall for an A*!

There is one bright side to all doing the written task in the hall at once. You don't get that annoying "so what's on the EMPA" stuff in real life as well as on here :P Last year we did it whenever your lesson was so no one did them at the same time

Well, I can't answer that :wink: I'm unsure of how to prepare for Tuesday from here really. Its such an odd exam that none of my preparation might even be useful! :rolleyes:
Reply 613
DrPhysicsA is pretty good.

Ooh, thanks I'll check that out :smile: Bored of looking in books haha!
Thanks for the lovely resources on the first page! :smile:
The jun14 papers are officially out on the aqa web page, go and check them out! [Still not happy about my performance in unit1 last year :frown:]
Questions regarding the old syllabus: Are they syllabuses the same or similar with minor differences? And where can I find the grade boundaries for those?
got A2 chem info, wanna know about a2 physics(empa)
Reply 617
Original post by DCMed96
Thanks for the lovely resources on the first page! :smile:
The jun14 papers are officially out on the aqa web page, go and check them out! [Still not happy about my performance in unit1 last year :frown:]

No worries! Hope they're useful!

How's your revision going?

Ah no, how did you do?

I've got the June 14 papers at the bottom of the first post of each thread by the way :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 618
Original post by CD223
Well, I can't answer that :wink: I'm unsure of how to prepare for Tuesday from here really. Its such an odd exam that none of my preparation might even be useful! :rolleyes:

Yeah I'm pretty much just going to read through my notes a bit and look at some past papers, fingers crossed it'll work out alright!
Reply 619
Original post by simonli2575
Questions regarding the old syllabus: Are they syllabuses the same or similar with minor differences? And where can I find the grade boundaries for those?

They're slightly different I believe. Not drastically - they're useful revision, but not in the same style as the current papers.

I'm unsure of how to access past boundaries. Possibly the AQA website? If not, then they should be available if you search "June/January 20XX AQA Grade Boundaries". A PDF document with all subjects should appear.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending