The Student Room Group

will you watch football in 5 years time ?

Do you think, one day you will get bored of football, and do something else with your life ?

Scroll to see replies

Its starting to happen to me now. Sky sports just irritates me, the hype they create surrounding each football match is very tiring.

Dont even get me started on the skysports phone app...
hmm, I expect so, but certianly less then now.

If all goes to plan, me and my wife will be having kids in 2-3 years time, so I expect a dip in my football interest, to happen around that time, for a number of reasons:

- I already watch much less then when I was a student, just due to not having as much free time.

- time with my family/wife always comes before football, and as I get older, this increases.. so frequently I find myself not being able to watch weekend games. Infact I would say my most-watched games this season, have been evening-midweek games, as I am much more likely to be free.

- Kids/babies will take even more time.

- I will be in china for a few years, where it is difficult to watch english football, due to the time difference. 3pm kick off, becomes a 11pm kick off. etc.

- one of my favourite parts about football is the community/chatting about it. Currently I get that fix of TSR, but as I get older, and come on here less.. especially given TSR sucks in china, I imagine my interest will fade.

SO yeah, I expect my interest in football to fall over the next few years.

BUT

Then I expect it to rise hugely after that:

Because my children will reach an age where they are able to become interested in football. Meaning I will have a new potential social circle to watch football in, a new reason to go to live games, kids to play football with on weekends etc. and from this, I do expect my intrest in football to grow again.

--- so thats about what I am expecting
Reply 3
I only watch my team anyway, which is like 2 hours out of a day, really nothing in comparison to other stuff
Me interest in the elite football, like CL etc. Is dwindling whereas my interest in lower league & non-league is growing.
I'll always watch England and the Villa but find myself watching less games as a neutral these days.
I think I'll watch it literally til the day I die-it's in my blood.
Reply 7
I very rarely watch England play unless its a World Cup or European Championships, but I always watch Liverpool matches and try my best to get to half a dozen games a season.

Like Tornado, my taste in football is expanding. I really enjoy watching the lower leagues.
I'm pretty sure I'll always watch Liverpool play, well at least for the next five years. Probably when I have kids I won't be able to watch much but that's like in 10 years time.
Original post by fallen_acorns
hmm, I expect so, but certianly less then now.

If all goes to plan, me and my wife will be having kids in 2-3 years time, so I expect a dip in my football interest, to happen around that time, for a number of reasons:

- I already watch much less then when I was a student, just due to not having as much free time.

- time with my family/wife always comes before football, and as I get older, this increases.. so frequently I find myself not being able to watch weekend games. Infact I would say my most-watched games this season, have been evening-midweek games, as I am much more likely to be free.

- Kids/babies will take even more time.

- I will be in china for a few years, where it is difficult to watch english football, due to the time difference. 3pm kick off, becomes a 11pm kick off. etc.

- one of my favourite parts about football is the community/chatting about it. Currently I get that fix of TSR, but as I get older, and come on here less.. especially given TSR sucks in china, I imagine my interest will fade.

SO yeah, I expect my interest in football to fall over the next few years.

BUT

Then I expect it to rise hugely after that:

Because my children will reach an age where they are able to become interested in football. Meaning I will have a new potential social circle to watch football in, a new reason to go to live games, kids to play football with on weekends etc. and from this, I do expect my intrest in football to grow again.

--- so thats about what I am expecting

Similar to this tbh. Been watching football regularly for the last decade (since streaming became a lot more accessible) but other priorities are going to take over and it will be one of the hobbies I'll have to give up to a degree.
Don't think I'll ever stop watching Arsenal play, or England for that matter, or not follow the World Cup so yes, I will watch football in 5 years time and hopefully forever. (:
Stopped watching it when I was 12 or 13, got tired of wasting 90 minutes for 0-0 in meaningless games....I only watch international tournaments (if I remember they're happening) & the World Cup

Basketball is a way better sport imo
nah, till death!

COYG!
Original post by democracyforum
Do you think, one day you will get bored of football, and do something else with your life ?

In 5 years I'll continue to watch football, Arsenal, PSG, Bayern :adore:
No although money has ruined it like having to pay for BT Sport on top of sky etc
But if you are a true supporter particularly of lower league clubs you'll stay and watch through thick or thin if you're a glory supporter you'll give up as there is just no real love there for the club
Can see myself losing a bit of interest when Wenger leaves tbh. Very emotionally invested in his success as Ive been following his Arsenal side my entire life. Cant see myself getting as worked up when we have a new manager every 2 years like normal clubs with all the long term memories from childhood fading into the distance

Football generally is not as good as it used to be though. Oil clubs have done a huge amount of damage and the gap between the elite clubs and the rest just makes it less exciting imo
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Football generally is not as good as it used to be though. Oil clubs have done a huge amount of damage and the gap between the elite clubs and the rest just makes it less exciting imo

I honestly wish I was born ten years earlier, it may be nostalgia talking but football seemed so much better in the 90s. The game has been polluted by money, you know what the top 6/7 will be every year before a ball has even been kicked and it's now a business. Everything is sponsored and branded, it's far too commercialized. ''Etihad Stadium, Emirates Stadium, Britannia Stadium'' it's just pathetic. The Premier League is now a global brand, not a sports league.

I'll always watch United but outside of that I find the lower leagues far more interesting. To be honest out of all the games being played today the one that i'm most interested in is Colchester vs Preston.
Original post by sr90
I honestly wish I was born ten years earlier, it may be nostalgia talking but football seemed so much better in the 90s. The game has been polluted by money, you know what the top 6/7 will be every year before a ball has even been kicked and it's now a business. Everything is sponsored and branded, it's far too commercialized. ''Etihad Stadium, Emirates Stadium, Britannia Stadium'' it's just pathetic. The Premier League is now a global brand, not a sports league.

I'll always watch United but outside of that I find the lower leagues far more interesting. To be honest out of all the games being played today the one that i'm most interested in is Colchester vs Preston.

Ipswich getting promoted and finishing 5th in the Prem. Someone other than an oil club challenging for the title (Villa and Newcastle). The FA Cup hadn't been ruined yet. Only champions automatically qualified for the CHAMPIONS League.

Any more?
Original post by Wilfred Little
Ipswich getting promoted and finishing 5th in the Prem. Someone other than an oil club challenging for the title (Villa and Newcastle). The FA Cup hadn't been ruined yet. Only champions automatically qualified for the CHAMPIONS League.

Any more?

That one doesn't bother me because the 4th placed team in La Liga, Bundesliga, Premier League, Serie A etc is still infinitely better than the champions of Norway, Scotland, Finland or whatever tinpot league is down the bottom of the rankings. I'd rather have a competitive CL than one with about 4 teams in.
Original post by sr90
That one doesn't bother me because the 4th placed team in La Liga, Bundesliga, Premier League, Serie A etc is still infinitely better than the champions of Norway, Scotland, Finland or whatever tinpot league is down the bottom of the rankings. I'd rather have a competitive CL than one with about 4 teams in.

You could still qualify having not won your league but you had to go via the qualifying rounds and not straight into the group stage.

It makes no sense having a Champions League where the teams who automatically qualify are not champions.

It's also allowed clubs to get bigger and bigger without actually winning anything.

Champion vs champion in knock out format, the top 3/4 in the other leagues play in the Europa (knock out format).

Lovely jubbly.

Quick Reply

Latest