The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Original post by sanil17
got A2 chem info, wanna know about a2 physics(empa)

I'm getting tired of asking people not to cheat.

All I'm saying is, if you want this thread to remain open as a resource to ask everyone questions regarding the exam, then don't continue to break the guidelines for the exam. It has serious consequences and isn't worth it.

Thanks for understanding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 621
Original post by Lau14
Yeah I'm pretty much just going to read through my notes a bit and look at some past papers, fingers crossed it'll work out alright!

That sounds sensible! My college made a paper booklet of past papers which I may do, but don't feel they benefit me as much as the actually unit 4/5 theory papers :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
No worries! Hope they're useful!

How's your revision going?

Ah no, how did you do?

I've got the June 14 papers at the bottom of the first post of each thread by the way :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Revision not going well.. I particularly don't understand about potentials
Reply 623
Original post by DCMed96
Revision not going well.. I particularly don't understand about potentials

Oh no :frown: can I help at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any physics empa A2 or AS info pm me!

Not asking for specifici info just your predictions what might come up :wink:
helloooo, i noticed on the aqa website only the old option past papers are available and my school has some extra old ones saved which have more unit 5 content, i can post them later on this week once i've got them from the school resource drive :smile:
Reply 626
Original post by J.White97
Any physics empa A2 or AS info pm me!

Not asking for specifici info just your predictions what might come up :wink:

Again, if you hadn't judged by the previous tone of my messages, that's not what this thread is for.

If you don't have something PHYA4 or PHYA5 related to add, please don't use this as a platform to cheat, however subtle you think you can get away with being.

If you require tips as to how to prepare for the EMPA, see Lau14's great guide on the first post.

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 627
Original post by emu_neutrino
helloooo, i noticed on the aqa website only the old option past papers are available and my school has some extra old ones saved which have more unit 5 content, i can post them later on this week once i've got them from the school resource drive :smile:

Oh yes please that would be fantastic! If you wouldn't mind quoting or PMing me, I can add them to the first post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 628
Original post by CD223
That sounds sensible! My college made a paper booklet of past papers which I may do, but don't feel they benefit me as much as the actually unit 4/5 theory papers :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't have the motivation to actually do them, there's so much you can't even answer without doing the practicals anyway :/
Reply 629
Original post by Lau14
I don't have the motivation to actually do them, there's so much you can't even answer without doing the practicals anyway :/

That's very true.

We have an EMPA prep lesson right before the exam. I think it will only stress me out lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
the past EMPA papers can actually be really useful, even if you dont actually do the questions. I read through them all and made a list of things they always ask you, that way you know what you have to learn how to do or what style of question you will get. I also made a list of all the questions that don't actually require you to do the practical tasks, its good to get bit of practice in, I'll put the list here just in case (i hope this is okay since im not actually discussing the current EMPA?). anyway here's the list for unit 6:
June 2010: Q1b, Q4
June 2011: Qb(i), Q2b, Q3, Q4
June 2012: Q2, Q3, Q4
June 2013: Q2, Q3
June 2014: Q2, Q3
Reply 631
the past EMPA papers can actually be really useful, even if you dont actually do the questions. I read through them all and made a list of things they always ask you, that way you know what you have to learn how to do or what style of question you will get. I also made a list of all the questions that don't actually require you to do the practical tasks, its good to get bit of practice in, I'll put the list here just in case (i hope this is okay since im not actually discussing the current EMPA?). anyway here's the list for unit 6:
June 2010: Q1b, Q4
June 2011: Qb(i), Q2b, Q3, Q4
June 2012: Q2, Q3, Q4
June 2013: Q2, Q3
June 2014: Q2, Q3

Thank you so much for the contribution :smile:

PS: discussing general tips for the EMPA is absolutely fine! What isn't fine is discussing specifics, which is clearly what some people are, however subtly, trying to do aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Thank you so much for the contribution :smile:

PS: discussing general tips for the EMPA is absolutely fine! What isn't fine is discussing specifics, which is clearly what some people are, however subtly, trying to do aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

no problem! yes i did notice earlier in the thread, I guess you can't stop everyone no matter how much you tell them its not allowed
I wish my school did EMPA, I heard it's better than ISA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 634
no problem! yes i did notice earlier in the thread, I guess you can't stop everyone no matter how much you tell them its not allowed

Yeah I'm gonna stop telling people now, and just hope that the thread stays open!

Gonna attempt those questions tomorrow. Really nervous for it now :/ just wanna improve on my C from last year :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 635
Original post by simonli2575
I wish my school did EMPA, I heard it's better than ISA.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's hard to judge. I think the only reason some people see it as "better" is not the difficulty of the tasks involved, but because so many colleges bend the rules, increasing the boundaries for the ISA aha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Sorry, what do you mean? The time between transfer from kinetic energy to gravitational? Because the 'energies' will differ based on the oscillator - whether you mean a simple pendulum in air or a mass spring system. :smile:

The context was two masses on a horizontal ruler and one was made to oscillate and they were asking for the time taken for the energy of one mass to transfer to the other mass and back :confused: not even sure if that's what it was, I don't get it at all...
Reply 637
Original post by aprocrastinator
The context was two masses on a horizontal ruler and one was made to oscillate and they were asking for the time taken for the energy of one mass to transfer to the other mass and back :confused: not even sure if that's what it was, I don't get it at all...

Hmm. Is it possible for you to post the question on here?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Hmm. Is it possible for you to post the question on here?

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHA6-B6-X-QP-JUN13.PDF

All of question 2.
Reply 639

I believe the time for energy transfer is the time between maximums using figure 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending