Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josb
Yes, it's possible, but it's not a safe bet. :frown:

http://www.northernbridge.ac.uk/studentships/eligibility/

Hmmm :frown: better than nothing I suppose. I contacted my supervisor at Durham and asked his advice about funding - he said he had self funded his own PhD and that it was the sad reality that in the arts most people would go part time and work to put themselves through one. It was a depressing conversation but one that put things into perspective for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 121
Original post by Josb
I don't think we'll get it. Each department nominates its candidates:

If you haven't heard anything about the DDS from your department, it probably means you haven't been nominated. I was shortlisted for the AHRC and they told it to me, but nothing about the DDS. :frown:

I Think you're right. I Can't do it without funding so it's a bit sad but what can you do?
Original post by oliviamalona
Originally I had offers from Kent, Exeter, Sheffield, East Anglia, York, Leeds, and of course Durham. It was a slow and excruciating decision. Initially Kent had been my top choice for its location, but I ended up ruling it out because the program really wasn't as good as at many of the other unis.

Eventually I chose Durham because it's ranked so highly in my field (Medieval and Early Modern History), the campus is so gorgeous, and it's not in a big city like Sheffield, Leeds, or York, I really wanted more open space, and a more active student community which Durham definitely has!

So for me it's official, I've already turned down my other offers.

Wow, nice. I guess everything depends on which environment suits our individual preferences the most. You certainly can't go wrong with Durham :wink:. On my end, I think it might still come down to Durham/Edinburgh, If I'm made an offer from Edinburgh. Recently stumbled on some information regarding the Sustainable Energy Systems course at Edinburgh that kind of makes it peculiar.
Hello everyone! I'm starting a PhD in English Literature in October :smile: I also haven't heard from the DDS, so I guess it's bad news (though I will keep an eye out just in case they are delayed). I wasn't nominated for AHRC funding either, so my funding prospects look quite bad. I had a look at the external guide for postgraduate funding and it seems pointless really - they are very picky in their criteria and I don't think I qualify for any of their grants. Do any of you know of any other sources of funding?

Original post by ameliasue
I contacted my supervisor at Durham and asked his advice about funding - he said he had self funded his own PhD and that it was the sad reality that in the arts most people would go part time and work to put themselves through one. It was a depressing conversation but one that put things into perspective for me.

I thought of contacting my supervisors about this but I really don't want the first contact I have with them to be about funding. Have you all contacted your supervisors already? Do we need to do it before arriving in October?
Original post by Valkyrja_
Hello everyone! I'm starting a PhD in English Literature in October :smile: I also haven't heard from the DDS, so I guess it's bad news (though I will keep an eye out just in case they are delayed). I wasn't nominated for AHRC funding either, so my funding prospects look quite bad. I had a look at the external guide for postgraduate funding and it seems pointless really - they are very picky in their criteria and I don't think I qualify for any of their grants. Do any of you know of any other sources of funding?

I thought of contacting my supervisors about this but I really don't want the first contact I have with them to be about funding. Have you all contacted your supervisors already? Do we need to do it before arriving in October?

Hey! What's your research about? I'm pretty certain DDS nominees would have been told at least that they were up for consideration by now - I rang the department the other day and asked them to clarify if all funding decisions had been made and whether there was anything I could possibly be waiting on, and the graduate secretary said no, everything had been finalised now. Sorry if that's bad news for anyone :frown:

I decided I might as well contact my supervisor about funding- it's essential to doing the PhD after all. Unfortunately the links he sent me were fairly generic and the deadlines have almost all come and gone. I think appeals to charities aligned loosely with your research are the best bet. With regards to contacting supervisors, I think it's a good idea to introduce yourself :smile: I just said thank you for accepting my application and that I was looking forward to working with them, but I think I'll email again and ask if there are any areas in my proposal he thinks need tightening up before starting in October.
Hey! What's your research about? I'm pretty certain DDS nominees would have been told at least that they were up for consideration by now - I rang the department the other day and asked them to clarify if all funding decisions had been made and whether there was anything I could possibly be waiting on, and the graduate secretary said no, everything had been finalised now. Sorry if that's bad news for anyone :frown:

I decided I might as well contact my supervisor about funding- it's essential to doing the PhD after all. Unfortunately the links he sent me were fairly generic and the deadlines have almost all come and gone. I think appeals to charities aligned loosely with your research are the best bet. With regards to contacting supervisors, I think it's a good idea to introduce yourself :smile: I just said thank you for accepting my application and that I was looking forward to working with them, but I think I'll email again and ask if there are any areas in my proposal he thinks need tightening up before starting in October.

Hi! I'm doing Romanticism and First World War poetry. How about you?
I've also heard from colleges on Monday; I was accepted by St Chad's, which was my first choice, so I am pretty excited about that! Which college are you in?

Yeah, most of the grants advertised in the postgrad funding guide were from charities and organisations of that sort - and I don't know of any that is aligned with my research area! I phoned a couple of charities which I thought could be willing to fund me but their numbers had been disconnected :s-smilie: I guess I'll keep looking around to see if I can find something, though I not confident I'll be successful.
Reply 126
Original post by Mimbo
I Think you're right. I Can't do it without funding so it's a bit sad but what can you do?

Got the 'unsuccessful' email :frown: - was identified by the department as 'worthy of consideration at faculty level'. Cold comfort. Oh well. Do they redistribute if anyone turns them down does anyone know?
Reply 127
Original post by Mimbo
Got the 'unsuccessful' email :frown: - was identified by the department as 'worthy of consideration at faculty level'. Cold comfort. Oh well. Do they redistribute if anyone turns them down does anyone know?

Their loss. :console:
The faculty of Arts sent you an email? Strange, they said they wouldn't contact unsuccessful applicants. :confused:
Reply 128
Original post by Josb
Their loss. :console:
The faculty of Arts sent you an email? Strange, they said they wouldn't contact unsuccessful applicants. :confused:

that is weird. Maybe it was because I was shortlisted or something. Who knows? It's all the same outcome in the end. Still waiting for a couple of other possibilities - hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.
I've also heard from colleges on Monday; I was accepted by St Chad's, which was my first choice, so I am pretty excited about that! Which college are you in?

Yeah, most of the grants advertised in the postgrad funding guide were from charities and organisations of that sort - and I don't know of any that is aligned with my research area! I phoned a couple of charities which I thought could be willing to fund me but their numbers had been disconnected :s-smilie: I guess I'll keep looking around to see if I can find something, though I not confident I'll be successful.

I'm doing Victorian aesthetic philosophy, so slap bang in the middle of your areas by the sound of it :smile: Oh well done for getting Chad's! I also put Chad's as my first, and Hatfield as my second, and got the offer from Hatfield yesterday so i'm pretty happy with that. Lack of funding means that college accommodation is kind of off the table now though. Can't justify paying out 5 grand when it would probably only cost 2 or 3 elsewhere. Have you got enough to self-fund then, or will you be turning the place down if you can't find anything?
Reply 130
I'm doing Victorian aesthetic philosophy, so slap bang in the middle of your areas by the sound of it :smile: Oh well done for getting Chad's! I also put Chad's as my first, and Hatfield as my second, and got the offer from Hatfield yesterday so i'm pretty happy with that. Lack of funding means that college accommodation is kind of off the table now though. Can't justify paying out 5 grand when it would probably only cost 2 or 3 elsewhere. Have you got enough to self-fund then, or will you be turning the place down if you can't find anything?

Haha, I also chose St-Chad's, because of the accommodation in the manor. No news from them though.
Reply 131
Original post by Mimbo
that is weird. Maybe it was because I was shortlisted or something. Who knows? It's all the same outcome in the end. Still waiting for a couple of other possibilities - hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

** UPDATE 30 April 2015. Funding for the Durham Doctoral Studentship awards has now been allocated and offer-holders have been contacted. Given the number of applications received, we regret that it will not be possible for departments or Faculty to give individual feedback to unsuccessful applicants.

Yep, it's dead. I won't go to Durham.:frown:

You were probably shortlisted, hence why they contacted you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 132
Hmmm :frown: better than nothing I suppose. I contacted my supervisor at Durham and asked his advice about funding - he said he had self funded his own PhD and that it was the sad reality that in the arts most people would go part time and work to put themselves through one. It was a depressing conversation but one that put things into perspective for me.

I wouldn't advise you to go unfunded. Firstly, he probably did not pay any fee, whilst you would have to pay £12,000 for your PhD. Secondly, housing was cheaper before. Thirdly, job prospects with a PhD in the arts were better so it was worth it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Josb
That's pretty much insensible from him to advise you to go unfunded. Firstly, he probably did not pay any fee, whilst you would have to pay £12,000 for your PhD. Secondly, housing was cheaper before. Thirdly, job prospects with a PhD in the arts were better so it was worth it.

I totally agree that's it's near impossible and really pretty unreasonable to be expected to do a PhD without any funding. But what can you do? Delay starting for another year in the hope that you might be funded next time? Personally I think paying fees at PhD level is a joke, all your other expenses could be covered by a part time job but £4k a year is almost impossible to accumulate unless you work full time and save up before you go. But yeah in the end I guess you're either willing to spend your own money/take out a loan or you're not.
Reply 134
I totally agree that's it's near impossible and really pretty unreasonable to be expected to do a PhD without any funding. But what can you do? Delay starting for another year in the hope that you might be funded next time? Personally I think paying fees at PhD level is a joke, all your other expenses could be covered by a part time job but £4k a year is almost impossible to accumulate unless you work full time and save up before you go. But yeah in the end I guess you're either willing to spend your own money/take out a loan or you're not.

I think it should be illegal to do a PhD unfunded, as it is the rule in US graduate schools.
Reply 135
I received an offer from St Aidan's. I guess Cuth and Chad's were full.

Thanks! I guess we are quite close then, with you being in Hatfield. I'm not staying in college accommodation; I'm going to live out of college, at least for this year. If I manage to get funding next year / get a room in the college / don't like where I'll live during my first year, then I'll probably move in. But I'll think about that later.
I will self-fund if I can't find any charity willing to fund me. I don't want to turn my place down nor do I want to defer for another year (this is sort of my 'gap year' between my MA and PhD). I am working at the moment, but it's impossible to save anything, so I'm also looking for part-time jobs in Durham for next year. How about you? Have you sorted your funding?
Reply 137
Hello everyone :smile:

I going to start MSc Marketing in October, I applied for the colleges and I saw that some of you got your replies, so I'm wondering how long they take to consider the applications? thank you
Theres no facebook group
Original post by abhishekguptaias
Any one coming for MBA in 2015 at Durham University kindly join our facebook group (Durham University MBA 2015 Intake)

Hey there... Can't find the group anywhere.

Anyhow I'm holding an offer for MBA as well. Nice to meet you.

Anyone else?

Latest