The Student Room Group

Universities for AMERICAN investment banks?

Hi,

I posted this in another forum but I thought it may be better received here :smile: I know questions like this are rampant on TSR but I would like to put particular emphasis on the fact I am interested in USA (NY) based investment banks! Thank you.

- I want to go into investment banking when I graduate from university, the awe of finance is incredible to me
- I am predicted good grades for year 13 so I can apply to any university with the HOPE of getting in
- However I don't know which universities to apply to? I was thinking UCL (Economics with a year abroad), Exeter (Economics with a year abroad), Durham (Economics with a year abroad), and maybe Edinburgh and St. Andrews for economics with the hope of getting a good destination should I manage to take a year abroad (Scotland-based applicant so no fees)?

I should make it known that I do not want to go to Oxbridge. I understand it is a very good institution but I just cannot say that I feel it is for me right now; maybe postgrad if I wanted to try. I am considering LSE but the fact that I would never get to do a year abroad is something that particularly turns me off. I want to do a year abroad in the USA so as to gain contacts there and for the international experience. New York in particular. Warwick also looks like an unpleasant place to study for 3 years for me personally but if you believe you can persuade me otherwise then please try!

Ultimately: which universities should I apply to in order to hopefully gain a graduate job with one of the big American (based) investment banks such as JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Citigroup, Jefferies, Lazard, Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch, Wells Fargo? I aspire to get a job at one of them and then hopefully secure a transfer to the NY/USA branch.

Thank you!
Original post by Draco Dormiens
Hi,

I posted this in another forum but I thought it may be better received here :smile: I know questions like this are rampant on TSR but I would like to put particular emphasis on the fact I am interested in USA (NY) based investment banks! Thank you.

- I want to go into investment banking when I graduate from university, the awe of finance is incredible to me
- I am predicted good grades for year 13 so I can apply to any university with the HOPE of getting in
- However I don't know which universities to apply to? I was thinking UCL (Economics with a year abroad), Exeter (Economics with a year abroad), Durham (Economics with a year abroad), and maybe Edinburgh and St. Andrews for economics with the hope of getting a good destination should I manage to take a year abroad (Scotland-based applicant so no fees)?

I should make it known that I do not want to go to Oxbridge. I understand it is a very good institution but I just cannot say that I feel it is for me right now; maybe postgrad if I wanted to try. I am considering LSE but the fact that I would never get to do a year abroad is something that particularly turns me off. I want to do a year abroad in the USA so as to gain contacts there and for the international experience. New York in particular. Warwick also looks like an unpleasant place to study for 3 years for me personally but if you believe you can persuade me otherwise then please try!

Ultimately: which universities should I apply to in order to hopefully gain a graduate job with one of the big American (based) investment banks such as JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Citigroup, Jefferies, Lazard, Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch, Wells Fargo? I aspire to get a job at one of them and then hopefully secure a transfer to the NY/USA branch.

Thank you!

It's great that you are interested in this but i'm going to be the bearer of bad news here: your chances are infinitesimally small.

If you want to work in the States, apply to Ivy League/other top unis there. Banks don't really recruit out of the US for their US based offices. Whereas in the UK, they can recruit for the entire EMEA region.

Getting into London and then transferring is the best course of action.

Given your last statement, you do, indeed, understand the odds. I'd say just focus on the targets and one or two semi targets.

Target schools being: Oxbridge, UCL, Warwick, LSE and Imperial.

Semi targets being: Durham, Edinburgh, Bristol, Nottingham, St. Andrews etc.

Lazard is French BTW. Don't limit yourself to US banks - any bulge bracket firm will have offices in the US.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
It's great that you are interested in this but i'm going to be the bearer of bad news here: your chances are infinitesimally small.

If you want to work in the States, apply to Ivy League/other top unis there. Banks don't really recruit out of the US for their US based offices. Whereas in the UK, they can recruit for the entire EMEA region.

Getting into London and then transferring is the best course of action.

Given your last statement, you do, indeed, understand the odds. I'd say just focus on the targets and one or two semi targets.

Target schools being: Oxbridge, UCL, Warwick, LSE and Imperial.

Semi targets being: Durham, Edinburgh, Bristol, Nottingham, St. Andrews etc.

Lazard is French BTW. Don't limit yourself to US banks - any bulge bracket firm will have offices in the US.

What's the EMEA region? Sorry :s

And thank you! Do you have any idea what Warwick is like? I always got the impression that it wasn't very well-known overseas and that the surrounding area is somewhat dismal. Also; I thought Durham was a target uni?

Finally, it says that Exeter Econ grads have an avg. starting salary of £26k, which I thought seemed rather good. I really like their course, the area, the university. But it doesn't ever seem to be mentioned as a target uni :frown: Do you think I would even have a chance of a graduate job at one of the big 4 if I went there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Draco Dormiens
What's the EMEA region? Sorry :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

EMEA = Europe, Middle East and Africa

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending