The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Which York College?

Scroll to see replies

May I ask why people don't seem to say much good about Halifax? Due to the car parking facilities, I'd be inclined to choose Halifax - what are the pros and cons?
University of York
York
Original post by lizziehumphreys
May I ask why people don't seem to say much good about Halifax? Due to the car parking facilities, I'd be inclined to choose Halifax - what are the pros and cons?

It's out of the way, has no bar, and is generally kinda crappy (was in Halifax last year)
Original post by lizziehumphreys

Yeah it's not on campus, I'm not sure how far the walk is (everything looks pretty close together on google maps, but then it has to else it wouldn't all fit on my monitor), if I get into York I think I might try to get Halifax, I'd rather live on the campus but it's the only college that seems to offer 51 week lets.
Original post by magnitudezero
Yeah it's not on campus, I'm not sure how far the walk is (everything looks pretty close together on google maps, but then it has to else it wouldn't all fit on my monitor), if I get into York I think I might try to get Halifax, I'd rather live on the campus but it's the only college that seems to offer 51 week lets.

With a decent pace it's 10-15 minutes or so, depending where you're going, to get to stuff on the West Campus, never had any real need to go to east, but I think that's no more than about half an hour with a decent pace. There is also the shuttle bus every half hour.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JRS_
Does the shuttle bus cost money or is it free? I heard that one runs from west to east campus.

Free, every 30 mins from something like half 7 in the morning to 7 in the evening and goes Halifax->YUSU building->Heslington hall, through the science park, across the hest east all the way to the sports village and back again. (And the 44 bus is also free between the Wentworth stop and the end of the line uni side)
http://www.yorkbus.co.uk/times.jsp?routeID=254
(edited 8 years ago)
I've firmed an offer to study Business Management and I'm looking at Langwith perhaps but I like a good drink/social scene so would being on East be a bad thing?
York fans are invited to help and support at: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2465719&page=378
The Russell group hurt/heal game
I am having trouble choosing a college too.
I am torn between Langwith and James, although they seem to be polar opposites to each other. I liked James because of its central location, catered option and its generally nice community feel (despite being similar, I ruled out Derwent because the nightlife seems a bit too full on).
However, when I saw Langwith, I liked it just as much. It was different, modern and the accommodation and facilities looked incredible (especially the Glasshouse). But Langwith doesn't offer catered food and I can't cook anything, but want to know if this has been an issue for people like me who would probably be challenged to cook up something every meal each day.
I'm not too fussed about having my lectures at Hes West whilst living at Hes East, but any advice and help in making my decision will be hugely appreciated.
Original post by jverlaan
I am torn between Langwith and James, although they seem to be polar opposites to each other. I liked James because of its central location, catered option and its generally nice community feel (despite being similar, I ruled out Derwent because the nightlife seems a bit too full on).
However, when I saw Langwith, I liked it just as much. It was different, modern and the accommodation and facilities looked incredible (especially the Glasshouse). But Langwith doesn't offer catered food and I can't cook anything, but want to know if this has been an issue for people like me who would probably be challenged to cook up something every meal each day.
I'm not too fussed about having my lectures at Hes West whilst living at Hes East, but any advice and help in making my decision will be hugely appreciated.

I'm in the same position as you. Choosing between James, Goodricke and Langwith.
I like the idea of cycling home after uni to Hest East and feeling like I am going 'home'. Hes East also seems like a good community that is friendly which is really important to me (second to the parting scene as I am not a big drinker/clubber). It is also near Heslington village which appeals to me.
HOWEVER
I can not and frankly can't be bothered to cook everyday therefore I have been looking at catered. James looks the friendliest/nicest catered college and it is in a good location. However at £150 per week for a standard shared bathroom it is quite steep.
If only Goodricke/Langwith had a catered option!! I have heard that you can buy meal plans to eat in the dining halls even if you are in self catered, however it may be inconvenient on days that I don't have lectures

decisions, decisions. We probably will not get our preferred choice anyway though!
Original post by charliep9
I'm in the same position as you. Choosing between James, Goodricke and Langwith.
I like the idea of cycling home after uni to Hest East and feeling like I am going 'home'. Hes East also seems like a good community that is friendly which is really important to me (second to the parting scene as I am not a big drinker/clubber). It is also near Heslington village which appeals to me.
HOWEVER
I can not and frankly can't be bothered to cook everyday therefore I have been looking at catered. James looks the friendliest/nicest catered college and it is in a good location. However at £150 per week for a standard shared bathroom it is quite steep.
If only Goodricke/Langwith had a catered option!! I have heard that you can buy meal plans to eat in the dining halls even if you are in self catered, however it may be inconvenient on days that I don't have lectures

decisions, decisions. We probably will not get our preferred choice anyway though!

West is much closer to the village and all the accommodation is steep

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by charliep9
HOWEVER

Couldn't agree more with the need for a catered option at Hes East colleges! I am now slightly leaning towards Langwith because of the whole community idea. Once the novelty of freshers wears off, I imagine I would be more comfortable in a relaxed yet still sociable college like Langwith. But then the issue of food still lingers with me, and I have to question my decision all over again.
I'm probably going to have Langwith and James (catered) as my first and second preferences (not decided on the order though) in the hope that the accommodation system makes the choice for me!
What are you planning on studying if you don't mind me asking? I'm doing PPE.
Original post by jverlaan

I'm planning on having Derwent as my first choice, what do you mean when you say the nightlife is too full on? (I've firmed York for Bio).
I'm only choosing between the catered colleges 'cause I'll end up having pasta every other day otherwise...
How are you all even affording the steep 150 quid a week for some rooms? I'm taking derwent purely because it's cheap and I don't have much of a choice
Original post by jonnynoctu
I'm planning on having Derwent as my first choice, what do you mean when you say the nightlife is too full on? (I've firmed York for Bio).
I'm only choosing between the catered colleges 'cause I'll end up having pasta every other day otherwise...

From what I've been told from current York students, Derwent has a rep for holding regular club events at their college's Club D. However, one doesn't have to go to any social events if they don't want to so i guess any college is as sociable as you want it to be.
I definitely agree with you on the pasta dilemma. And even then, I'm a bit shaky when it comes to cooking pasta
Original post by jonnynoctu

What's wrong with pasta every other day?! I make do with pasta twice a day with soup upon getting home from the bar and noodles or pizza for midnight snacks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is york first come first serve when it comes to accommodation?
Original post by Shady778
Is york first come first serve when it comes to accommodation?

It used to be, and it was terrible. I don't think it is any more, you select different accommodation in order of preference and then I assume somebody juggles it all and tries to get as many people in the highest preference they can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spammyannie
I've firmed an offer to study Business Management and I'm looking at Langwith perhaps but I like a good drink/social scene so would being on East be a bad thing?

hey I'm studying the same course as you. At first I thought Langwith because of how close it is to the business department. However I have heard that Heslington East is very quiet. Now I have decided I will live on Heslington West (probably James Collge) because it seems there is more going on that campus.
Original post by Jammy Duel
It used to be, and it was terrible. I don't think it is any more, you select different accommodation in order of preference and then I assume somebody juggles it all and tries to get as many people in the highest preference they can.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay cheers for that bud :smile:
Do people on hes east enjoy it? as goodricke looks so nice!!

Quick Reply

Latest