The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD223
That sounds sensible! My college made a paper booklet of past papers which I may do, but don't feel they benefit me as much as the actually unit 4/5 theory papers :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

what are thee theory papers?
Reply 641
Original post by Cosmocos
what are thee theory papers?

I mean the PHYA4 and PHYA5 exams. The EMPA is more of a practical task than a theory paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I mean the PHYA4 and PHYA5 exams. The EMPA is more of a practical task than a theory paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh lol yh makes sense
Original post by simonli2575
Questions regarding the old syllabus: Are they syllabuses the same or similar with minor differences? And where can I find the grade boundaries for those?

The legacy specification is almost the same as the current and the NEXT specification is hardy changed at all my teacher says. This means the questions are the same as they were 10 years ago (EXCEPT abit harder now due to MR Gove). They keep the physics spec similar to not annoy teachers. therefore do as many as possible!!! Grade bounadries dunno put as they have changed the frmat I would worry about that, I would look at last years and it will be the same of higher for the 2015 exams!!!
How likely is it for a "practical question to come up where we have to set up an apparatus and record the results bla bla bla
I know this is a bit off topic but do you get a formula sheet for the written part of the empa?
Original post by CD223
I believe the time for energy transfer is the time between maximums using figure 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile

great, thank you! :smile:
I just wondered if anybody could explain Q4cii on JUNE 2010 EMPA to me, regarding the period of the pendulum. Thank you!!!
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHA6B6X-W-QP-JUN10.PDF
Reply 648
Oh lol yh makes sense

Haha. How's your revision going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 649
Original post by Hellomoto.
The legacy specification is almost the same as the current and the NEXT specification is hardy changed at all my teacher says. This means the questions are the same as they were 10 years ago (EXCEPT abit harder now due to MR Gove). They keep the physics spec similar to not annoy teachers. therefore do as many as possible!!! Grade bounadries dunno put as they have changed the frmat I would worry about that, I would look at last years and it will be the same of higher for the 2015 exams!!!

How far back are you going in terms of past papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 650
How likely is it for a "practical question to come up where we have to set up an apparatus and record the results bla bla bla

Well it's not going to appear in the theory exam. The only time that will happen is your ISA/EMPA.

You might be asked to comment on an experiment in the theory paper though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 651
Original post by jonno1352
I know this is a bit off topic but do you get a formula sheet for the written part of the empa?

No, unfortunately you do not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 652
Original post by aprocrastinator
great, thank you! :smile:

No worries!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 653
Original post by Hellomoto.
I just wondered if anybody could explain Q4cii on JUNE 2010 EMPA to me, regarding the period of the pendulum. Thank you!!!
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHA6B6X-W-QP-JUN10.PDF

Count the number of maximums in the graph and look at how long this has taken.

EG: 12 oscillations in 20 seconds. Then you know that the frequency is 12/20, so the time period is 20/12 = 1.75 seconds :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Haha. How's your revision going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not bad. Calculations are going well, got ally my definitions and basic concepts and formulas flashcards. Now I just need to know what I need to right for those "explain" and "describe" questions, then it's full pas papers :smile:
Original post by CD223

The legacy specification started in 2001 and finished in 2009 =), My teacher gave us a HW every week with the questions =) Cyberphysics has some of them, enjoy!!!!!!!!!
http://www.cyberphysics.co.uk/Q&A/KS5/indexKS5Q&A.html
Original post by CD223

EG: 12 oscillations in 20 seconds. Then you know that the frequency is 12/20, so the time period is 20/12 = 1.75 seconds :smile:
Thank you, I understand now!!! :smile:
Reply 657
Not bad. Calculations are going well, got ally my definitions and basic concepts and formulas flashcards. Now I just need to know what I need to right for those "explain" and "describe" questions, then it's full pas papers :smile:

Sounds a good plan! Good luck with that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 658
[QUOTE="Hellomoto.;55460319"]
Original post by CD223

The legacy specification started in 2001 and finished in 2009 =), My teacher gave us a HW every week with the questions =) Cyberphysics has some of them, enjoy!!!!!!!!!
http://www.cyberphysics.co.uk/Q&A/KS5/indexKS5Q&A.html

Ah thank you! I'll give those a go :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 659
[QUOTE="Hellomoto.;55460481"]
Original post by CD223

Thank you, I understand now!!! :smile:

No worries! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending