The Student Room Group

Best UK Prime Minister ever?

And why.

Scroll to see replies

Margaret Thatcher closely followed by David Cameron (Closely followed by Winston Churchill). They both inherited messes and then turned Britain around. Plus Thatcher (And Churchill) won a war.
Without the British bulldog all europe would be talking German now (from a Greek)
Lol at David Cameron "turning around" the mess.

I'd say clement Attlee
Reply 4
Original post by cleverasvoltaire
And why.

Churchill.:pimp:

I love that dog in the advert."oh yes", he could save on your car insurance.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Redzooeny
Margaret Thatcher closely followed by David Cameron (Closely followed by Winston Churchill). They both inherited messes and then turned Britain around. Plus Thatcher (And Churchill) won a war.

lol
Reply 6
Clement Attlee. He inherited a much bigger mess than Cameron or Thatcher did and set in motion a much bigger turnaround. Granted, his grand plans wouldn't be possible today because they were so dependent on American aid, and Cameron is doing a fairly good job considering that he doesn't have that aid available, but there's simply no way that the economic crisis of the last few years is at all comparable to the economic crisis triggered by six years of total war in which Britain struggled for its very survival.

Churchill would come second, simply because he successfully turned the war around from near disaster in 1940 to victory in 1945. Had it not been for his leadership, there's every possibility that Britain would have quit early on and left Europe to be swallowed up by the Nazis or the Soviets.
(edited 8 years ago)
William Pitt the Elder. William Pitt the Younger. After that People like Lord Palmerston, though I think he was a better foreign secretary. I rather like Neville Chamberlain, he was a good governor of the nation. Worst PM's would have to be Lloyd George, Lord North, Clement Attlee, Harold Wilson, Tony Blair.
Thatcher
Margaret Thatcher.
Reply 10
Our most accomplished Prime Minister was Clement Attlee. To compare the economic recovery he instigated or the collapse which necessitated it to the accomplishments or situations of Margaret Thatcher or David Cameron is to reduce one's argument to the absurd. His construction of the first 'welfare state' and embrace of Keynesianism lead to a thirty-five year period of prosperity and increasing equality. These reforms were repealed and Attlee's legacy dismantled at the terminus of this period by one of the least successful administrations this country has seen - that of Mrs. Thatcher. This reversal was followed, not coincidentally, by a period of a similar length to the one that preceded it, but not of similar quality for the people of this county. Thatcher and the parade of like-minded men who followed in her footsteps set forth carving up publicly-owned industries between their corporate partners under the guise of Milton Friedman's lies and dismantling any safeguards between private money-making and those institutions and industries which should be run on behalf of the people and which should not be motivated by profit. The result has been a spiralling decent arriving at where we are now - a polarised, atomised and individualised society with no common unity, where adjusted living standards are as low as during the Great Depression and income inequality is greater than during the roaring twenties.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thatcher.
Reply 12
Margaret Thatcher, the Iron Lady. Got things done and wasn't bullied by the trade unions or Argentina.
Maggie, Maggie, Maggie!
people acting like thatcher is a demi god

she's a pleb compared to walpole
Tony Blair.. I want him back. Cameron Milliband Clegg are all Blair clones but without the substance shame about iraq he ballsed up there big time.
Reply 16
The best Prime Minister we never had was Sir Archibald Sinclair of the Liberal Party.

The best Prime Minister we did have i'd say was Clement Attlee with Churchill, Ramsay Macdonald and Asquith coming close.
from an irish point of view

Gladestrone.
David Cameron

for being a great communicator and exposing institutional child abuse
Clement Attlee.

Cameron is a reptilian scumbag like Thatcher and Churchill before him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending