The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
What is it out of?

Posted from TSR Mobile

200 - 80 for my coursework, and 120 for the exam. I'm SO confused.
Original post by tomfailinghelp

You'll need 100/120 to get 180/200 which is 90 %

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone on here help me with a UMS issue? The way A*s work is very confusing with A2 and I think my dreadful maths skills are really starting to show...

If I need 90% overall at A2 (not worrying about AS), and I already know I've full marks in 20% of the A2 course, does that mean I could just get 80 UMS in the exam (which constitutes 80% of the grade) and still get an A*? I'm doing AQA, so I just need 80% overall and 90% at A2 for an A*.

This sounds wrong to me, but I'm so confused. For some reason I thought I needed a minimum of 86 UMS for that, but now I don't know.

So you have full marks on 20% of the A2.

So the exams = 80% of the A2.

You want 90% of your A2 marks.

Hypothetically, if the A2 was out of 100 UMS then you already have 20, the exams are worth 80 UMS and you need 70 UMS from these available 80 to get 90 UMS overall i.e. 90%.

Therefore you need 70/80 = 7/8 = 87.5% of the UMS available from the rest of the A2 i.e. the exams.
Raw marks are usually rounded up when they are converted to UMS (depending on how difficult the paper is) so in terms of the actual percentage of raw marks you need, probably slightly lower than 87.5%

EDIT: Hold on, so you have full marks for 20% of the A2 course but the coursework = 40% of it?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rhetorical Hips

Hypothetically, if the A2 was out of 100 UMS then you already have 20, the exams are worth 80 UMS and you need 70 UMS from these available 80 to get 90 UMS overall i.e. 90%.

Therefore you need 70/80 = 7/8 = 87.5% of the UMS available from the rest of the A2 i.e. the exams.
Raw marks are usually rounded up when they are converted to UMS (depending on how difficult the paper is) so in terms of the actual percentage of raw marks you need, probably slightly lower than 87.5%

I have a feeling that you're right, because I got 86% last time I tried to figure it out. I'm still a bit confused though.

The A2 is out of 200 UMS. The coursework is therefore 80 UMS. If I got 80 UMS, then, does that not mean I only need 100 from the exam?
I have a feeling that you're right, because I got 86% last time I tried to figure it out. I'm still a bit confused though.

The A2 is out of 200 UMS. The coursework is therefore 80 UMS. If I got 80 UMS, then, does that not mean I only need 100 from the exam?

Yes that's correct.

So the coursework is 40% of the A2 marks? And you already know that you have 20% (i.e. 40 UMS) of the total A2 marks in the bag?

EDIT: Hold on, so you have full marks for 20% of the A2 course but the coursework = 40% of it?

Hahaha, sorry, I'm being an idiot! The '20%' figure is irrelevant, that is how much of the whole A-Level it is, and it just snuck in there by accident.

The coursework is 40% of the 200, 80.
Hahaha, sorry, I'm being an idiot! The '20%' figure is irrelevant, that is how much of the whole A-Level it is, and it just snuck in their by accident.

The coursework is 40% of the 200, 80.

Problem solved then :lol: , yeah you need 100/120 of the UMS = 83.3%

Potentially, if the paper is really difficult, then you won't actually need 83.3% of the raw marks. Maybe 80% ish instead, all depends I guess.
(edited 8 years ago)
Problem solved then :lol: , yeah you need 100/120 of the UMS = 83.3%

Potentially, if the paper is really difficult, then you won't actually need 83.3% of the raw marks. Maybe 80% ish instead, all depends I guess.

:rolleyes: Yeah, starting to see how I got a C in GCSE Maths.

That's actually excellent! I thought I was gonna need 39/45 in all of my History questions for an A* over all, but it turns out its more like 34-35 :biggrin: parttaaaaaaaay
Original post by ShellySpielberg
Well, IB exams start tomorrow...
Good luck to everyone! May the fourth be with us all!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you find it?
Original post by ILovePancakes
How did you find it?

Well, English paper 1 went really well i think/hope.
So just 14 more to go ^^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, English paper 1 went really well i think/hope.
So just 14 more to go ^^

Posted from TSR Mobile

When do you exams finish then? I pressume endnof may early june?

Posted from TSR Mobile
When do you exams finish then? I pressume endnof may early june?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, may 23. When do yours start?

I have M3 on the 13th may. Then the rest in June with around 10 exams from 10/11th till 22nd. Good luck with yours!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have M3 on the 13th may. Then the rest in June with around 10 exams from 10/11th till 22nd. Good luck with yours!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! You too!

You are a lucky sod! Mine start June 4th :frown:

Hope they go well dude :smile:
You are a lucky sod! Mine start June 4th :frown:

Hope they go well dude :smile:

Haha, dunno how lucky I am... wouldn't mind more time to study physics
But thanks ^^ good luck to you when you start! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else feel pretty disgusted by the offer holder fb page?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why so?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this about that weird post that was just deleted or the general amount of random, annoying stuff that gets posted (and inevitably descends into political debate)?
Is this about that weird post that was just deleted or the general amount of random, annoying stuff that gets posted (and inevitably descends into political debate)?

Well yeah it's mostly that post like obviously it's one individual, but also the number of people picking arguments with each other over nothing and its just generally pretty annoying

I might leave the group tbh but I don't want to miss anything that might give me an insight into what it might be like next year

It's a shame because it's only about 20 individuals who seem to think the group is an appropriate place to post all their (very strong and potentially offensive) opinions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending