The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fallen_acorns
jeeze the chelsea scoring/defending stats are something else..

Just shows how utterly ruthless jose is, and how he will never let a league slip..

(from bbc)

Up to 17th january - 19 goals conceeded, 51 goals scored.

After 17th january - 8 goals conceeded, 18 goals scored.

- He did not just park a bus on a match, he parked it on the whole league.

A manager that will do anything for the win.

He did the same thing last season. He likes to go offensive first half of the season then he goes defensive second half if we're conceding too many goals.

Original post by al_94
Yeah because the BPL is weak at the moment but remember Mourinho was not that succesful in Real Madrid. Also they couldn't even beat ten man PSG with their best player off so you can't say that methodology is all that.

At Real Madrid he didn't play park the bus football bar for a few games. Most of the time he just sat back and countered teams.

Original post by leinad2012
But not everyone does so it's irrelevant. If you haven't realised the winning style of play changes every few years. Back at the end of the noughties you had the Barca tika taka team press method which dominated, then you had Inter and Chelsea winning the CL by parking the bus, and then you had Barca with tika taka again, then Bayern and Madrid with a total domination mix of high press, efficient play.
It's a cycle, one method dominates for a few years and no-one can touch them, and them someone figures them out and smashes them (e.g. Barca getting spunked on by Bayern a few years ago).
I don't think Chelsea are all that tough to figure out, you play a tight 4-2-3-1 and keep the fullbacks back, and don't bother crossing at all. That way you have 6 guys in the middle to force the defence apart. The problem is desperation; if you go into the game needing to beat them (i.e. score) and they can take a draw, then it's going to be a draw. If you go into the game level on points or ahead of them, you can also sit back, or try to lure them out because they need to win. Which is why we need to start next season on the front foot, taking 25 points from the first 10 games so that we are NEVER in a position where Chelsea are ahead of us.

The worst thing is going narrow against Chelsea because we have a wall protecting a wall. The way to beat Chelsea is to force them out wide, drag the DM out of position(using the right side since Ivanovic needs to be covered a fair bit then from there go in narrow). When defending against Chelsea going narrow is important but you have to use width against Chelsea if you are planning on scoring against them(see City games and the PSG 1-1 draw).

Will also help to have tall players because crossing is meat and drink for Terry and Cahill.

Chelsea are good at playing catchup, which from last season you could see, it was more Chelsea slipping once the team were slightly ahead that killed the league (i.e. the Crystal Palace and Sunderland games). Although Mourinho doesn't let strong leads slip. If you're 5 points behind then there's no point bothering.
Original post by sr90
In the UK yes this is true, but the Premier League has still barely tapped in to huge markets like Asia and the USA.

Why would Asia and the usa WANT to watch it, the bpl is **** compared to other top leagues
Why would Asia and the usa WANT to watch it, the bpl is **** compared to other top leagues

Language is a good reason for it..

USA is obvious - same language, and we are more closly tied with them.

But also in asia - every chiense person I know is learning english, and knows about england.. most of them also know about a good few english teams. though never actually watch it, due to the time difference.

I dont know many spanish or german speaking chinese people.. and whilst you dont need the language to follow a league - it does help. It means you can watch the player interviews of the club you support.. understand the manager talking without need for subtitles/translations - and it just helps add a little extra into their motivation for following a football club.

I would also add that whilst all of us regular football fans know that the PL is no longer the top league - that is not common knowledge amoungst other countries where they dont follow football as much. I would put money that if you polled people in asia about what is the top european football league - the majority would say the english league..
Ffs looks like Ramsey on the right again
Ramsey will be out right untill we lose.

But also in asia - every chiense person I know is learning english, and knows about england.. most of them also know about a good few english teams. though never actually watch it, due to the time difference.

I dont know many spanish or german speaking chinese people.. and whilst you dont need the language to follow a league - it does help. It means you can watch the player interviews of the club you support.. understand the manager talking without need for subtitles/translations - and it just helps add a little extra into their motivation for following a football club.

I would also add that whilst all of us regular football fans know that the PL is no longer the top league - that is not common knowledge amoungst other countries where they dont follow football as much. I would put money that if you polled people in asia about what is the top european football league - the majority would say the english league..

i concur; language is a much bigger influence than you think.

the general exposure of the BPL and the coverage along with how big it is here means that even though the spanish league may be "better", many people in the US and asia are going to watch it anyway.
I don't mind Ramsey being in the side, we should win, maybe 0-1 or 1-2.
burnley qpr + newcastle is what I hope for..

The three you mentioned, is what expect

Sunderland deserve to get relegated for hurting Diaby
Original post by Arkasia
I don't mind Ramsey being in the side, we should win, maybe 0-1 or 1-2.

Ramsey should be in the side every game but in the middle, not out wide
Good luck guys - i'd rather you get 2nd place than city so i hope you win :smile:

i don't see hull posing much of a threat.
i know they beat us but that's mainly because we don't know how to play football anymore...
Btw 8:00 kick off on a bank holiday is ridiculous, should have been much earlier in the day at a comfortable time for fans to get to and from the game

Interesting theory, whilst it wouldn't matter in matches it probably does for press conferences and things like that.

Have a bad feeling we'll drop points today, 3 at the back man Girouds gonna struggle
Poor Welbeck. He should be back at the weekend, though, says Wenger.
arsenal are gonna lose
Original post by al_94
Sunderland deserve to get relegated for hurting Diaby

An incident that happened 9 years ago involving a player whos last club was in the 5th tier of Australian football. I'd imagine the standard there is so low that we could enter a TSR FF XI and do well.
le coq wont have a face by the end of the season
Lucky
lovely stuff
I just had a feeling that was going in

Beautiful player, clearly should be at a better team
Lol @ the commentator. "Great free-kick":biggrin:

Latest