The Student Room Group

Should the UK discourage Students from Studying Abroad?

Poll

should the UK ban

England and English values are in a time of crisis, largely due to our young people taking gap years or studying abroad at uni or even doing their whole degrees there, and unskilled immigrants filling the gap they leave behind.

Should the government ban young people from studying abroad for more than a semester (and hence paying UK universities income that they badly need as unis face devastation due to budget cuts), so they can see other cultures but also contribute to the UK more via paid fees?

I also think that we should reduce international students possibly by putting a cap on, but keep fees the same for English students by reducing "Mickey Mouse" degrees/universities. Paying 10k a year does not entitle an international to come and study here and then go on benefits.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No.
Reply 2
Original post by *Stefan*
No.

Why?
Reply 3
Original post by UKIProud
Why?

What do you mean "why"? You'd ban the right of people to leave their country?

Do you want to turn the UK into North Korea or something?
Reply 4
Original post by *Stefan*
What do you mean "why"? You'd ban the right of people to leave their country?

Do you want to turn the UK into North Korea or something?

Not ban just discourage. For example by preventing universities for offering more than a semester abroad. Like it or not there is a skills/food shortage in England due to many youth leaving

North Korea has no problems with immigrants
Reply 5
I do not think so.

Firstly, it's a personal choice for students wanting to study abroad and they should be given that choice because it would cause a lot of social uproar of their choice to study abroad for more than a semester is taken away.

Futhermore, you have stated that UNSKILLED immigrants fill in the gap by coming over to study here. I don't know how you came to the conclusion that immigrants are unskilled as a lot of immigrants are bringing more to the UK than english students are; many immigrants are happy to work for the minimum wage if they have to because they have originated from an LEDC and there are still a vast amount of students and young people claiming JSA for more than two years.
Reply 6
Not ban just discourage. For example by preventing universities for offering more than a semester abroad. Like it or not there is a skills/food shortage in England due to many youth leaving

North Korea has no problems with immigrants

No. The programmes should be tailored to benefit the students, not satisfy the agenda of the goverment.

When a noticeable amount of young people leave their home country, structural problems are to blame. Short-term bans and regulations will not produce any effect in the long-term.

For obvious reasons, don't you think?
Lol troll. This makes no sense at all.
England and English values are in a time of crisis, largely due to our young people taking gap years or studying abroad at uni or even doing their whole degrees there, and unskilled immigrants filling the gap they leave behind.

Should the government ban young people from studying abroad for more than a semester (and hence paying UK universities income that they badly need as unis face devastation due to budget cuts), so they can see other cultures but also contribute to the UK more via paid fees?

I also think that we should reduce international students possibly by putting a cap on, but keep fees the same for English students by reducing "Mickey Mouse" degrees/universities. Paying 10k a year does not entitle an international to come and study here and then go on benefits.

Internationals can't go on benefits unless they find a job that pays 24k a year I believe.

International students are a form of cultural export, they take back british values when they go back to their own country which most of them do.
Original post by Okorange
Internationals can't go on benefits unless they find a job that pays 24k a year I believe.

International students are a form of cultural export, they take back british values when they go back to their own country which most of them do.

International students stick to others from their own country and only speak to British students out of necessity, no British values really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Like it or not there is a skills/food shortage in England due to many youth leaving

There's a food shortage in England people because young people are leaving? How exactly does that work, OP?
How about no. Studying abroad allows students to get a different experience of university and experience different cultures. Be this studying permanently at a foreign university, studying for a year at one or doing an industrial placement abroad for a year. I don't care if it harms the country as you suppose. Believe it or not, a lot of us want to leave this country and explore opportunities abroad to get away from raving nationalists who have their heads embedded into their anus. In fact on my degree, I'm looking to hopefully get an industrial placement abroad(maybe in China)
Original post by yabbayabba
International students stick to others from their own country and only speak to British students out of necessity, no British values really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not all internationals, Americans, Canadians don't do this. It depends on where they are from and their personality. More outgoing people tend to be able to adapt easily, people who are coming from the cultural experience or come from a more similar culture will also make british friends easily.

They do get British values in the sense that they will at least know Britain as a country, know a bit more about the cities, the key facts.
Reply 13

why did they remove neg rep? You want to ban people from leaving?
This is also a freedom of speech/movement issue. Since doing so would essentially be big government intruding into your personal life.

Cultural exchange goes a long way into helping people understand each other. People who have no knowledge of other people's cultures are the people most susceptible to brainwashing tactics.
Not all internationals, Americans, Canadians don't do this. It depends on where they are from and their personality. More outgoing people tend to be able to adapt easily, people who are coming from the cultural experience or come from a more similar culture will also make british friends easily.

They do get British values in the sense that they will at least know Britain as a country, know a bit more about the cities, the key facts.

Americans and Canadians, yes. As the culture isn't that different, plus there's a shared language. I've never met an Australian or Irish student, but I'd imagine it would be the same for students of those nations too. Otherwise, I think every other foreign nation would stick to their own culture and students who speak their language.

Chinese students exclusively hang out with other Chinese students and speak their own language, same with French students, Indians etc. regardless of how outgoing they are. University is sometimes branded as this international melting pot of different cultures, allowing you to expand your horizons by meeting other students from various countries. That's complete crap. There's little inter-mingling. Students just live parallel lives within their own cultures. It's a shame.

Ok, basic British facts. That's not British values though.
Americans and Canadians, yes. As the culture isn't that different, plus there's a shared language. I've never met an Australian or Irish student, but I'd imagine it would be the same for students of those nations too. Otherwise, I think every other foreign nation would stick to their own culture and students who speak their language.

Chinese students exclusively hang out with other Chinese students and speak their own language, same with French students, Indians etc. regardless of how outgoing they are. University is sometimes branded as this international melting pot of different cultures, allowing you to expand your horizons by meeting other students from various countries. That's complete crap. There's little inter-mingling. Students just live parallel lives within their own cultures. It's a shame.

Ok, basic British facts. That's not British values though.

Ok British values and while I agree with what you said is true most of the time but there are exceptions.

I think inevitably there is some cultural connection. I'm sure most international students will go home having at least tried British food, talked to British people, been to a festival or two. Even if you hung out with your own people you'll learn something at least. Its cultural exchange nonetheless.
Immigrants are willing to intergrate and impress us with their work ethic.
Ok British values and while I agree with what you said is true most of the time but there are exceptions.

I think inevitably there is some cultural connection. I'm sure most international students will go home having at least tried British food, talked to British people, been to a festival or two. Even if you hung out with your own people you'll learn something at least. Its cultural exchange nonetheless.

Not really, it's basically like tourism. What you're describing - talking to the odd British person, going to a festival, trying foreign food - that's what tourists do. Are you saying that you feel you have a deep cultural understanding of a country by just doing touristy things and not making friends with any of the local people? Befriending a local is the most important part of cultural exchange. Without that, foreign students are simply guests in a different cultural bubble and continue to feel that way.
Not really, it's basically like tourism. What you're describing - talking to the odd British person, going to a festival, trying foreign food - that's what tourists do. Are you saying that you feel you have a deep cultural understanding of a country by just doing touristy things and not making friends with any of the local people? Befriending a local is the most important part of cultural exchange. Without that, foreign students are simply guests in a different cultural bubble and continue to feel that way.

If you were a tourist for 3-4 years it would change you. Its not visiting the country for a week or two.

I'm sure that most befriend a local its 3-4 years... I think you are being a bit cynical here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending