The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Can any Astro person help me define what a quasar is?
I know it's a very luminous and distant body that has been red shifted large amounts, but what actually is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 661
For all those doing astrophysics, here's my personal revision guide:

CD223's guide to Astrophysics
Original post by CD223
Can any Astro person help me define what a quasar is?
I know it's a very luminous and distant body that has been red shifted large amounts, but what actually is it?
We have been told they are "star like" objects!!!

But all you need to know is what you said above!!!
Reply 663
Original post by Hellomoto.

We have been told they are "star like" objects!!!
But all you need to know is what you said above!!!

I've heard they link to black holes - how?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I've heard they link to black holes - how?
I dont understand this but it is in my notes:biggrin:
As they are very luminous, emission lines are present which means energy is generated through non-thermal mechanisms. Very long baseline interferometry shows that the central energy source is confined to a volume of space similar to the size of the solar system. This implies that the energy source is the infall of matter to a supermassive balck whole which is throught to be at the centre of every galaxy.

A foreign language to me!!! Just glad we DONT need to know this but its interesting!!
Sorry the reply thing isnt working having to do a quick reply!
Reply 665
Original post by Hellomoto.

As they are very luminous, emission lines are present which means energy is generated through non-thermal mechanisms. Very long baseline interferometry shows that the central energy source is confined to a volume of space similar to the size of the solar system. This implies that the energy source is the infall of matter to a supermassive balck whole which is throught to be at the centre of every galaxy.

Ah okay - thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 666
Original post by CD223
That's very true.

We have an EMPA prep lesson right before the exam. I think it will only stress me out lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really sure if our teacher is planning on doing EMPA prep in this weeks lessons or just general revision sessions... I'd hate to do it straight before the exam though!
Reply 667
Original post by Lau14
Not really sure if our teacher is planning on doing EMPA prep in this weeks lessons or just general revision sessions... I'd hate to do it straight before the exam though!

Haha. My day is physics EMPA lesson, free period, EMPA, free period. Essentially this day is dedicated to it.

See you on the other side... 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Haha. My day is physics EMPA lesson, free period, EMPA, free period. Essentially this day is dedicated to it.

See you on the other side... 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you finished your empa exam?
Reply 669
Original post by CD223

See you on the other side...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got double physics tomorrow afternoon, 1 hour on Thursday, but on Friday I've just got double chemistry and the EMPA which because it's right where my maths lesson should be. Hope yours went well! :smile:
Reply 670
Original post by DCMed96
So you finished your empa exam?

Yeah, finished it today. Relieved in a way, but just want to know my result.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 671
Original post by Lau14
I've got double physics tomorrow afternoon, 1 hour on Thursday, but on Friday I've just got double chemistry and the EMPA which because it's right where my maths lesson should be. Hope yours went well! :smile:

Thank you!

Ah I'm just glad it's over. Got a month until my next exam now. Need to keep at it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 672
Original post by CD223
Thank you!

Ah I'm just glad it's over. Got a month until my next exam now. Need to keep at it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ha my first exam after the EMPA is next Wednesday :/ busy few weeks doing maths past papers now I think!
Reply 673
Original post by Lau14
Ha my first exam after the EMPA is next Wednesday :/ busy few weeks doing maths past papers now I think!

Ah I have 7 exams now. 3 maths, 2 physics and 1 computing and history :colondollar:
Reply 674
Original post by CD223
Ah I have 7 exams now. 3 maths, 2 physics and 1 computing and history :colondollar:

It doesn't even feel like exams are about to start yet, feels like there's still ages to go!
Reply 675
Original post by Lau14
It doesn't even feel like exams are about to start yet, feels like there's still ages to go!

I totally agree. Oh my the amount of messages I've been getting since I said I'd done the EMPA is ridiculous :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 676
Hey CD223 check your pm please
Reply 677
Original post by sm1297
Hey CD223 check your pm please

I have, and I'm afraid I can't disclose any more information than is given in Lau14's guide to the A2 EMPA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So what paper are we all planning to start first in the actual exam? I'm planning to start the option topic paper first; turning points for me.
Reply 679
Original post by Protoxylic
So what paper are we all planning to start first in the actual exam? I'm planning to start the option topic paper first; turning points for me.

Nice! Id say start with your most confident unit. I might start with the core PHYA5 content.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending