The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Grant2007
Seek help from your mentor for all the lessons, she should be able to liaise with the HOD to find out what you need support with. Is this tour final placement? I would expect you to be quite independent by now so if you need help they should be there for you..

Posted from TSR Mobile

hi yes it is my final placement - I know I SHOULD be independent but since all my classes are shared between the teachers and I don't teach any KS4 classes for all of their timetable I'm dependent on getting the info from the teachers as to how far they have got and what needs to be done next - this sometimes (often) only happens the day before and it's still taking ages for me to plan and make materials....

I jsut feel so useless and as if this has been a huge waste of time and money - i just figure i may as well stick it out and fail - at least I won't have to put 'I gave up' on my CV...
Original post by Saint71
hi yes it is my final placement - I know I SHOULD be independent but since all my classes are shared between the teachers and I don't teach any KS4 classes for all of their timetable I'm dependent on getting the info from the teachers as to how far they have got and what needs to be done next - this sometimes (often) only happens the day before and it's still taking ages for me to plan and make materials....

I jsut feel so useless and as if this has been a huge waste of time and money - i just figure i may as well stick it out and fail - at least I won't have to put 'I gave up' on my CV...

What do you teach?
The best bit of advice I got from my first mentor during my PGCE was to not make my own resources all of the time as I would not have time to do it in my NQT year for every lesson. He actually threatened not to sign me off for the next placement (I think he was joking...).

When I got into my NQT year (last year) there definitely was not enough time to make the powerpoints, worksheets, answer sheets etc and I also found that the stuff I used in my PGCE didn't end up being suitable the next year (I look back now and I find that I think WTF was I thinking?! haha)
I then got into my NQT+1 year and oh my god is that harder! There's less PPA time, there is more marking as you have a heavier class load and it if wasn't for the fact I had become comfortable with using other people's resources I would have gone absolutely crazy!

I don't mean to scare you.... I just want to let you know (and encourage you) that it is ok to use resources from other places. Being a maths teacher this might make it easier for me. But TES is a fantastic place for resources, as are many other sites.

Also I found that as my teaching progresses I'm quicker at making the powerpoints with the information I need but the thing that takes me ages is having the animations as perfect as I want. I've learnt that to accept that "appear" and "on click" will just have to do until I have enough time/can be bothered to come back to it... Especially if it's the first time I've taught that topic as I may never end up using that particular slide again.
Don't give up. Class sharing is really hard as you really do depend on them passing on information. It is so much easier when it is all your own class, I promise. Don't make everything yourself, use resources they already have, especially if you get short notice. Good luck.

Scottish training is very different to English. In Scotland you would be on full responsibility with no sharing, much easier to plan for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
I've seen a support job that sounds pretty good. Pay isn't amazing but it's workable for the first year or so. I want to apply, but at the same time I am worried that once I go down the support route then I won't be able to turn back to teaching. If I do supply, I would have been getting constant teaching experience, but if I do this support role then I won't have any teaching exp for the year.

I know I have had my doubts about teaching but I don't know if I'm ready to jump ship yet. Yet the support role is exactly what I'd want to do in a support job. Gah, I don't know.

It might be worth speaking to your HOD/someone in the SMT in your school and asking them whether or not they'd consider applications for a job from someone who had completed a PGCE but then worked in a school support role for a year?
I've seen a support job that sounds pretty good. Pay isn't amazing but it's workable for the first year or so. I want to apply, but at the same time I am worried that once I go down the support route then I won't be able to turn back to teaching. If I do supply, I would have been getting constant teaching experience, but if I do this support role then I won't have any teaching exp for the year.

I know I have had my doubts about teaching but I don't know if I'm ready to jump ship yet. Yet the support role is exactly what I'd want to do in a support job. Gah, I don't know.

I would say go for it if it's something you think you'll like. You could easily explain a year in a support role... You just didn't find a position that was just right for you this year. Plenty of trainees don't start NQT for a year or so.

Having said that what could be more of a barrier is the worry/stress if it. If it was me having doubts like yours and I went in to the support position I feel like I'd perhaps be too nervous to apply for a teaching position afterwards when I was already 'comfortable'.

I can imagine it's really hard to decide, especially since you had a negative first placement experience so are slightly behind on the positive feelings, only recently starting to see how you've developed so much etc. But no harm can come from applying and it will give you more experience/info about the support area, as well as giving you thinking time.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6145
Guys I have an interview tomorrow the school is literally 5 mins away from me, I have been preparing for it all weekend but I'm so nervous to an extent that I want to make an excuse not to go last minute :frown:
Hi all, does anyone have children here? I have a three year old about to embark on a Primary PGCE. It would be nice to hear from any current PGCE students juggling children!! Thanks x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sam89
Guys I have an interview tomorrow the school is literally 5 mins away from me, I have been preparing for it all weekend but I'm so nervous to an extent that I want to make an excuse not to go last minute :frown:

Good luck. If it helps lots of people feel that way with interviews, you'll be fine :smile: let us know how you get on.
Just had to call in sick to school today. Hardly slept last night for being ill and tummy being really unhappy, feel so bad when im hardly in this week because of bank holiday, university and an interview but not in a state to be anything but the biggest cow in the universe if i was teaching today :frown:
Feeling a bit rough today. Just a little like I've stalled and I need to pick myself up again. Working too hard and ignoring uni work too and my tutor is in in two weeks time for my final uni observation and my folders are looking a bit... empty.
Reply 6150
Original post by alabelle
Good luck. If it helps lots of people feel that way with interviews, you'll be fine :smile: let us know how you get on.

Thank you I really regret going to the interview now.. I spent most of my weekend and all of last night planning my lesson and giving it everything. I got in and my nerves got the better of me, stuttered a lot - all over the place.

They didn't take me past the interview stage and I really did feel like crying and angry at the same time because I tried so hard for this. My pace was slow I agree - he said something like you need to move on because we did that 5 years ago which was kind of harsh and a tad rude.. And then said but you'll make a good teacher I'm sure and was like thanks for your half empty compliment.

I didn't know I could feel this down trodden after an interview sat her in my car for literally the past hour just staring into thin space.. Wondering if this is the right career for me..
Original post by Sam89
Thank you I really regret going to the interview now.. I spent most of my weekend and all of last night planning my lesson and giving it everything. I got in and my nerves got the better of me, stuttered a lot - all over the place.

They didn't take me past the interview stage and I really did feel like crying and angry at the same time because I tried so hard for this. My pace was slow I agree - he said something like you need to move on because we did that 5 years ago which was kind of harsh and a tad rude.. And then said but you'll make a good teacher I'm sure and was like thanks for your half empty compliment.

I didn't know I could feel this down trodden after an interview sat her in my car for literally the past hour just staring into thin space.. Wondering if this is the right career for me..

Oh I'm so sorry to hear you feel this way. PLEASE don't let it put you off going to more interviews. I know that it can scar you, but you built on these things and pick yourself back up. I was majorly nervous for my interview. My hands were shaking when I was giving out my resources. I think most people feel that way.

What did he mean by you need to move on because we did that 5 years ago? He meant your lesson was outdated or something? If that's what he meant then that's certainly a rude way to put it, BUT it is helpful feedback for the future if it's true.

We all have doubts about this career. I know that for sure! If you were having doubts anyway then that's fine, but if they have only appeared because of this interview then they are not real doubts. You are just feeling low in confidence. My friend who is an NQT now had nine interviews before she got her job. I don't know how she managed because like you, I feel pretty hopeless after one! You just need to keep going. If you are lacking in confidence then it won't be the worst thing in the world if you do supply for a bit in September because I've heard it's excellent for confidence and experience.

Keep going. Talk to your mentor about it. Mine made me feel a lot better. :hugs:

Original post by ParadoxSocks
Feeling a bit rough today. Just a little like I've stalled and I need to pick myself up again. Working too hard and ignoring uni work too and my tutor is in in two weeks time for my final uni observation and my folders are looking a bit... empty.

I feel the same! I feel I reached a peak and now I'm going backwards a bit. Like I've lost sight of my targets a bit and am just trying to get through. I think it's normal though...? :lol:
Original post by Ratchit99
Just had to call in sick to school today. Hardly slept last night for being ill and tummy being really unhappy, feel so bad when im hardly in this week because of bank holiday, university and an interview but not in a state to be anything but the biggest cow in the universe if i was teaching today :frown:

We all get sick, don't worry too much about it. I've had a stupid amount of days off and I feel even more sick with guilt when I have to ring in!

Original post by kpwxx
I would say go for it if it's something you think you'll like. You could easily explain a year in a support role... You just didn't find a position that was just right for you this year. Plenty of trainees don't start NQT for a year or so.

Having said that what could be more of a barrier is the worry/stress if it. If it was me having doubts like yours and I went in to the support position I feel like I'd perhaps be too nervous to apply for a teaching position afterwards when I was already 'comfortable'.

I can imagine it's really hard to decide, especially since you had a negative first placement experience so are slightly behind on the positive feelings, only recently starting to see how you've developed so much etc. But no harm can come from applying and it will give you more experience/info about the support area, as well as giving you thinking time.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice. There is two jobs at this college. One is the support job, the other is a teaching role. I have applied for the teaching role today, so obviously I am not so optimistic about getting the support role afterwards because applying for two jobs at the same place is never a good thing. It is a really hard decision though so I'm just taking it as it comes. I keep telling myself there is always supply for a bit if I don't get anything.

But yes, the comfort aspect is a little worrying and I do think I would end up sticking in support. Not like that would massively bother me, I guess the pay would be at the back of my mind though...
Hi guys,

I'm starting my PGCE primary at Chester in September and I've just been sent a precourse reading list with 19 books on!

I've ordered one from each category and Im just wondering whether this will be enough for now?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by Sam89

Sorry to hear this :frown: that interviewer sounds so rude, there is no need to speak to you like that. Take some time for yourself (not easy, I know) and try and put it behind you. There will be other jobs, and they'll be there if you want to keep applying.
Original post by mammamia:0
Hi guys,

I'm starting my PGCE primary at Chester in September and I've just been sent a precourse reading list with 19 books on!

I've ordered one from each category and Im just wondering whether this will be enough for now?

I've got eight weeks to go and I still haven't ordered any of the books on my reading list yet :redface:
Hi guys,

Does anyone know if there is a deadline for applying for a PGCE (sept 2015 start)? I've been looking around but I haven't really found any information about when I have to send the application in by.
Original post by kpwxx
Lots of schools organise set pre visits after school hours which can be useful if they're within around half an hour of your placement, or they might let you visit then anyway. Obviously not ideal as there aren't children there, but you sometimes see after school clubs and can still get a good feel for what's important to them. You also get to see the school lots on interview day so you can reinforce the visit and if you change your mind just say so and leave.

Other than that, I arranged all my visits in my PPA time. Again not perfect but at least you won't miss teaching hours!

Also, I empathise with the feeling, it is very overwhelming and often feels easier to just put it off. So don't feel bad about that. You made the choice before because it felt right for you. That's all you can do. But the more you apply the less scary it gets... You already have a good PS/application since you got an interview, so that's one big step passed!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. The whole visiting schools during PPA sounds ideal especially if I try and squeeze it towards the end of the day. I do think the way the headteachers show you around the school does have an impact on the level of comfort and everything.

Just curious with regards to the application process. Have most people started completely from scratch when writing new applications to different schools? I understand the need to personalise however it does seem like some examples would be relevant in both applications.
Reply 6157
Oh I'm so sorry to hear you feel this way. PLEASE don't let it put you off going to more interviews. I know that it can scar you, but you built on these things and pick yourself back up. I was majorly nervous for my interview. My hands were shaking when I was giving out my resources. I think most people feel that way.

What did he mean by you need to move on because we did that 5 years ago? He meant your lesson was outdated or something? If that's what he meant then that's certainly a rude way to put it, BUT it is helpful feedback for the future if it's true.

We all have doubts about this career. I know that for sure! If you were having doubts anyway then that's fine, but if they have only appeared because of this interview then they are not real doubts. You are just feeling low in confidence. My friend who is an NQT now had nine interviews before she got her job. I don't know how she managed because like you, I feel pretty hopeless after one! You just need to keep going. If you are lacking in confidence then it won't be the worst thing in the world if you do supply for a bit in September because I've heard it's excellent for confidence and experience.

Keep going. Talk to your mentor about it. Mine made me feel a lot better. :hugs:

Thank you! x

I know I was giving you similar advise days before but I didn't like the swift change in manners at the beginning he was very nice and pleasant at the end wanted me out and was like see yourself out please as if to say you wasted our time get out.

Is there such a thing as overpreparing? I planned so much for this then got nervous began stuttering etc..

Everything happens for a reason though I have had a good cry lol

Original post by alabelle
Sorry to hear this :frown: that interviewer sounds so rude, there is no need to speak to you like that. Take some time for yourself (not easy, I know) and try and put it behind you. There will be other jobs, and they'll be there if you want to keep applying.

Thank you! x

I know.. my current school make their kids do the so called 'outdated; stuff he said, I didn't do that in my first placement, but then picked it up from second one.. it's quite unpredictable really.

My mentor will just say 'oh well' and the HOD will secretly be happy and make a judgement on me as she already has done, she thinks if people are not 'snapped up' quickly there's a reason for it.. hah.
Original post by kwhite7
Hi all, does anyone have children here? I have a three year old about to embark on a Primary PGCE. It would be nice to hear from any current PGCE students juggling children!! Thanks x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep I have a three year old too. Just coming to the end of my PGCE (on the SDS route)...I'm exhausted to say the least! Feel free to DM me any questions you might have :smile:
Original post by Sam89

Hugs!

I hate applying for jobs!! And the teaching part of interviews I always just found horrible (apart from the one where I got the job where I actually had to interact with the children leading their play, which is the majority of an Early Years teachers job, then I was so much more comfortable!). I think all schools would be better to just get teachers to read a story or interact with the children during free time or similar, so they can see how they really move on learning, rather than lead a whole class/group of children they've never met and know nothing about... it's very high pressure and I'm sure many brilliant teachers have nerves get to them like you did.

I wouldn't say you can over prepare as such but if you feel like preparing is making you too nervous/stressed, take a break and just do something completely different. This will help stop you getting worked up. And remind yourself, like airfairy said, this is just one job, one option, it's not the be all and end all!

Good luck.

Original post by mammamia:0
Hi guys,

Yes that'll be fine! Just read books that seem interesting to you. I'd also take the time to immerse yourself in kid's culture/lives etc rather than worrying about specifics of education (since they will go over all that on the course anyway). So things like visiting museums and other places kids might visit, reading lots of children's books and books/TV shows/films etc about children's lives. Things like Anita and Me, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, documentaries in schools (secret life of four-year-olds on 4OD is good, also Etre et Avoir (To Be and To Have) with English subs). Even watching kids TV and film and looking in to kids websites of the moment. Most of those things will be free, maybe in your local library.

You don't get much time on the course to really connect with that sort of thing, and it's also fun and relaxing since you will be very busy once you start!

Original post by Tombola
Thanks. The whole visiting schools during PPA sounds ideal especially if I try and squeeze it towards the end of the day. I do think the way the headteachers show you around the school does have an impact on the level of comfort and everything.

Just curious with regards to the application process. Have most people started completely from scratch when writing new applications to different schools? I understand the need to personalise however it does seem like some examples would be relevant in both applications.

I started from scratch until I got an interview, then tried to keep it similar.

However, how I did it was to try and keep the balance of what I discussed/links to the school/intro and conclusion quite similar but still wrote a list of everything from the person spec or job ad for that specific job and went through highlighting the bits that related to any of the points. If I didn't have something they'd specifically asked for, the non-highlighted bits would be the first to go.

xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending