6th May: Mental Health - advice, worries or tips

Watch
BBC Radio 1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
On this week's Surgery we're talking about all things mental health with Dr Radha and Dr Aaron. If you have any issues, worries, or stories about mental health that you want to share, please post them here. Or if you've got some hints or tips about ways you keep your mind happy, we'd love to hear them!

As always, if you want to appear on the show, please post in the forum and tell us, and one of the team will get back to you!
alexyyyy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BBC Radio 1)
On this week's Surgery we're talking about all things mental health with Dr Radha and Dr Aaron. If you have any issues, worries, or stories about mental health that you want to share, please post them here. Or if you've got some hints or tips about ways you keep your mind happy, we'd love to hear them!

As always, if you want to appear on the show, please post in the forum and tell us, and one of the team will get back to you!
I have lots of issues, worries and stories. What particularly are you interested in? I have some good knowledge about the difference between public and private mental health services and about how it is hard to diagnose mental health issues and labels.

Would be more than willing to talk about it with you.
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Studies suggest campaigning for the awareness of mental health may actually make the stigma worse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5caitdQA6HY
http://www.criticalpsychiatry.net/ca...nd-dsm-capsid/
They propose the abolishment of diagnoses for mental health, and a reinforcement on treating "mental patients" based on circumstance.
BBC Radio 1
Rep:
?
(Original post by alexyyyy)
I have lots of issues, worries and stories. What particularly are you interested in? I have some good knowledge about the difference between public and private mental health services and about how it is hard to diagnose mental health issues and labels.

Would be more than willing to talk about it with you.
Hi!

Thanks for your message! We'd love to talk to you more about your experiences. Do you want to send me a PM with your number and I'll give you a call?

Thanks,

Ami @ The Surgery x
Sycamores
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sadly mental health in this day and age is hard to talk about as really if your mental health is less than perfect then you're immediately discriminated against and also stereotyped.

This is because of teenagers. Most teenagers have given mental health a bad name as they use it as a way of getting attention. I'm not saying all teenagers do this as their are many teenagers out there suffering from depression, anxiety etc.. but many teenagers use terms like depression as a joke and a way of being different or noticed. Yes, it's a sick way to look at it but it really does happen.

There's also a problem with the fact that many people think mental health is linked to you being quite literally 'Mental'. When in fact this isn't the case.

Mental health can be used to describe a number of illnesses, conditions or even a way a person may be feeling. As your mental health can be sad, happy or any number of emotions and can change quite swiftly, or slowly.

I mentioned depression and anxiety earlier. Well, these are just scratching the surface of mental health as these can all hold root in a problem or many problems such as you're being bullied at school or work, or you feel self-conscious because you're putting on weight, or simply you are struggling with a personal issue, this can also lead to more problems such as your depression could lead to you no longer wishing to eat, or eating too much, much the same as anxiety can also do.
These both can also lead to you looking for an out or a way to express the pain you're feeling, this can often result in self harm or destructive behavior.

Mental Health problems are hard to treat as you often need to find the route of the problem to then treat the symptoms.

I'd love to talk about my experiences with mental health as I, myself have been a victim of depression, and anxiety. So feel free to reply if you'd like to contact me.
BBC Radio 1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sycamores)
Sadly mental health in this day and age is hard to talk about as really if your mental health is less than perfect then you're immediately discriminated against and also stereotyped.

This is because of teenagers. Most teenagers have given mental health a bad name as they use it as a way of getting attention. I'm not saying all teenagers do this as their are many teenagers out there suffering from depression, anxiety etc.. but many teenagers use terms like depression as a joke and a way of being different or noticed. Yes, it's a sick way to look at it but it really does happen.

There's also a problem with the fact that many people think mental health is linked to you being quite literally 'Mental'. When in fact this isn't the case.

Mental health can be used to describe a number of illnesses, conditions or even a way a person may be feeling. As your mental health can be sad, happy or any number of emotions and can change quite swiftly, or slowly.

I mentioned depression and anxiety earlier. Well, these are just scratching the surface of mental health as these can all hold root in a problem or many problems such as you're being bullied at school or work, or you feel self-conscious because you're putting on weight, or simply you are struggling with a personal issue, this can also lead to more problems such as your depression could lead to you no longer wishing to eat, or eating too much, much the same as anxiety can also do.
These both can also lead to you looking for an out or a way to express the pain you're feeling, this can often result in self harm or destructive behavior.

Mental Health problems are hard to treat as you often need to find the route of the problem to then treat the symptoms.

I'd love to talk about my experiences with mental health as I, myself have been a victim of depression, and anxiety. So feel free to reply if you'd like to contact me.
Hi!

Thanks so much for your response! We would love to talk to you more about your experiences. Do you want to drop us a PM with your number and I'll give you a call back to chat more?

Thanks,

Ami @ The Surgery x
holliemartin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My best friend suffered severely from an eating disorder this time last year, I was the person that had to speak out and tell someone. However, I left it a while to discuss as I had mental breakdowns just thinking about it but when I spoke to someone she got treated and no one realised what I went through. Now a year on and studying for A levels, the breakdowns have come back and I have had five in the past week. I went to see the GP around christmas time but it didnt help. I just take a breathe and move on.
iloveteddy14
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I hate how some people like my parents believe that mh is related to just related to specific situation I.e being unemployed, well I see it as something I live with and it's completely separate from my situation. Being unemployed has no bearing on depression, I could be working and still have depression.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.33%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (14)
15.56%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (17)
18.89%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (10)
11.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (30)
33.33%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
17.78%

Watched Threads