The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Toy Soldiers
Wrong thread, buddy.

Oops, sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
guys i was doing a 12 marker on effects of day care on social development eg aggression etc (jun 2012)

for ao1 i outlined the effects of the NICHD AND EPPE studies about longer duration in day care leads to aggression, anti social behaviour etc .

for ao2 i talked about the limitations of the nichd study such as:
dingfelder found results dont show that day care duration causes aggression and a correlation doesn't mean a causation as correlational analysis was used
sarah friedman found 83% werent rated aggressive despite spending 10-30 hours in day care per week

i also evaluated further about the positive effects on peer relations found by field and Clarke Stewart. i used these two studies as further evaluation to go against the negative effects of day care found by the EPPE AND NICHD studies. is that fine can i do that?? because the mark scheme has stated them as ao1. but i thought you can use other studies as evaluation??
also out of 12 how much do you think i would get??

thanks guys
Reply 262
what points can i write for evaluating research for childcare practices on day care and attachment, elaborate on your points please as i need to learn them.
Original post by saran12
guys i was doing a 12 marker on effects of day care on social development eg aggression etc (jun 2012)

for ao1 i outlined the effects of the NICHD AND EPPE studies about longer duration in day care leads to aggression, anti social behaviour etc .

for ao2 i talked about the limitations of the nichd study such as:
dingfelder found results dont show that day care duration causes aggression and a correlation doesn't mean a causation as correlational analysis was used
sarah friedman found 83% werent rated aggressive despite spending 10-30 hours in day care per week

i also evaluated further about the positive effects on peer relations found by field and Clarke Stewart. i used these two studies as further evaluation to go against the negative effects of day care found by the EPPE AND NICHD studies. is that fine can i do that?? because the mark scheme has stated them as ao1. but i thought you can use other studies as evaluation??
also out of 12 how much do you think i would get??

thanks guys

Yes, you can use other studies to prove or disprove your AO1 but you don't need to go into much detail about the studies you use for AO2 - just state the findings and how they prove or disprove your AO1.

Also, for AO2, criticise the studies used for AO1 by their experimental method. Was it a laboratory study or natural observation? What are the influence of the type of study on the result? Were the participants of similar age or background? What is the implication of this on the results? For example, NICHD did two studies that gave complete opposite results. One study showed that aggression increased with longer hours in day care - measured by mothers and another study showed the opposite - measured by teachers and carers. Use this as an example of how subjective it is to measure levels of aggression. Also, evaluate the use of self-reporting techniques and how this can influence the results of the study.

I think you have a great basis so far and you have the right idea of using other studies to back up findings! I'd say, though I haven't seen your 12 mark essay so it is hard to say without seeing how you evaluate things, so I am just relying on the content here, that it would be about 10/11 marks. The final 1 or 2 marks would come from criticising the AO1, both strengths and weaknesses, when it comes down to experimental method. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alpopcuino
Once I've done detailed notes on literally everything what should be the next step in my revision. I started revising with plenty of time to spare so thats a good thing I guess but I kind of feel like im finished even though I know if I do nothing that I will forget it by next week so any tips for further revision of the content

Do all the past papers and create model 12 mark answers. Questions tend to repeat themselves over the years, so becoming accustomed to the questions that have previously been asked and the mark schemes will put you in a good position when it comes to the exam.

By creating model 12 mark answers, you have the basis to answer any question that comes up on the subject. A 6 marker can either be just your AO1 section (outline research/model/theory) or your AO2 section (evaluate research/model/theory) or an 8 marker would be your 12 marker in slightly less detail. A 4 marker could be a 6 marker is slightly less detail etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by K3lvin
what points can i write for evaluating research for childcare practices on day care and attachment, elaborate on your points please as i need to learn them.

When evaluating research, there are two ways you can go about it. The first way is to find other research that either supports or disproves the research that you are evaluating.
The second is criticising the experimental method, using your knowledge of the procedure of the study and the content you've learned in the research methods module.

If you are talking about aggression/peer relations, you are better off learning two studies for and two studies against both day care on aggression or peer relations.

It is very unlikely you will have to evaluate research for how research has influenced childcare practices. Just memories two or three studies with what they found and then how they used these findings to better childcare. Though, I've only found that you have to memorise the components of high-quality day care, e.g. Low staff:children ratio, low staff turnover, mixed-age groups, structured time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GelukkigChloe
Yes, you can use other studies to prove or disprove your AO1 but you don't need to go into much detail about the studies you use for AO2 - just state the findings and how they prove or disprove your AO1.

Also, for AO2, criticise the studies used for AO1 by their experimental method. Was it a laboratory study or natural observation? What are the influence of the type of study on the result? Were the participants of similar age or background? What is the implication of this on the results? For example, NICHD did two studies that gave complete opposite results. One study showed that aggression increased with longer hours in day care - measured by mothers and another study showed the opposite - measured by teachers and carers. Use this as an example of how subjective it is to measure levels of aggression. Also, evaluate the use of self-reporting techniques and how this can influence the results of the study.

I think you have a great basis so far and you have the right idea of using other studies to back up findings! I'd say, though I haven't seen your 12 mark essay so it is hard to say without seeing how you evaluate things, so I am just relying on the content here, that it would be about 10/11 marks. The final 1 or 2 marks would come from criticising the AO1, both strengths and weaknesses, when it comes down to experimental method. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much :smile: I think I do need to add ao2 experimental methods, for more marks like you said.

But do you think using field and Clarke Stewart specifically for aO2 is appropriate, as they found positive effects of day care going against the negative effects found by EPPE and NICHD.
Original post by saran12
Thank you so much :smile: I think I do need to add ao2 experimental methods, for more marks like you said.

But do you think using field and Clarke Stewart specifically for aO2 is appropriate, as they found positive effects of day care going against the negative effects found by EPPE and NICHD.

I think it should be okay :smile: your AO1 point is 'day care has a negative effect as shown by these studies' and your AO2 is criticising that, so adding contradictory studies would count. It is saying that there is contradictory evidence to the claim made by your AO1 studies so there may be more extraneous variables that affect aggression more than day care :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by saran12

Though it is definitely okay to do so, it is a depth/breadth trade off. By including both peer relations and aggression in your answer, you don't have to go into much detail with the studies. I personally would stick to either aggression or peer relations as it may be hard to write the answer in a way that it is clear which factor you are talking about

Posted from TSR Mobile
TSR actually has some really useful Psychology resources for this spec - lots of cards, quizzes and mindmaps - try this search result:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/resources?q=AS+Psychology&level_id[0]=as&subject_id[0]=psychology&board_id[0]=aqa&sort=rating&sort_dir=desc
Original post by GelukkigChloe
Though it is definitely okay to do so, it is a depth/breadth trade off. By including both peer relations and aggression in your answer, you don't have to go into much detail with the studies. I personally would stick to either aggression or peer relations as it may be hard to write the answer in a way that it is clear which factor you are talking about

Posted from TSR Mobile

so you suggest talking about aggression and peer relations in ao1? cause i did talk about both. in ao1 i did aggression but i just used peer relation studies as ao2 to go against my ao1 ideas.
Reply 271
How do you guys revise? :sad:
What are the effects of institutional care?
Reply 273
Original post by Dinaa
How do you guys revise? :sad:

I've been making flash cards for each topic but kind of left it a little late , doing as many exam questions as possible and making planned answers for 12 markers can be useful !
Do people only conform due to normative and informational social influences?
Original post by studentwiz
Do people only conform due to normative and informational social influences?

Yes. The desire to be liked and accepted (normative) or the desire to be correct (informational) are the explanations of why people conform.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SunDun111

Institutional care refers to those who fail to form attachments, also known as privation.

The main studies to note are (Hodges and Tizard) and (Rutter). You can also include case studies such as Genie and the Czech twins (Andrei and Vanya)

Hodges and Tizard followed a group of 65 children from early life to adolescence (longitudinal). The children had been placed in one institution when they were less than four months old. At this age they had not formed attachments and there was an explicit policy preventing the caretakers from forming attachments.

They basically assessed the children until the age of 16. Some were still in the institution, most were adopted or restored to their original families (these two groups are ex-institutional).

They found that the restored children were less likely to have formed attachments (probably because they were not wanted in the original families in the first place i.e. they were institutionalised and thus wont shown much love when they were restored so didn't have a chance to form an attachment). The adopted children were as closely attached to their parents as a control group of 'normal' children.

Both groups of ex-institutional children had problems with peers and were less likely to be liked by other children. They were more quarrelsome and more likely to be bullies and also showed disinhibited attachment (which is where children treat strangers with inappropriate familiarity and may be attention-seeking)

Rutter studied a group of 100 Romanian orphans and assessed them at 4, 6 and 11 years old. Many Romanian orphans adopted after 6 months showed disinhibited attachments and had problems with peers.

Genie was locked in a room by her father until she was 13/14 because he thought she was retarded. When she was found, she couldn't stand/speak. She never fully recovered socially and showed a disinterest in people.

The Czech twins spent the first 7 years of their lives locked up by a stepmother. They were not able to talk when they were first discovered. However after discovery they were cared for by two loving sisters and by the age of 14 had near normal intellectual and social functioning. By the age of 20, they were above average intelligence and had excellent relationships. This suggests it is possible to recover, however they did have each other and therefore may have formed attachments to one another.

These studies suggest that when children do not form attachments (privation), then the consequences are likely to be severe - consequences include: disinhibited attachment, intellectual underfunctioning and physical underdevelopment.
Original post by SunDun111

Disinhibited Attachment- as found by Rutter (if adopted after 6 months) and also Hodges and Tizard.
Problems with peer relationships- Hodges and Tizard.
Original post by Romanoff
Yes. The desire to be liked and accepted (normative) or the desire to be correct (informational) are the explanations of why people conform.

And referent social influence

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fudgeboy989
And referent social influence

Yes, that is the name of the topic

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending