The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LEuphoria
Hi everyone! I'm 14 and currently in Year 9. I've been lurking around TSR for a while now, but I finally feel like I should post something, since this does apply to me, haha.

I'm choosing History, French, Religious Studies and Triple Science for my options at GCSE, along with my school's compulsory subjects which are English Lang + Lit, Maths, Personal Development, PE(not looking forward to that one D: ) and Core Science. I'd like to do Further Maths, too, although I don't yet know whether my school offer this. I would really like to study Law one day, possibly at Cambridge, and I'm hoping my options will allow me to do so in the future. I'm unsure as to what PE course I'm going to be doing right now, as our school offers multiple courses, and they decide whether we do BTEC or GCSE, and even then, I'm not clear on the differences!

If anyone has any advice or anything on what I'm doing at GCSE, I would love to hear it! c:

Alongside school, I love horse riding, art, reading and running. ^^

I love horse-riding, reading and Art too, but not running! :smile:

Spoiler

Hi :wavey: I just want you all to know that I've updated the first post (OP) again. I've added to the quotes, colour and to the "Meet the Y9s". :smile:

I've also added my own advice to you all for starting GCSEs/Year 10 because I know some of you guys have been requesting that :yep: In the "Useful Links" section you can find more advice from other people as well as a great article explaining the changes to GCSEs next year if you don't already know about it :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Black Rose

Spoiler

Hi :wavey: I just want you all to know that I've updated the first post (OP) again. I've added to the quotes, colour and to the "Meet the Y9s". :smile:

I've also added my own advice to you all for starting GCSEs/Year 10 because I know some of you guys have been requesting that :yep: In the "Useful Links" section you can find more advice from other people as well as a great article explaining the changes to GCSEs next year if you don't already know about it :h:

Nicee.. :hugs:
Original post by Midnightmemories
Nicee.. :hugs:

Original post by Black Rose

How are you? :hugs:
usycool1
xx

The year 9 thread has been a bit neglected recently, fancy having our chats in here today? :colone: . (Though I have a 'monitoring point' to attend on campus, so will be unavailable between 1pm and 5pm :tongue: )
Original post by Nirgilis
The year 9 thread has been a bit neglected recently, fancy having our chats in here today? :colone: . (Though I have a 'monitoring point' to attend on campus, so will be unavailable between 1pm and 5pm :tongue: )

Let's do it :colone: We've never talked here either so I doubt anyone knows us. :beard:

What's a monitoring point? :colondollar:
Original post by usycool1
Let's do it :colone: We've never talked here either so I doubt anyone knows us. :beard:

What's a monitoring point? :colondollar:

Basically, the University is required to register our attendance at University 4 or 5 times a term. It's like afternoon registration at school - it's just to check we're okay and still part of the University (as if we're absent for a term or something, the University is very good in checking up on us to make sure we're okay, need any help, have just fallen ill or something) :yep: . It was enforced last year due to visa problems for international students. It stops international students 'registering' with the University in order to get into the UK, then going and finding a job or work instead of attending, which is illegal :yep:
Basically, the University is required to register our attendance at University 4 or 5 times a term. It's like afternoon registration at school - it's just to check we're okay and still part of the University (as if we're absent for a term or something, the University is very good in checking up on us to make sure we're okay, need any help, have just fallen ill or something) :yep: . It was enforced last year due to visa problems for international students. It stops international students 'registering' with the University in order to get into the UK, then going and finding a job or work instead of attending, which is illegal :yep:

Oh right, that makes sense :ahee: Is it something happening at all UK uni's then or just where you are? :holmes:
Oh right, that makes sense :ahee: Is it something happening at all UK uni's then or just where you are? :holmes:

Well, all Unis are required to do it I think :curious: . There was a situation a couple of years ago when the police rescinded the visa rights of a London University because it was found to be being abused. There was an outcry as it damaged legitimate students as well as the fraudulent ones and I think this came about because of it :tongue:
Wow. Soon there will be a year 5 thread :redface:.

GAAAA-HAHAHAAAAAAA-RAAAGAAAAAHAAARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa-

:unimpressed:
Well, all Unis are required to do it I think :curious: . There was a situation a couple of years ago when the police rescinded the visa rights of a London University because it was found to be being abused. There was an outcry as it damaged legitimate students as well as the fraudulent ones and I think this came about because of it :tongue:

Oh wow! :zomg: How come it's about 4 hours then, the whole event? :holmes:

GAAAA-HAHAHAAAAAAA-RAAAGAAAAAHAAARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa-

:unimpressed:

Heeeeey, what's up? :tongue:

Have some hugs :hugs:
Oh wow! :zomg: How come it's about 4 hours then, the whole event? :holmes:

Naah. The actual monitoring point is an hour's meeting. But it takes time to travel on to campus and back, plus I needed to go shopping and have some dinner :lol:

Heeeeey, what's up? :tongue:

Have some hugs :hugs:

Just needed to release the pent-up keyboard warrior-ness in me before someone got verbally hurt :tongue: . I feel much better now :wink:
Naah. The actual monitoring point is an hour's meeting. But it takes time to travel on to campus and back, plus I needed to go shopping and have some dinner :lol:

That makes sense :lol: Hope it all went smoothly and everything. :awesome:

Just needed to release the pent-up keyboard warrior-ness in me before someone got verbally hurt :tongue: . I feel much better now :wink:

I see :rofl: Glad it helped though. :colone: I'll get involved in the discussion properly on the thread soon if that's what you're referring to. :wink:
they start so young...
That makes sense :lol: Hope it all went smoothly and everything. :awesome:

I see :rofl: Glad it helped though. :colone: I'll get involved in the discussion properly on the thread soon if that's what you're referring to. :wink:

How's everything going with you today? :smile:

Also, I haven't asked you today - how's the dissertation going?! :awesome:

I had to re-do my table of contents this morning :colonhash: . For such a small part of the document, it's one that causes so much pain and heart ache :lol: . But it's going okay :yep: . Just turning my second draft of introduction into a flowing story now though :wink:

Original post by guitaristemily
they start so young...

What do you mean? :tongue: .

What do you mean? :tongue: .

i mean that the threads are getting younger and younger. as in the poeple in them...

im in year 11.
Original post by guitaristemily
i mean that the threads are getting younger and younger. as in the poeple in them...

im in year 11.

Pfft. I'm in my fourth year of uni :tongue: . Just because the threads are getting younger, doesn't mean the people are :wink:
How's everything going with you today? :smile:

I'm pretty good today, thanks, much better than I was yesterday :lol: Still a bit annoyed about the stuff that's going down that we've been talking about on the other thread today and yesterday but we'll all get through it I think. :tongue: How're you? :awesome:

I had to re-do my table of contents this morning :colonhash: . For such a small part of the document, it's one that causes so much pain and heart ache :lol: . But it's going okay :yep: . Just turning my second draft of introduction into a flowing story now though :wink:

Ah damn! :colonhash: Do you have to go through the whole dissertation then, find the titles and add them one by one? Haha, good, I bet it'll be amazing. :wink:

Latest