The Student Room Group

Getting into Computer Science at Cambridge with these grades?

I am currently taking my GCSEs and I am confident that I will end up with good grades - mainly As/A*s but there's a problem. It is compulsory for every student in our year group to take BTEC ICT and I have came out with a Pass grade (aka a C grade). This means I am not allowed to take a Computing or Computer Science course at A Level.

However, providing that I do really well in my GCSEs and A Levels, would I still be able to get a Computer Science degree, at lets say Cambridge (or other good Unis) without doing an I.T course at A Level or getting a C for BTEC ICT.

The subjects that I am choosing for A Levels are:
- Maths
- Physics
- Economics
- (Supposed to be Computing but now its going to have to be Geography)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spaceman11
I am currently taking my GCSEs and I am confident that I will end up with good grades - mainly As/A*s but there's a problem. It is compulsory for every student in our year group to take BTEC ICT and I have came out with a Pass grade (aka a C grade). This means I am not allowed to take a Computing or Computer Science course at A Level.

However, providing that I do really well in my GCSEs and A Levels, would I still be able to get a Computer Science degree, at lets say Cambridge (or other good Unis) without doing an I.T course at A Level or getting a C for BTEC ICT.

- Maths
- Physics
- Economics

You need to read up a bit more on what computer science really is; it is not ICT.

It is advisable to take maths and further maths as the best preparation for computer science. Some Cambridge colleges require further maths and a few stipulate STEP as part of an offer.

Choose further maths, not geography.
Reply 2
You don't need Computing, or similar, at A-Level for "top" unis. Maths & Physics are fine.

Cambridge will also like you to have Further Maths if your school offers it. And would not be concerned by your GCSEs.

Also you will need to be getting very high (at least 85 and ideally 95) average UMS across your A-level Maths modules for Cambridge.
Reply 3
Out of curiosity, which would give you a better chance at studying Computer Science at a top Uni

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Economics

or

Maths
Computing
Physics
Economics
Out of curiosity, which would give you a better chance at studying Computer Science at a top Uni

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Economics

or

Maths
Computing
Physics
Economics

Similar but for the very top ones FM is either essential or pretty much essential whereas computing is not a required subject

Posted from TSR Mobile

It isn't just a matter of getting in. A levels are a preparation for the study of your chosen subject. You'd be better prepared with further maths than with computing.

Of course, maths, further maths, computing and physics would be even better. Neither geography nor economics will be of the slightest use.
Original post by Good bloke
and a few stipulate STEP as part of an offer.

Really? I thought this was only the case for M&CS candidates..
Original post by Jooooshy

You may be right. I didn't check. It makes no difference to choosing further maths though.
Original post by Jooooshy

From what I understand M&CS is the only one that requires you to take step. However, in some rare cases where the DoS' aren't 100% confident in a CS applicants mathematical ability I believe that they have occasionally made CS offers with step, but admittedly as far as I'm aware step isn't part of the standard offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Cambridge? Do Further Maths, not Geography, and start looking at working on STEP papers in your free time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by VannR
Cambridge? Do Further Maths, not Geography, and start looking at working on STEP papers in your free time.

Reality check. spaceman11 has just achieved a BTEC pass in ICT. Advising him to work on STEP in his free time might be a little over the top.
Original post by Mr M
Reality check. spaceman11 has just achieved a BTEC pass in ICT. Advising him to work on STEP in his free time might be a little over the top.

Reality check - ICT GCSE/btec doesn't really mean anything and you cannot judge how intelligent the op is or how he will do at as based on that one grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
Reality check - ICT GCSE/btec doesn't really mean anything and you cannot judge how intelligent the op is or how he will do at as based on that one grade.

Yet the OP's school is using this qualification to make academic judgements.
To study BTEC IT in 6th form, you need a pass at the BTEC thing we are currently doing

Computer Science - Merit

Computing - Distinction

- Maths
- Physics
- Economics

Don't worry about the ICT BTEC, others will be in the same situation.There should be no requirements for a computing A-level. But I wouldn't worry about not doing Computing at A-level, some successful applicants don't have it and they just reteach the course pretty much in the first year.

Your GCSEs are fine.

Your A-levels - Maths and Physics, both good choices. Economics/Geography would be a good subject for AS, but you really need Further Maths. The course is extremely mathematical, so mathematical that a guy who got 4A*s including Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing is struggling.
Reply 15
Original post by Mr M

No harm in it, provided that you enjoy doing mathematics problems. It doesn't have to take away from your hobbies/social life, but being 'around' that level of work for a long time before actually sitting the paper will definitely be beneficial.
Original post by VannR
No harm in it, provided that you enjoy doing mathematics problems. It doesn't have to take away from your hobbies/social life, but being 'around' that level of work for a long time before actually sitting the paper will definitely be beneficial.

He hasn't taken GCSE yet. I'm quite sure looking at STEP would be a massive waste of his time and would just unsettle him. he has important revision to do in the coming weeks.
Original post by jamestg
There should be no requirements for a computing A-level.

Not even a minimum grade in GCSE maths?
Reply 18
Original post by Mr M
He hasn't taken GCSE yet. I'm quite sure looking at STEP would be a massive waste of his time and would just unsettle him. he has important revision to do in the coming weeks.

Oh, definitely not until GCSE's are over; revision is much, much more important. I just mean in the two years before A2's and STEP in 2017 :smile:.
Original post by Mr M
Not even a minimum grade in GCSE maths?

I was referring to the need of doing a computing GCSE.

Maths is probably around a B (although to be good, ideally should be an A/A*), although this was never specified in my prospectus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending