The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Kent or Essex (Undergraduate Economics & Politics)

Comments and opinions about the universities :smile:
I don't know which one to pick
For the politics Part Kent for sure, my friends doing economics have never complained but i don't know enough about the economics to comment. I know someone doing eco + pol , she seems to like the programs in general because there is quite a lot of International Relations that links to economics. Then Again Kent does better than essex in both rankings (eco and pol) but i wouldn't judge my choice based on just that
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by phantomdestiny
For the politics Part Kent for sure, my friends doing economics have never complained but i don't know enough about the economics to comment. I know someone doing eco + pol , she seems to like the programs in general because there is quite a lot of International Relations that links to economics. Then Again Kent does better than essex in both rankings (eco and pol) but i wouldn't judge my choice based on just that

Thanks man! I really appreciate it!
No problem, good luck.
Which University do you prefer? Have you visited them both?
Reply 5
I couldn't visit any of them, i'm a non-uk student. I selected essex because they seem to care about each and every applicant and because essex's politics department is it's best
Original post by PaulDiam
I couldn't visit any of them, i'm a non-uk student. I selected essex because they seem to care about each and every applicant and because essex's politics department is it's best

Good choice!
well if you care about Politics more than economics. I would choose Kent over Essex (i'm a politics and International relations student). But where are you from i'm an international student too (EU). And Kent is the University with the most European students in the UK so it's easier when you are an international student in terms of getting settled and making friends. If you happened to use Kent and need help with that i'll be around; first year currently --> 2nd next .
well if you care about Politics more than economics. I would choose Kent over Essex (i'm a politics and International relations student). But where are you from i'm an international student too (EU). And Kent is the University with the most European students in the UK so it's easier when you are an international student in terms of getting settled and making friends. If you happened to use Kent and need help with that i'll be around; first year currently --> 2nd next .

Kent was so **** imo. Good uni but **** everything else
Original post by gulbenkian02
Kent was so **** imo. Good uni but **** everything else

What do you mean?
What do you mean?

In my opinion, and this is personally what I found, I know loads of people there who loved it but:

The lecturers were dull, boring and frankly they didn't give a **** so neither did we.

The seminars were also dull, the leaders just kind of dictated everything to you - twas like a mini seminar.

Other than the fact that Uni has a pretty good reputation (well for Law it's not too bad) there wasn't anything else that made me love it.

Venue is a pile of trash

Everything else in Canterbury is just boring, there's absolutely nothing to do.

Accommodation was dead all the time. There was never anyone out, no noise, it was like a ghost town most of the time.

Maybe I hated it because I'm from a big city and used to the hustle and bustle but I just couldn't deal living in this tiny little quiet place.

Oh and some of the feedback from assignments was RIDICULOUS. It was like 'good' 'no this is wrong' (but then it wouldn't tell you why it's wrong or what's right).

Ugh just a terrible experience. But I know others who've loved it. This is why I always tell people to make sure they've visited and like the place, and know about the area etc.
In terms of academics the politics department is completely different. But the whole the lecturers didn't give a **** so neither did we sounds like a personal problem ( if you lecturer doesn't care you should, i went to check your posts and you were failing so sound like you didn't like your course. That really doesn't help)

--> my flat is always out , actually too much for me i can't even keep out.

For the nightlife it really depends what you are into, but of course can't compare to London.
In terms of academics the politics department is completely different. But the whole the lecturers didn't give a **** so neither did we sounds like a personal problem ( if you lecturer doesn't care you should, i went to check your posts and you were failing so sound like you didn't like your course. That really doesn't help)

--> my flat is always out , actually too much for me i can't even keep out.

For the nightlife it really depends what you are into, but of course can't compare to London.

Haha what? I was failing? No love I wasn't failing :rolleyes:.
The fact that the lecturers could barely be bothered to turn up on time, or at all was hardly my fault. And they just stood and read off a powerpoint as if we were completely incapable of doing that ourselves at home.

The nightlife is **** and I doubt I'm the only one to think that.

Again, I didn't ask for you to criticise me, I clearly said these were my opinions.

I passed my course with a 2:1 in first year and transferred. So tell me I failed again :biggrin:
The fact that the lecturers could barely be bothered to turn up on time, or at all was hardly my fault. And they just stood and read off a powerpoint as if we were completely incapable of doing that ourselves at home.

Again, I didn't ask for you to criticise me, I clearly said these were my opinions.

I passed my course with a 2:1 in first year and transferred. So tell me I failed again :biggrin:

sorry i was reading you reply to someone else --> didn't notice that wasn't you. Sounds like Law had terrible lecturers that year.

If I may ask, and given that I have not missed you mentioning this before, where did you transfer to?
Original post by BenfordG3
If I may ask, and given that I have not missed you mentioning this before, where did you transfer to?

Brunel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending