The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Attachment not found
What does it mean by 3(d) ? Find the ratio AC:CB I have the values of lambda for all of the co-ordinates

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lam12
Attachment not found
What does it mean by 3(d) ? Find the ratio AC:CB I have the values of lambda for all of the co-ordinates

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have all 3 points so find the corresponding lengths for AC and CB and you are done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I need help with this one
I am trying to find equation of normal to a line (question inserted) 2015-05-05 11.21.39.jpgand I have managed to answer it using gradient vector method. Is my method is correct(answer attached)2015-05-05 11.35.01.jpg? Also is it okay to leave line equation in column vector form?

I have tried a 2nd method for the question using dot product but I am blank about how to find an expression for the direction of the perpendicular line. In my attempt I tried to find coordinates of a point on the normal line but that seems the wrong way(working attached)2015-05-05 11.25.22.jpg. Somehow a dot product method seems impossible here to me. Would someone help?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by thebrahmabull

The general method you used is correct, but C is a point on the line through AB, so you can express this as: (3-2t)i+(5+5t)j. You can then follow through with your method, there will be only one unknown and then you can solve for it, and form an equation as usual.
Hope it clears it up!
(In this post I assume we are working with i and j components)
P.S. Are these questions in the C4 Edexcel book - if not, were did you get them from?
(edited 8 years ago)

Gosh this is really strange anyone that can help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you just clarify if the spaces mean that the vectors are equal

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am trying to find equation of normal to a line (question inserted) 2015-05-05 11.21.39.jpgand I have managed to answer it using gradient vector method. Is my method is correct(answer attached)2015-05-05 11.35.01.jpg? Also is it okay to leave line equation in column vector form?

I have tried a 2nd method for the question using dot product but I am blank about how to find an expression for the direction of the perpendicular line. In my attempt I tried to find coordinates of a point on the normal line but that seems the wrong way(working attached)2015-05-05 11.25.22.jpg. Somehow a dot product method seems impossible here to me. Would someone help?

Well for the second question since we are dealing with directions we can compensate for some scalar parameter by setting one of rhe componenets as 1 namely the z component as this is usually the convenience. Now you have two equaltions which shoukd be solvable. I think this is the problem you are encountering, if this is not the case let me know and I will try my best to answer your question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys,

I need some advice- I am at the stage now where I pretty much understand all of c3 and c4 and the only place I lose marks is through silly mistakes eg. Using t=pi/6 instead of pi/4 in the question . It's just that I make a lot of these silly mistakes so I was wondering if anyone had any tips on improving on this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Medicjug
Hey guys,

I need some advice- I am at the stage now where I pretty much understand all of c3 and c4 and the only place I lose marks is through silly mistakes eg. Using t=pi/6 instead of pi/4 in the question . It's just that I make a lot of these silly mistakes so I was wondering if anyone had any tips on improving on this

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have the same problem so the only thing that helps me is to redo the paper at least twice in the hopes of spotting at least one of those mistakes, although that's not too efficient either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has everybody already been hitting C4 Past papers?

I must be late because I'm only starting them today and plan on getting x1 past paper done each day
leading until my mock next week. My class has just barely finished learning the content for core 4.
Is anybody else in the same boat?

Btw, when did TSR update the theme colour & post options. :redface:
Reply 371
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

I must be late because I'm only starting them today and plan on getting x1 past paper done each day
leading until my mock next week. My class has just barely finished learning the content for core 4.

i've done 6 for each module so far
Original post by aersh8
I have the same problem so the only thing that helps me is to redo the paper at least twice in the hopes of spotting at least one of those mistakes, although that's not too efficient either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

loool, so do I aha :biggrin:

it's a massive issue though, like sometimes, i've even:

1) gone from a solid B, to a D, because of the amount of mistakes i made (in one paper)

2) made so many mistakes in the same question.. that i ended up with the Right answer

3) gone from an A* to a B (in over 3-5 different papers).

if anyone actually has any congruent methods; i'd appreciate them lool
Original post by randlemcmurphy
The general method you used is correct, but C is a point on the line through AB, so you can express this as: (3-2t)i+(5+5t)j. You can then follow through with your method, there will be only one unknown and then you can solve for it, and form an equation as usual.
Hope it clears it up!
(In this post I assume we are working with i and j components)
P.S. Are these questions in the C4 Edexcel book - if not, were did you get them from?

do you mean the position vector of c will be given by (3-2)I + (5+5t) j? I attempted this here but once again I am blank2015-05-07 20.28.01.jpg

This question is from the longman edexcel book :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by physicsmaths
Well for the second question since we are dealing with directions we can compensate for some scalar parameter by setting one of rhe componenets as 1 namely the z component as this is usually the convenience. Now you have two equaltions which shoukd be solvable. I think this is the problem you are encountering, if this is not the case let me know and I will try my best to answer your question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well this question doesnot have a z component. I cant think how to form 2 equations here. Only managed to form 1.
Original post by Medicjug
Can you just clarify if the spaces mean that the vectors are equal

Posted from TSR Mobile

spaces? Nah those are probably blanks left due to photocopy
do you mean the position vector of c will be given by (3-2)I + (5+5t) j? I attempted this here but once again I am blank

This question is from the longman edexcel book :smile:

I misread the first question, I am going to try to do it again, trying to do it another way than you did, your original method would be the one I would think of to use before any other. Let me give it ago.
spaces? Nah those are probably blanks left due to photocopy

I actually don't think you can do the dot product method.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

I've done 7 C4 papers so far, 8 C3 & 9 M1 papers. One paper a day for each module is fine, I'm doing that right now and it seems to be working.
How come? Copyright or something??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by mccrae01
Probably, he just said Edexcel don't want them to be available to students online basically. :frown:

Thats abit stupid. Why do they make them then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by mccrae01
For the centres to use probably, maybe they want schools to use them as mocks or things, but its still a bit dumb.

Just ask your teacher for them. That's what they were intended for.

Physicsmathstutor does a good line in ignoring copyright, as with the Solomon papers.
Note the bit on the papers where it says:
"Written by Shaun Armstrong
Solomon Press
These sheets may be copied for use solely by the purchaser’s institute."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending