The Student Room Group

computer science?

I am choosing a-level subjects and have currently chosen:
Biology
Chemistry
Geography

I have applied to a new science and engineering college and they offer computer science.

I don't really know much about computer science, so what is it, is it difficult, would you recommend it?

thanks
computer science? Without Maths at A Level you're doomed. There's also programming involved, you gotta be keen on that if you want to study computer science
Reply 2
Computer science is one of the most sought for course or skill employers are looking for. Reason is because, computer scientists/developers are in high demand.

However, that doesn't mean that the course is for you. If you're not computer literate then don't do the course. If you hate learning about computers, or the idea of coding then don't pick it. Most, if not all computer science courses will be heavily programming oriented. If you don't think you can handle that then don't pick it. Might I add that programming is probably one of the hardest thing you can do at college because of the amount of hours you have to invest in it to be good at it. That's probably why most students struggle on the programming aspects, if because students think they can cram it in the last month or two which is not possible.

With that being said, programming can be very enjoyable. I recommend you teach your self how to code before before the start of your course. If you like programming then stay on the course, if you don't then drop it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by shawn_o1
computer science? Without Maths at A Level you're doomed. There's also programming involved, you gotta be keen on that if you want to study computer science

This is not true. You can do perfectly fine at computer science without an A-Level in maths. The notion that Computer Science should be studied alongside Maths is just not true. From my experience, being good at maths doesn't mean you'll succeed at a computer science course, and vice versa.

The most complex maths I've used during my 2 years of my computing course was calculating the midpoint of a line which is GCSE Maths.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by shawn_o1

I think they are asking about A-Level computer science so you don't need maths at all. I'm doing AS computing this year and the hardest thing maths related we did was probably:
1x2=2
2x2=4
4x2=8
8x2=16
and so on... (maybe frequency was slightly harder, and I expect there should be slightly more maths next year). I would imagine computer science is more theory than computing so you might need a bit more maths skills but give a 10 year old a calculator and they can probably do all the maths you need in my computing course, it is more about solving problems than doing maths.
Reply 5
Original post by CheetahCurtis
I think they are asking about A-Level computer science so you don't need maths at all. I'm doing AS computing this year and the hardest thing maths related we did was probably:
1x2=2
2x2=4
4x2=8
8x2=16
and so on... (maybe frequency was slightly harder, and I expect there should be slightly more maths next year). I would imagine computer science is more theory than computing so you might need a bit more maths skills but give a 10 year old a calculator and they can probably do all the maths you need in my computing course, it is more about solving problems than doing maths.

Very well said.
Thanks everyone.
decided its not for me
Reply 7
Original post by Async
This is not true. You can do perfectly fine at computer science without an A-Level in maths. The notion that Computer Science should be studied alongside Maths is just not true. From my experience, being good at maths doesn't mean you'll succeed at a computer science course, and vice versa.The most complex maths I've used during my 2 years of my computing course was calculating the midpoint of a line which is GCSE Maths.

This applies only to GCSE and A-level computing, which has a focus on basic programming techniques, and (on AQA at least) topics which are definitely more "ICT" than "Computer Science", for example web design, or the classification of software as 'general purpose' or 'special purpose'.

Do not make the mistake that programming like this is the be-all and end-all of computer science. At any well-respected university a compsci course will start with the fundamentals of computation and quickly move to a very high standard which will require a solid mathematical grounding. There is a reason why the best universities (Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Bristol et al) consider an A2 in Further Maths a highly desirable subject for admission.
Reply 8
Original post by marioman
This applies only to GCSE and A-level computing, which has a focus on basic programming techniques, and (on AQA at least) topics which are definitely more "ICT" than "Computer Science", for example web design, or the classification of software as 'general purpose' or 'special purpose'.

Do not make the mistake that programming like this is the be-all and end-all of computer science. At any well-respected university a compsci course will start with the fundamentals of computation and quickly move to a very high standard which will require a solid mathematical grounding. There is a reason why the best universities (Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Bristol et al) consider an A2 in Further Maths a highly desirable subject for admission.

A Level - A2 Computing doesn't focus on "basic programming techniques" I'll tell you that.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest