The Student Room Group

Should i take maths and further maths for AS or take further at a-level

Should I take maths and further maths for AS-level, or take maths for a-level, and then take further for a-level, well to be honest this won't even matter if the conservatives win the general election but if they don't(even though they most likely will) should I take them both for AS , i've heard the workload will drag the grades down for the other subjects as there is so much to learn, is this true?
Um are you doing 4 subjects including Maths and FM
Reply 2
Original post by JustDynamite
Um are you doing 4 subjects including Maths and FM

no im PLANNING to take maths and FM for AS with 2 other subjects, yes
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by shwansalah
Should I take maths and further maths for AS-level, or take maths for a-level, and then take further for a-level, well to be honest this won't even matter if the conservatives win the general election but if they don't(even though they most likely will) should I take them both for AS , i've heard the workload will drag the grades down for the other subjects as there is so much to learn, is this true?

Are you asking whether you should do AS Maths and FM in Year 12 then A2 Maths and FM in Year 13 or Maths full AS&A2 in Year 12 and FM full AS&A2 in Year 13?

If so, I dont see why it should matter. I think some fp units have been said to help out with AS units in Maths so.. I would do ASs first then A2s. And Maths and FM dont suffer from reform until 2017 so dont worry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
so take FM and maths in year 12, is what you are saying?
Oh I didn't even know they were getting a reform but yeah trust me the workload isn't that much, its just more maths really, if you take FM its more likely you'll get a good grade in maths because I feel that you would have built up your math skills a lot more.
so take FM and maths in year 12, is what you are saying?

Yes, if you take them alongside, FM units will help you with your Maths units, if you took all of Maths first, then you are not benefitting yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Ben4
Yes, if you take them alongside, FM units will help you with your Maths units, if you took all of Maths first, then you are not benefitting yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ugh i'm so confused, what do you mean ' all of maths first' is not benefitting me when you just said to take them alongside each other in AS!?
ugh i'm so confused, what do you mean ' all of maths first' is not benefitting me when you just said to take them alongside each other in AS!?

Sorry im not being clear. If you take AS Maths and AS FM in Year 12, you may be at an advantage as you will learn how to solve complex questions in FP units which can help boost your grade in the Core units your doing in year 12. But if you do all 6 Maths units in Year 12 then do FM in Year 13, then the skills you have learnt in FM will only be used in FM. If you take them alongside eachother both ASs can benefit. I dont know if that makes sense lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Ben4
Sorry im not being clear. If you take AS Maths and AS FM in Year 12, you may be at an advantage as you will learn how to solve complex questions in FP units which can help boost your grade in the Core units your doing in year 12. But if you do all 6 Maths units in Year 12 then do FM in Year 13, then the skills you have learnt in FM will only be used in FM. If you take them alongside eachother both ASs can benefit. I dont know if that makes sense lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah! I understand
Reply 10
I don't see many people pick further maths and maths in year 12, can someone who did explain to me how they found it,
I am current doing AS further maths, and planning to continue it next year.
The work load is manageable(as long as understand the concepts), roughly, I have always been amongst the top 10 mathematician in my year, and I am doing it along side with 3 other subjects.
As soon as you finish C3,4, you would find C1,2 very easy. S1 is hard as first, but practising is of course the key. M1 is the one that I struggle with the most.
I think the best way to get through it, is to be genuinely be interested and love maths. I absolutely love my course up to now. Though, I think i would get a tutor during summer to be more prepared for next year's course. I have friends who are very smart, smarter than me, she manages it, yet absolutely hates it. Trust me, you don't want to be her!

Quick Reply

Latest