The Student Room Group

How much sleep do you get before exam day?

Personally, I overload during exam period, often going to bed at 2-3 in the morning sometimes 4 and waking up by 8 to be in lessons for help and repeat. it's a vicious cycle but thankfully only temporary but a lot of my friends always comment on how they would never be able to survive on such little sleep.

The issue I had was last year I knew I was ****ed, so it was either do the work or let decent grades slip through my fingers. Not everyone is so ill prepared, of course.

But how much sleep do you get before exam day or even during exam season?
like 10 hours and i dont do any work i just relax for teh whole day u know and i dont really do much who teh hell cares about revizin' the grade i get is teh grade i get yoloswag
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
It depends. I normally sleep an extra hour before an exam day so around 9 hours of sleep but I have friends who sleep for 6 hours and are not tired in the morning.
Original post by Spov
It depends. I normally sleep an extra hour before an exam day so around 9 hours of sleep but I have friends who sleep for 6 hours and are not tired in the morning.

Funny you say that because I know friends who feel absolutely shattered in the morning but for me, when I eventually fid the energy to get out of bed, I feel fine and normal in the morning. However, it's when I reach around 6pm that the fatigue and tiredness REALLY set in but said friends are the opposite and feel revitalised in the evening.

I've noticed that if you fight the tiredness for just an hour, you find the energy to soldier on but the tiredness only gets stronger and stronger
Sometimes I would revise during the night so basically I don't get much sleep.
Reply 5
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
Personally, I overload during exam period, often going to bed at 2-3 in the morning sometimes 4 and waking up by 8 to be in lessons for help and repeat. it's a vicious cycle but thankfully only temporary but a lot of my friends always comment on how they would never be able to survive on such little sleep.

The issue I had was last year I knew I was ****ed, so it was either do the work or let decent grades slip through my fingers. Not everyone is so ill prepared, of course.

But how much sleep do you get before exam day or even during exam season?

Generally around exam time I go to sleep at about 8:00 in the evening ish, aim to wake up at 4:00 (so I get a nice 8 hours of sleep) and then I can do some quick early morning revision, just quickly go over my notebooks, maybe do a quick past paper (I have taken to doing past papers while walking to school, I can get most in under 20 minutes now).
Original post by ThatPerson2
Generally around exam time I go to sleep at about 8:00 in the evening ish, aim to wake up at 4:00 (so I get a nice 8 hours of sleep) and then I can do some quick early morning revision, just quickly go over my notebooks, maybe do a quick past paper (I have taken to doing past papers while walking to school, I can get most in under 20 minutes now).

20 minutes? What subject is this?
About 4hours, and I cram for about 3hours before the exam too.
Reply 8
20 minutes? What subject is this?

Physics, chemistry and biology unit 1s (granted the unit 2s do take a bit longer), C1, C2 and M1. Generally my technique in exams is to rush through the paper as quick as possible (so I know that I am not going to suddenly run out of time half way through a question) to a relatively good standard, then go over it finely to ensure I picked up as many marks as possible.
Original post by TorpidPhil
About 4hours, and I cram for about 3hours before the exam too.

I normally don't wake up til i really HAVE to, sometimes oversleeping and forcing my mum to take me to school. How do you manage to wake up so early with such little sleep?

Original post by ThatPerson2
Physics, chemistry and biology unit 1s (granted the unit 2s do take a bit longer), C1, C2 and M1. Generally my technique in exams is to rush through the paper as quick as possible (so I know that I am not going to suddenly run out of time half way through a question) to a relatively good standard, then go over it finely to ensure I picked up as many marks as possible.

Ahh I see. I personally take my time in biology because I got a mediocre grade last year in AS when I kept misunderstanding the question. I'm a bit better at it now but it does require me to slow down. Do you now find your technique suffers a little as a result?
I normally don't wake up til i really HAVE to, sometimes oversleeping and forcing my mum to take me to school. How do you manage to wake up so early with such little sleep?

Alarm and knowing that I need to do some cramming as I have an exam and exams are important :tongue:

I do generally undersleep quite a bit though, not the best sleeper but not quite an insomniac either... So I'm sort of used to it.
Reply 11

Ahh I see. I personally take my time in biology because I got a mediocre grade last year in AS when I kept misunderstanding the question. I'm a bit better at it now but it does require me to slow down. Do you now find your technique suffers a little as a result?

Generally I would say that it actually helps doing it quickly - if there is a question I don't quite understand then I can leave it to the end and not stress as I know I will have ample time. I am quite used to doing it quickly so it just sort of comes naturally.

Quick Reply

Latest