The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bellylaugh
Yep I have a three year old too. Just coming to the end of my PGCE (on the SDS route)...I'm exhausted to say the least! Feel free to DM me any questions you might have :smile:

Well done for getting through it. Thank's I'll DM you. :smile:
Original post by Sam89
Thank you! x

I know I was giving you similar advise days before but I didn't like the swift change in manners at the beginning he was very nice and pleasant at the end wanted me out and was like see yourself out please as if to say you wasted our time get out.

Is there such a thing as overpreparing? I planned so much for this then got nervous began stuttering etc..

Everything happens for a reason though I have had a good cry lol

Sorry to hear about the interview. However it does seem like you probably dodged a bullet if that is the attitude he has towards people.

I don't have a job myself however I like this advice that my university mentor gave me with regards to the whole application process. This was when I was stressing over coming across 'right' in my applications and presentations.

"Just be yourself when it comes to the interview. It's about finding a school that also suits your personality."

Might not be very useful but I'm sure we'll all find something eventually. The NQT year is important in how it to decides whether teaching is for you in the long run. >.<
Reply 6162
Original post by kpwxx
Hugs!

I hate applying for jobs!! And the teaching part of interviews I always just found horrible (apart from the one where I got the job where I actually had to interact with the children leading their play, which is the majority of an Early Years teachers job, then I was so much more comfortable!). I think all schools would be better to just get teachers to read a story or interact with the children during free time or similar, so they can see how they really move on learning, rather than lead a whole class/group of children they've never met and know nothing about... it's very high pressure and I'm sure many brilliant teachers have nerves get to them like you did.

I wouldn't say you can over prepare as such but if you feel like preparing is making you too nervous/stressed, take a break and just do something completely different. This will help stop you getting worked up. And remind yourself, like airfairy said, this is just one job, one option, it's not the be all and end all!

Good luck.

Thank you!

It's true logically if I think about it my 10 months worth of sweat blood and tears literally cannot be thrown down the drain with someone's opinion of what they saw in 50 mins worth of a lesson. I have another interview on Thursday - let's hope I don't screw this up too lol. xx

Original post by Tombola
Sorry to hear about the interview. However it does seem like you probably dodged a bullet if that is the attitude he has towards people.

I don't have a job myself however I like this advice that my university mentor gave me with regards to the whole application process. This was when I was stressing over coming across 'right' in my applications and presentations.

"Just be yourself when it comes to the interview. It's about finding a school that also suits your personality."

Might not be very useful but I'm sure we'll all find something eventually. The NQT year is important in how it to decides whether teaching is for you in the long run. >.<

Thank you for that :smile:

Indeed it is very true - still hurts but I'm over it, onwards and upwards. A lot of people say that you need to find the right school for you.
I got feedback from my interview today. She said my lesson was excellent and was the best of all the candidates. She said the pupil panel let me down slightly. She said overall my numerical interview scores were 1 mark lower than the candidate who got it. She told me I did nothing wrong and that if there is another vacancy at the school then I should definitely apply and that I should just keep on doing what I'm doing in interviews.

It is nice to know I didn't majorly balls up, but it is frustrating to know that there was someone who was just able to answer better than me. I guess I'll just keep practicing my mock interviews.
Just sobbed my heart out at my ITT co-coordinator, like proper hideous sobbing. I'm so tired and stressed and my uni mentor is making me feel like the worst teacher in the world.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Just sobbed my heart out at my ITT co-coordinator, like proper hideous sobbing. I'm so tired and stressed and my uni mentor is making me feel like the worst teacher in the world.

Awww I'm sorry to hear that. People don't seem to understand that there is only so much constant criticism we can take.

What did your ITT coordinator say?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sam89
Thank you!It's true logically if I think about it my 10 months worth of sweat blood and tears literally cannot be thrown down the drain with someone's opinion of what they saw in 50 mins worth of a lesson. I have another interview on Thursday - let's hope I don't screw this up too lol. xx

if it's any consolation I absolutely bombed an interview and got the next one I interviewed for a few days later. The first one was so terrible I sat in my car weeping for about an hour. There were FIVE jobs and four candidates at interview and I still wasn't offered it - they readvertised. It was a truly awful day. I was there about eight hours, waited three and a half hours for my interview in the staff room and a kid even wolf-whistled me when I was on my tour of the school. The actual interview left me I bits - one guy on the panel seemed intent on playing 'bad cop' and kept trying to catch me out and I left feeling humiliated and really embarrassed by some of my answers and falterings.

We all had to wait outside the head's office while he made his mind up with the panel, then they called us in one by one. I was first so I knew I was for the chopping block. I then had to walk out past all the other candidates at reception - like a walk of shame. I felt like I should be wearing a scarf and carrying a wheelie bag to a black cab like on the Apprentice.

I felt like I would never teach again, but I had a completely different experience and got a job three days later at a super school.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Airfairy
Awww I'm sorry to hear that. People don't seem to understand that there is only so much constant criticism we can take.

What did your ITT coordinator say?

Posted from TSR Mobile

She was lovely and offered to check my teaching and my folders over the next two days to make me feel a little more confident and to just feel confident about going into uni on Monday.

My school are giving me such great feedback, my department say I'm great and I'll be a brilliant teacher but my uni tutor apparently doesn't agree with anything.
Reply 6168
Original post by bonniex123
if it's any consolation I absolutely bombed an interview and got the next one I interviewed for a few days later. The first one was so terrible I sat in my car weeping for about an hour. There were FIVE jobs and four candidates at interview and I still wasn't offered it - they readvertised. It was a truly awful day. I was there about eight hours, waited three and a half hours for my interview in the staff room and a kid even wolf-whistled me when I was on my tour of the school. The actual interview left me I bits - one guy on the panel seemed intent on playing 'bad cop' and kept trying to catch me out and I left feeling humiliated and really embarrassed by some of my answers and falterings.

We all had to wait outside the head's office while he made his mind up with the panel, then they called us in one by one. I was first so I knew I was for the chopping block. I then had to walk out past all the other candidates at reception - like a walk of shame. I felt like I should be wearing a scarf and carrying a wheelie bag to a black cab like on the Apprentice.

I felt like I would never teach again, but I had a completely different experience and got a job three days later at a super school.

I can't thank you enough for this. The way you described it is exactly how I felt in my interview yesterday - it was a horrific experience I felt so exposed and that my work has gone to waste. Mentor checked over my lesson for tomorrow's interview I hope this is better else I really will fall to pieces :frown:
Reply 6169
Original post by ParadoxSocks

:frown: I've done this a fair few times this term.. Why don't people see it as were the current 'year 7s' in terms of of teaching careers how can you expect someone in year 7 to have the skills of a 6th former? (Saw this on the guardian hit a cord with me).

Hope it all gets better for you xx
Original post by Sam89
:frown: I've done this a fair few times this term.. Why don't people see it as were the current 'year 7s' in terms of of teaching careers how can you expect someone in year 7 to have the skills of a 6th former? (Saw this on the guardian hit a cord with me).

Very well put. When you are actually doing the job, you will be appalled that the very people who tell you to be encouraging to the kids can be like Hitler to the staff. They are often the same ones who will spend an entire INSET day exhorting you to use some exciting and innovative teaching methodology by the method of standing there and lecturing you.
Original post by Sam89

And you too. I'll be okay, feeling a bit better. Just worried because I don't know what's causing the issue with my uni mentor. My school all love me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a job interview today for BTEC Business Studies, and I've never studied business in my life. I'm a little confused! I applied for A-Level Economics and they rang me, said they want to shortlist but wanted to warn me it is now BTEC Business. I just said yes without thinking but I am majorly confused why they would shortlist me for something I have zero experience in!

I mean, I am an adaptable person, but this seems a stretch...
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Very well put. When you are actually doing the job, you will be appalled that the very people who tell you to be encouraging to the kids can be like Hitler to the staff. They are often the same ones who will spend an entire INSET day exhorting you to use some exciting and innovative teaching methodology by the method of standing there and lecturing you.

This is very true. Head teachers have often risen to the top because they can teach children. That doesn't mean they can manage people. My degree is in early years management and I learnt so much and therefore see major flaws in the management of the school I am at. It is really sad really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pineapple pie
This is very true. Head teachers have often risen to the top because they can teach children. That doesn't mean they can manage people. My degree is in early years management and I learnt so much and therefore see major flaws in the management of the school I am at. It is really sad really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alas so.
My CfC is being reviewed this week. Was told I would get a lot of support but haven't heard anything from uni since I was given it. Luckily my school mentor is amazing and I feel I've made progress but I feel sick with nerves about the observed lesson the uni are doing! It's affecting my sleep (keep having nightmares about sleeping in and being late for things) which in turn is affecting my planning and teaching. Wish I could just take 24 hours out!
Airy. .. Look up the BTEC for the curriculum overview to see what you do actually know as it might be more than you think! They must like your application Orpheus wouldn't have called.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Or they....most bizarre auto correct on the pad!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Grant2007

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lololol!
Original post by Grant2007

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha! There is no spoon....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending