The Student Room Group

43 and counting!

I am considering, well actually my UCAS app is awaiting completion, starting a course at Uni in September. Whilst I am excited about the prospect, I am also nervous about taking this leap of faith to better myself and provide a better future for my daughter. As a single parent, life can be difficult managing on the low wage that admin offers. Am I making the right decision??? Positive and helpful comments only please, I am delicate :smile:
Reply 1
My first thought is that you may be too late for this September. The UCAS deadline for standard admissions was January. The Student Finance deadline for having finance in place by the start of your course, is the end of this month.

As a general comment (I'm single & childless though), I started uni when I was 44 and I loved it.
Original post by LisaKamara1971
I am considering, well actually my UCAS app is awaiting completion, starting a course at Uni in September. Whilst I am excited about the prospect, I am also nervous about taking this leap of faith to better myself and provide a better future for my daughter. As a single parent, life can be difficult managing on the low wage that admin offers. Am I making the right decision??? Positive and helpful comments only please, I am delicate :smile:

You can do it! I am a lone parent - and yes you are making the right decision! What a great role model you will be to your daughter :-)
Reply 3
Original post by IonaBubble
You can do it! I am a lone parent - and yes you are making the right decision! What a great role model you will be to your daughter :-)

Thank you IonaBubble, I am doing my app at the minute, got to get my skates on and sooooooo excited, just hope they offer me a place
Thank you IonaBubble, I am doing my app at the minute, got to get my skates on and sooooooo excited, just hope they offer me a place

Keep positive in your personal statement, talk about your experience and skills and what you can achieve! Good luck! :-)
Reply 5
Hi I'm 45 and a single parent. I sent my ucas application last week. (Late I know). I have been invited to an interview next week, I'm hoping to study Primary Education with foundation. I'm so nervous.

You're never too old!!!
Original post by Jocoops
Hi I'm 45 and a single parent. I sent my ucas application last week. (Late I know). I have been invited to an interview next week, I'm hoping to study Primary Education with foundation. I'm so nervous.

You're never too old!!!

Good luck on your interview! Where have you applied for primary education?

How you doin' :wink::wink:??
Reply 8
Thank you, Durham university. Where are you applying?
Original post by Jocoops
Thank you, Durham university. Where are you applying?

AT MMU :-)
Reply 10
Original post by IonaBubble
Keep positive in your personal statement, talk about your experience and skills and what you can achieve! Good luck! :-)

Ive had a conditional offer subject to a successful APEL process, do you know what this is??
Original post by Kammy7103
Ive had a conditional offer subject to a successful APEL process, do you know what this is??

Hi Kammy.

It stands for Accreditation of Prior Experience and Learning, I had to do one as part of my conditional offer from Salford University. Here is a little excerpt from the covering letter I received, that may help:

APEL is a method of assessment used with applicants who fall short of the standard entry requirements, but have relevant industry qualifications and / or experience. This process offers a unique opportunity for these individuals to demonstrate their academic potential.

The assessments vary from course to course, mine involved researching for and then writing an evidence based, 2000 word, fully referenced and cited essay.

Fortunately they sent me a book explaining how to correctly reference and cite your evidence, which was a good job because I wouldn't have had a clue without it lol.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by DanielSingleton
Hi Kammy.

It stands for Accreditation of Prior Experience and Learning, I had to do one as part of my conditional offer from Salford University. Here is a little excerpt from the covering letter I received, that may help:

The assessments vary from course to course, mine involved researching for and then writing an evidence based, 2000 word, fully referenced and cited essay.

Fortunately they sent me a book explaining how to correctly reference and cite your evidence, which was a good job because I wouldn't have had a clue without it lol.

Thanks Daniel, this has put my mind at ease :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Kammy7103

Good afternoon,

Congratulations on the offer and deciding to to actively change your future prospects. What type of course have you decided on? Hopes for the future?

Quick Reply