The Student Room Group

Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao 2/5

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Original post by xpointx
We want a rematch!

Manny's out for a year and Floyd's retiring in September so that's not going to happen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 561
Original post by Wade-
Manny's out for a year and Floyd's retiring in September so that's not going to happen

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suggest you check the latest news.. manny asked for rematch, mayweather agreed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 562
Original post by T.I.P
I suggest you check the latest news.. manny asked for rematch, mayweather agreed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm still sceptical about whether it will actually happen or not

Posted from TSR Mobile
**** manny man. Pathetic excuse for a loser. Hope he gets sued. What a disgrace
Guys, there's a reason why we saw Manny not fighting properly, and it had less to do with Mayweather.

1. He had a severely torn rotator cuff , three weeks before the fight. Essentially he was basically fighting one handed, with his training impaired, against one of the best defenders and huggers the game has seen.

That was definitely not a fair-fight. Manny wanted a shot before the fight, he thought his arm had healed enough, but it essentially bust itself.

That's why we essentially didn't see Manny in the ring.

Now, the amazing thing is if a one armed Manny can give Floyd a fight, even if he won it unanimously, what would a two arm Manny be able to do?

Flloyd accepts giving him a RM.
Original post by bittr n swt
**** manny man. Pathetic excuse for a loser. Hope he gets sued. What a disgrace

You can't be too hard on him and think of it in this way:

1. He knew it three weeks before the fight, so had some inkling it may heal somewhat to fight.
2. You don't want to tel your opponent you're injured, he'll exploit the injury.
3. You're a boxer, if you think your injury is manageable somewhat , and he thought it was, and you think you're going to get the injection shot which is legal in las vegas, you think hey i may be able to fight.

It isn't an excuse for losing. Manny paquio whose one key weapon was his punches fought with a torn rotator cuff- a severely torn rotator cuff. That's a legitimate issue, and tbh, legally action might be taken against him.

Again, it is a poor decision on his teams part to even fight, but that is one substantial injury.

He himself said he is not making exuses, he does not want people to think it is and does not want to make the injury a big issue.

The fact it it was. He landed half the punches he normally does because he had only one arm to fight with. He fought pretty valiantly for the circumstances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdET3DaTgQw
Original post by T.I.P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Wade-
I'm still sceptical about whether it will actually happen or not

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suspect there's a pretty good chance for a rematch based on the latest news. If manny was not injured and lost to a the greatest defender/runner/hugger who is too skilled and won fair-square despite negative tactics convincingly, Manny does not really deserve a rematch.

However, Manny pacqio fought one armed and gave flloyd a remarkable fight considering this. He had a severe tear on his rotator cuff, the very muscles crucial in stabilizing your shoulder/arm joint.

I'm quite impressed at what a one armed manny could do tbh.

No wonder he threw half the punches, he only had one arm.
[video="youtube;KdET3DaTgQw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdET3DaTgQw[/video]
Original post by Optimum_
I don't know what fight you lot watched, what I saw from Floyd was jab, jab jab, Manny gets a few hits, Floyd Hugs Manny to stop the combinations, more jabs from Floyd. This happened pretty much every round.

Boring, pathetic, Manny went into the ring wanting to fight. Floyd went into the ring to throw a few jabs. He wasn't there to fight.

I hope there's a rematch.

This. Flloyd is the more skilled boxer, but all he does is hug, run, jab, hug run etc. He won that fight no doubts, unanimously.

However, manny paquio fought one armed, with a severely torn rotator cuff. It's no wonder he had half the punches we expected him to have - he fought with half the usual number of arms.

This must get to Flloyds head, how he was actually given a good fight considering paquio's injury, so much so he offered a rematch.

A fully fit and not injured paquio is what we all thought he was going to be, and that sort of fighter would have gotten far more dangerous hits on Flloyd, won far more points and even won.
Original post by pleasehelpmee
not if pacquiao is going to fight like he did in the last match

He fought with a severely torn rotator cuff, landed almost half the punches he usually lands (his major weapon), and still gave a decent fight.

Now imagine what he would do with two working arms?

A torn rotator cuff is lethal for boxing. I thought Manny was making excuses imho, before the x-ray came and changed my mind and made me feel like this was so much so a severe injury he should have been given that shot or delayed the fight.

It's a severely torn rotator cuff, he fought essentially one armed, that's not an excuse.
(edited 8 years ago)
[video="youtube;BNpj03sZkic"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNpj03sZkic[/video]
whatever, he still is TBE
Original post by Tawheed
He fought with a severely torn rotator cuff, landed almost half the punches he usually lands (his major weapon), and still gave a decent fight.

Now imagine what he would do with two working arms?

A torn rotator cuff is lethal for boxing. I thought Manny was making excuses imho, before the x-ray came and changed my mind and made me feel like this was so much so a severe injury he should have been given that shot or delayed the fight.

It's a severely torn rotator cuff, he fought essentially one armed, that's not an excuse.

he knew that though. why did he say he had no injuries before the fight? could have easily delayed the fight.

whatever though. i read in the paper that floyd has agreed to a rematch when pacquiao recovers..should be interesting.
Original post by Tawheed
Guys, there's a reason why we saw Manny not fighting properly, and it had less to do with Mayweather.

1. He had a severely torn rotator cuff , three weeks before the fight. Essentially he was basically fighting one handed, with his training impaired, against one of the best defenders and huggers the game has seen.

That was definitely not a fair-fight. Manny wanted a shot before the fight, he thought his arm had healed enough, but it essentially bust itself.

That's why we essentially didn't see Manny in the ring.

Now, the amazing thing is if a one armed Manny can give Floyd a fight, even if he won it unanimously, what would a two arm Manny be able to do?

Flloyd accepts giving him a RM.

A "severely torn rotator cuff' (which I presume means a complete tear) would require surgery. I know, because I've been through it. You would not box three weeks after tearing it, and you certainly wouldn't think "oh it'll probably heal in three weeks".

I don't know the truth of his shoulder injury (if it really exists) but if it was something that severe it would have been very obvious during the fight.
Original post by e aí rapaz
A "severely torn rotator cuff' (which I presume means a complete tear) would require surgery. I know, because I've been through it. You would not box three weeks after tearing it, and you certainly wouldn't think "oh it'll probably heal in three weeks".

I don't know the truth of his shoulder injury (if it really exists) but if it was something that severe it would have been very obvious during the fight.

It was pretty obvious, and a scan confirmed it. He threw half the punches he normally throws, and even i put it down to mayweathers superb defense DESPITE his hugging and running away, but i knew there was something else- so i put it down to him being past his prime.

IMHO the fact it was obvious but not blatantly obvious shows what a good fighter pacman is. One arm and he still goes 12 rounds putting up a performance.

If mayweather claims he is also injured, he definitely does not have a serious injury like rotator cuff tear. Furthermore, he runs and hugs for most of the fight, and needs to use his arms with less explosive power than pac.
(edited 8 years ago)
Floyd Mayweather told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith in a text Tuesday that he would be open to a rematch after Manny Pacquiao recovers from shoulder surgery to repair a tear in his rotator cuff.

"I will fight him in a year after his surgery," Mayweather texted Smith on the heels of his unanimous decision over Pacquiao in the richest fight ever.

Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Neal ElAttrache told ESPN.com on Monday that Pacquiao will have surgery later this week to repair a "significant tear" in his rotator cuff, which he suffered prior to the fight. The surgery will sideline the boxer for at least nine to 12 months.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12824362/floyd-mayweather-says-willing-fight-manny-pacquiao-again
Packing-Up facing jail for lying about his shoulder injury, that's more surprising than him losing the fight
Reply 576
Original post by shawn_o1
Packing-Up facing jail for lying about his shoulder injury, that's more surprising than him losing the fight

Losing the fight wasn't a surprise, it was a foregone conclusion

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm confused why do you prefer a boxer who would rather run than throw punches..........

Manny was the better fighter for me. Mayweather was the better runner. Period.
Reply 578
Original post by Mr.Rojas
I'm confused why do you prefer a boxer who would rather run than throw punches..........

Manny was the better fighter for me. Mayweather was the better runner. Period.

Yet Mayweather landed more punches...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seriously, people need to understand how boxing works when it comes to a point decision.

Punches landed> Punches thrown

Similar to football, more shots on target mean nothing against a clinical team that puts away most of their chances.

Quick Reply

Latest