Tips & Advice for Psychology Research in the Classroom? Watch

Ceriidwen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
• The research is focused on whether the behaviourism theory of learning affects motivation in the classroom
• Assumption: The theory of behaviourism will change the level of motivation in the classroom
• Observing lessons without taking part
• Focused on males
• Will be drawing their class plan of where they're all sitting

I have no idea where to start with my coding system to take notes. I was thinking about setting up a table with Praise and Punishment using O (positive affect) and X (negative affect) and then by the side how it effects their self-esteem (with arrows showing increase or decrease or nothing at all to show no change). But it doesn't really measure the motivation levels?

Example:
Praise | Punishment
O - SE (increase) | X - SE (-)

Also I will need to focus on:
• Vicarious Reinforcement
• Positive Reinforcement
• Negative Reinforcement
• Negative Punishment
But I'm not sure how to measure/note the effect..

Any advice/tips on how to include motivation in this research? Will answer any questions if I haven't explained it clearly!
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A few things to note:

- I think you need to break down 'behaviourism' and focus on exactly what you mean by that.

- you can also have positive punishment. Are you definitely sure that you understand those terms? (Just checking cos many people misunderstand them).

- how would you measure motivation? It's a very internal thing and not always observable easily

- what about gaining ethical approval? It is very difficult to get it for any research involving children
Ceriidwen
Rep:
?
(Original post by *Interrobang*)
A few things to note:

- I think you need to break down 'behaviourism' and focus on exactly what you mean by that.

- you can also have positive punishment. Are you definitely sure that you understand those terms? (Just checking cos many people misunderstand them).

- how would you measure motivation? It's a very internal thing and not always observable easily

- what about gaining ethical approval? It is very difficult to get it for any research involving children
It's more like a research we're doing to revise for PY4 so it's not a proper experiment.
By "positive punishment" I mean, if a teacher was to give back a test where the pupil had a low grade/mark hopefully he'd reflect on it and learn not to make the same mistakes in the future. The punishment being the low grade/mark or the feeling of disappointment, and the positive side, learning from the mistakes and achieving a higher grade/mark in the next test.
I guess when measuring motivation I'd start by observing their facing expressions when they're being praised, whether they keep contributing to the lesson or not, I understand measuring motivation is very hard!
Considering if I had told the children what I was doing, and why I'm observing their lesson it will definitely effect the results so I would have to cheat them, although the teachers know exactly what I'm doing. I'll also be giving a debrief to the children at the end.
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ceriidwen)
It's more like a research we're doing to revise for PY4 so it's not a proper experiment.
By "positive punishment" I mean, if a teacher was to give back a test where the pupil had a low grade/mark hopefully he'd reflect on it and learn not to make the same mistakes in the future. The punishment being the low grade/mark or the feeling of disappointment, and the positive side, learning from the mistakes and achieving a higher grade/mark in the next test.
I guess when measuring motivation I'd start by observing their facing expressions when they're being praised, whether they keep contributing to the lesson or not, I understand measuring motivation is very hard!
Considering if I had told the children what I was doing, and why I'm observing their lesson it will definitely effect the results so I would have to cheat them, although the teachers know exactly what I'm doing. I'll also be giving a debrief to the children at the end.
I mentioned positive punishment cos it wasn't on your list. It is very difficult to measure motivation and you might find it difficult to get any idea - you would need a baseline for example. Maybe they are always happy/sad? It might not change their behaviour, even if their behaviour suggestion increased or decreased motivation. And I'm not saying that you need permission from the pupils to observe - but you would still need consent from school. I guess this is A Level? Cos if it was a uni you would have to submit a proposal to the ethics board. Still best to check with tutors though
Ceriidwen
Rep:
?
(Original post by *Interrobang*)
I mentioned positive punishment cos it wasn't on your list. It is very difficult to measure motivation and you might find it difficult to get any idea - you would need a baseline for example. Maybe they are always happy/sad? It might not change their behaviour, even if their behaviour suggestion increased or decreased motivation. And I'm not saying that you need permission from the pupils to observe - but you would still need consent from school. I guess this is A Level? Cos if it was a uni you would have to submit a proposal to the ethics board. Still best to check with tutors though
I had positive punishment under "positive reinforcement" on my plan. Yeah, it's for A level, our teacher has sorted that all out for us Thanks!
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ceriidwen)
I had positive punishment under "positive reinforcement" on my plan. Yeah, it's for A level, our teacher has sorted that all out for us Thanks!
Positive punishment and positive reinforcement are completely different things. Make sure you are 100% certain on the terminology if you are coding
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (147)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.88%
No I am happy with my course choice (491)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.53%

Watched Threads