The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Shed End
Statistically not.

Depends on which variable you put the most weight on...
Original post by leinad2012
Did this ***** really use the Europa League in his argument? Chelsea up there with the big boys of Shaktar Donetsk, Parma, Feyernoord, Zenit and the mighty Ipswich Town...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/9342035.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/9148885.stm

Original post by Zürich
Think alot of people fail to realise just how touch and go Utd's treble was. Bergkamp missed a pen that would have sorted the Cup and we missed out on the last day of the season for the title whilst everyone knows about how flukey Bayern was. By no means did Utd sweep all before them.

Tbh the Arsenal 1999 side was just as good if not better. World class back 5 then Vieira, Bergkamp + the likes of Overmars/Anelka who soon left for Barca/Real for a combined £50m(a huge huge sum at that time actually).

That's not to take away from the achievement, just judging the quality of that side with clear eyes. Utd 2008 were Fergie's best ever and arguably the overall best imo.

I remember those two sides well and there wasn't much between them, if Bergkamp had scored that penalty they'd have probably ended up winning the double double that's how thin the margins were. We both had really long unbeaten runs in the league but Arsenal lost away to Leeds in the penultimate game of the season which is what won us the league. The Arsenal side that year only conceded 18 goals in the league I believe which only Mourinho's Chelsea have ever been able to match.
Did this ***** really use the Europa League in his argument? Chelsea up there with the big boys of Shaktar Donetsk, Parma, Feyernoord, Zenit and the mighty Ipswich Town...

Feijenoord also have the CL

And the Uefa cup was once very much worth winning, not any more though. And tbh, Arsenal fans cant deny that we've heavily underachieved in European Football. 1 CWC and then losing the final of the CL, UC and CWC again is well below parity for a club of Arsenal's tradition and domestic success. We should have at least 1 CL really
(edited 8 years ago)
Just call it 1-1 in this cock waving contest.

Christ, people care more about the past than the present, and this is coming from a ****ing Leeds fan.
Original post by sr90
I remember those two sides well and there wasn't much between them, if Bergkamp had scored that penalty they'd have probably ended up winning the double double that's how thin the margins were. We both had really long unbeaten runs in the league but Arsenal lost away to Leeds in the penultimate game of the season which is what won us the league. The Arsenal side that year only conceded 18 goals in the league I believe which only Mourinho's Chelsea have ever been able to match.

Back before Roman's Oil money when it all made sense

:moon:

Cant say I remember much of the football back then, even though I was going to alot of games, but I do remember losing to Leeds and being gutted. Leeds were always a bit of a bogey side for Arsenal actually.

Hahaha, nice, now let's look at the reverse fixtures of both of those:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/9102089.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/9371217.stm

I was at the Ipswich game, and fondly remember the chant of "3-0, even Bendtner scored..."
Original post by The Shed End
Got either of these?

We didn't win the CL because of Wenger. We haven't even had the chance with another manager but when we do we will win it no doubt.
Original post by Zürich
Back before Roman's Oil money when it all made sense

:moon:

Cant say I remember much of the football back then, even though I was going to alot of games, but I do remember losing to Leeds and being gutted. Leeds were always a bit of a bogey side for Arsenal actually.

Our CL group that year had Barcelona and Bayern Munich in it. Seems unbelievable when you think about it.

Except I'm not the one disregarding them though :confused:
Original post by IceyFish
Except I'm not the one disregarding them though :confused:

Are you honestly saying a competition where to win it you have to be knocked out of the CL Group, or have a **** season in the league the previous year is a success? It's like saying one of two things, either "look guys, we were **** in the league last season and are pathetic enough to care about this mickey mouse tournament", or "hey guys, we couldn't even get past the likes of Shaktar Doneskt or Basel in our Group stage so now we're off to mug off the mighty Budapest in front of a sell-out crowd of 8,000 in the mighty 2nd tier of European football"....
Are you honestly saying a competition where to win it you have to be knocked out of the CL Group, or have a **** season in the league the previous year is a success? It's like saying one of two things, either "look guys, we were **** in the league last season and are pathetic enough to care about this mickey mouse tournament", or "hey guys, we couldn't even get past the likes of Shaktar Doneskt or Basel in our Group stage so now we're off to mug off the mighty Budapest in front of a sell-out crowd of 8,000 in the mighty 2nd tier of European football"....

Well yes, it is a European trophy and certainly better than a R16 finish in the Champions League. Anyway, you're being pedantic, there's some good teams in there like Napoli, Sevilla etc.
Well yes, it is a European trophy and certainly better than a R16 finish in the Champions League. Anyway, you're being pedantic, there's some good teams in there like Napoli, Sevilla etc.

Chelsea's route to the final was:

Coming 3rd in a group of Juve, Shaktar and Nordsjælland (albiet on away goals on head to head with Shaktar, a bitch way to go out).

Sparta Prague
Steaua București
Rubin Kazan
Basel

And then Benfica in the final.

Are you honestly going to argue that any of those with are in thee top 20, hell, the top 32 teams in Europe bar maybe Benfica and possibly Basel?
Chelsea's route to the final was:

Coming 3rd in a group of Juve, Shaktar and Nordsjælland (albiet on away goals on head to head with Shaktar, a bitch way to go out).

Sparta Prague
Steaua București
Rubin Kazan
Basel

And then Benfica in the final.

Are you honestly going to argue that any of those with are in thee top 20, hell, the top 32 teams in Europe bar maybe Benfica and possibly Basel?

He didn't make the point that they're in the top 32 but he said at least Chelsea have won the Europa which is a lot more then Arsenal have ever done in Europe.

Don't downplay a trophy if you haven't even won it your self yet, god.
Original post by MichuAtDeGeaBa
He didn't make the point that they're in the top 32 but he said at least Chelsea have won the Europa which is a lot more then Arsenal have ever done in Europe.

Don't downplay a trophy if you haven't even won it your self yet, god.

We haven't won it because we haven't ever been in the competition ffs, because we've stayed in the top 4 for 2 decades and always get through our CL group no matter who's in it....

We've also never won the JPT, because we aren't in league 1 or 2, but yeah, the JPT is what every manager aspires to win in their career....
We haven't won it because we haven't ever been in the competition ffs, because we've stayed in the top 4 for 2 decades and always get through our CL group no matter who's in it....

We've also never won the JPT, because we aren't in league 1 or 2, but yeah, the JPT is what every manager aspires to win in their career....

Yes you get through the group then get ****ed on in R16. United have been eliminated from group stages 2 times in the last 10 years and had a year out, yet we've reached 3 finals in 7 years and won it. What have you done?

lol but you downplayd the Europa league because of opposition where you've forgotten teams like Napoli (who managed to beat you 2-0 last season) and other teams such as Benfica and Basel who would give Arsenal a tough fixture. And that's right you've never been in the Europa League but that doesn't mean in any way that Arsenal are good enough to win it hands down in fact I wouldn't be surprised if you were knocked out of the quarters or semi's to teams who have more grit and bottle

By your logic anyway the FA cup is a piece of **** because you've only had to play teams such as Hull and Villa who aren't even capable of getting into Europa so conclusion is your logic stinks and you should respect Chelsea for their recent achievements.
Yes you get through the group then get ****ed on in R16. United have been eliminated from group stages 2 times in the last 10 years and had a year out, yet we've reached 3 finals in 7 years and won it. What have you done?

Jimmies status: rustled.

As I've already stated, my issue isn't with the CL but with the Europa league, using it in an argument is effectively admitting to having a **** season...

Scene's when you get knocked out in the qualifiers in August will be a laugh though
Original post by MichuAtDeGeaBa
lol but you downplayd the Europa league because of opposition where you've forgotten teams like Napoli (who managed to beat you 2-0 last season) and other teams such as Benfica and Basel who would give Arsenal a tough fixture. And that's right you've never been in the Europa League but that doesn't mean in any way that Arsenal are good enough to win it hands down in fact I wouldn't be surprised if you were knocked out of the quarters or semi's to teams who have more grit and bottle

By your logic anyway the FA cup is a piece of **** because you've only had to play teams such as Hull and Villa who aren't even capable of getting into Europa so conclusion is your logic stinks and you should respect Chelsea for their recent achievements.

Would I expect us to beat :
Sparta Prague
Steaua București
Rubin Kazan
Basel
all over two legs
And then Benfica in the final?

Yes I would.

We beat United this year, and Liverpool, Everton and Tottenham last year, winning it is just as good if not better than EL, because, like I've said 5 times, to win the EL you have to be in it, and to be in it, you have to have ****ed up royally at some point in the last year.

Latest