The Student Room Group

Britain fears a united Europe....

This fear pretty much dictates all foreign policy towards the continent. I mean Britain has been invaded and conquered multiple times by invading armies from continental Europe so this fear is not completely unfounded. Discuss...

Scroll to see replies

The only reason our politicians want EU influence is because they fear an EU block politically and more importantly economically dominated by Germany. This is already happening and Germany has become the heartbeat of the EU due its economy. It's no surprise that countries close to it like the Czech Republic are also cutting down their national debt.
Exactly, they'd prefer a split Europe than a Germany dominated one.
Original post by Sanctimonious
The only reason our politicians want EU influence is because they fear an EU block politically and more importantly economically dominated by Germany. This is already happening and Germany has become the heartbeat of the EU due its economy. It's no surprise that countries close to it like the Czech Republic are also cutting down their national debt.

No they don't fear an EU block dominated by Germany. In fact we want Germany inside the EU and to be economic successful. As this means Germany has no reason to go to war. Currently Germany is dependent upon the EU so it is constrained in its actions by the EU. This is weakening Germany and soon other EU nations like Italy, France and Poland will see this German weakness and leave the EU. Once they leave we have no reason to be in the EU. It is the smaller nations like Greece, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Holland and Denmark we need the Euro and access to German capital. These nations need deregulation so they can compete with German companies, if they leave the EU they can do this. I expect the Euro currency to survive, but the EU to break apart within the next 5 years.
We fear a united Europe because it means the end of Britain.
Original post by william walker
No they don't fear an EU block dominated by Germany. In fact we want Germany inside the EU and to be economic successful. As this means Germany has no reason to go to war. Currently Germany is dependent upon the EU so it is constrained in its actions by the EU. This is weakening Germany and soon other EU nations like Italy, France and Poland will see this German weakness and leave the EU. Once they leave we have no reason to be in the EU. It is the smaller nations like Greece, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Holland and Denmark we need the Euro and access to German capital. These nations need deregulation so they can compete with German companies, if they leave the EU they can do this. I expect the Euro currency to survive, but the EU to break apart within the next 5 years.

I have a GCSE in Maths mate. You are wrong.
GCSE in Maths? We got a badasss here...
I have a GCSE in Maths mate. You are wrong.

I have a deep interest and understanding of geopolitical strategy and forecasting. I am right.
Original post by gordonbennetton

I also did GCSE maths. Got a C.

I didn't choose the calculus lyfe brah, the calculus lyfe chose me.
Original post by william walker
I also did GCSE maths. Got a C.

:five: We both got a C in Maths. We are Math warlords of the Geometry realm.
:five: We both got a C in Maths. We are Math warlords of the Geometry realm.

Jolly good then.
Lol! It is you who have a baseless fear of Europe.

-> This is not 1066
-> We are in an era of globalisation and as such we need to have an inter-country economy and political body
-> Europe does not hate us and the UK has a substantial role in EU leadership

France, the poor victim of Eurowar, is extensively pro-EU. Your point is moot.
Original post by LibertyMan

-> This is not 1066
-> We are in an era of globalisation and as such we need to have an inter-country economy and political body

Huh? It's Britain that desperately wants to pull out the EU not vice versa.
This fear pretty much dictates all foreign policy towards the continent. I mean Britain has been invaded and conquered multiple times by invading armies from continental Europe so this fear is not completely unfounded. Discuss...

Can you tell me the last time we were invaded and conquered by an army from continental Europe?
World war 2 was only 60 years ago, so let's not pretend it's a thing of the distant past.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sir Humphrey Appleby: Minister, Britain has had the same foreign policy objective for at least the last 500 years: to create a disunited Europe. In that cause we have fought with the Dutch against the Spanish, with the Germans against the French, with the French and Italians against the Germans, and with the French against the Germans and Italians. Divide and rule, you see. Why should we change now, when it's worked so well?
James Hacker: That's all ancient history, surely.
Sir Humphrey Appleby: Yes, and current policy. We had to break the whole thing up, so we had to get inside. We tried to break it up from the outside, but that wouldn't work. Now that we're inside we can make a complete pig's breakfast of the whole thing: set the Germans against the French, the French against the Italians, the Italians against the Dutch. The Foreign Office is terribly pleased; it's just like old times.

If only this were actually the case.
Original post by LibertyMan

-> This is not 1066

France extensively pro-EU? :confused: Front National got 6 million votes and is the third biggest party now...
This is like when an American tries to insult a Briton by mentioning the American Revolution, usually accompanied with "we kicked your ass". It's so weird. Who'd get hurt or empowered by something that happened centuries before anyone here was alive? And who's this 'we'?
Reply 19
Huh? It's Britain that desperately wants to pull out the EU not vice versa.

I don't really agree with this. All the main political parties apart from a chunk of the Conservative party ( cameron and a few others want to stay in) and ukip support staying in. I think in a referendum we'd see a slight majority to stay in. Once that happens we might actually make some headway in reforming the eu.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending