AS OCR History:Churchill 1920-1945 F963/02

Anyone doing this exam next Wednesday?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am. Are you prepared?
Original post by emliche
I am. Are you prepared?

Should be.

I mean, although you do have to have contextual knowledge, I find that this exam is more focused on your ability to compare sources as evidence for something. So a better technique when answering the question is what i'm working towards.

My teacher believes that either the abdication crisis of 1936, or the relationship between Churchill and De Gaulle may show up, because they haven't been asked before. If that helps with anything.
Reply 3
Haha my teacher always says the abdication crisis will pop up and it never does. This might be the year it does though. I'm hoping it's not the de gaulle one. I'm just hoping to get this over and done with.
Original post by emliche
Haha my teacher always says the abdication crisis will pop up and it never does. This might be the year it does though. I'm hoping it's not the de gaulle one. I'm just hoping to get this over and done with.

If they throw a question about De Gaulle, it'd be very difficult for us to answer. There isn't too much to write about the relationship with De Gaulle, and even less sources to compare for evidence for it's relationship. If they do want to incorporate CDG, then they'll elude to him in a wider question about Churchill's relationship with the big three.

As for the abdication crisis, it'd be a fantastic paper to answer. There are many sources, and although the situation doesn't revolve around Churchill too much, it may be easier to answer. It's just difficult to see how they would phrase a potential question.
Reply 5
That's true, anyhow I'm going to fully concentrate on the skills needed and not worry about the content. No matter what is actually on the exam, with good skills we'll both be fine.
Original post by emliche
That's true, anyhow I'm going to fully concentrate on the skills needed and not worry about the content. No matter what is actually on the exam, with good skills we'll both be fine.

Got any tips on how to revise for that?
Reply 7
Um well I've been doing a lot of past papers. My teacher also sets mini essays that aren't as long as the real thing but use the same skills.
Original post by emliche
Um well I've been doing a lot of past papers. My teacher also sets mini essays that aren't as long as the real thing but use the same skills.

Yeah. That's probably sensible.
Reply 9
Goodluck by the way.
Original post by emliche
Goodluck by the way.

You too! Not many people doing Churchill on F963/02. What's your second exam on?
It's Italy from 1896 to 1945. So basically liberal Italy and Mussolini.
Ah nice.
Any tips on how to boost own knowledge for Churchill exam?
Um the knowledge isn't as important as skills. You need to be able to answer the questions using Sources. If you need to improve your knoledge I find that reading your own notes helps the most, instead of just reading a textbook. That's just me though. Different stuff works for different people.
I'm going to draw up a list soon with all the topics we need to know, standby
Here's what you should know (I hope I didn't leave anything out) before WWII

Churchill early years;

Left school to go to the Queen's Royal Hussars. Travelled around the British empire, including India. Boer war.
Escaped from South Africa imprisonment. Became quite popular as a journalist (mother was American whom had links with American journalist and newspapers > NY times)
Became an MP, standing for the Conservatives. Left Conservatives due to free trade disagreement. Joined Liberals. Held positions such as Lord of the Admiralty, Home Secretary, Minister of Munitions.
Siege of Sidney Street
Issues with Irish rebels and nationalists.
Dardanelles/Gallipoli campaign.

1920's;

After standing as an independant MP, he joined Conservatives again.
Return to Gold standard (Chancellor of the Exchequer)
General strike
His trips to America before, during, and after the Wall Street crash.
Losing his government position in 1929.

1930's;

Indian dominion status
Abdication/constitution crisis of King Edward VIII
Opposing the policy of appeasement
Named Lord of the Admiralty, 1939.
Original post by NimaOP
Here's what you should know (I hope I didn't leave anything out) before WWII

Churchill early years;

Left school to go to the Queen's Royal Hussars. Travelled around the British empire, including India. Boer war.
Escaped from South Africa imprisonment. Became quite popular as a journalist (mother was American whom had links with American journalist and newspapers > NY times)
Became an MP, standing for the Conservatives. Left Conservatives due to free trade disagreement. Joined Liberals. Held positions such as Lord of the Admiralty, Home Secretary, Minister of Munitions.
Siege of Sidney Street
Issues with Irish rebels and nationalists.
Dardanelles/Gallipoli campaign.

1920's;

After standing as an independant MP, he joined Conservatives again.
Return to Gold standard (Chancellor of the Exchequer)
General strike
His trips to America before, during, and after the Wall Street crash.
Losing his government position in 1929.

1930's;

Indian dominion status
Abdication/constitution crisis of King Edward VIII
Opposing the policy of appeasement
Named Lord of the Admiralty, 1939.

Thank you very much
Hey, also doing Churchill this Wednesday

Do you have any idea of what last years paper was on? Friends in year above have said was something along the lines of Churchill's relationship with Stalin but they said they're not sure
Original post by Scarlett25
Hey, also doing Churchill this Wednesday

Do you have any idea of what last years paper was on? Friends in year above have said was something along the lines of Churchill's relationship with Stalin but they said they're not sure

His relationship with Stalin between 44-45.

Quick Reply

Latest