The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 History - Germany 1900-45 - Monday 8th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD223
Yeah - overcrowding, poor sanitary conditions, spread of disease etc.:smile:

What would be the counter argument of that be? x
Reply 441
Original post by Bunny2014
What would be the counter argument of that be? x

Probably the effective deployment of countermeasures - the fact that there was construction underway of sewers etc in Hamburg to fight cholera and dysentery.

Also, the construction of an effective transport network.
Reply 442
42 is an A grade for coursework! Well done..... At A2 you need 45 marks or above for an A*.

Original post by WilliamSlim
How'd you guys do on your coursework? i got 42. My teacher said i could improve it a bit and get it up to an A, but i honestly just don't want to. I absolutely hate coursework, i'm done and dusted with it and rather focus on my exams now.
Reply 443
Original post by dmcque
42 is an A grade for coursework! Well done..... At A2 you need 45 marks or above for an A*.

Do the boundaries change year on year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey all!!

Hope revision is going well!!

I'm also doing the Germany exam next month!!

Just started revision like hardcore so was looking for some kind of solid revision summary note sort of thing - perhaps in Word? If not, I'll have to start writing it myself - which is what I did last year - it's a pain :/

How is everyone finding Germany so far?

Also, how is coursework going?!

I've just received my 'unmoderated' coursework grade which is full marks :biggrin: - delighted. Did you know that if you get full marks in the coursework, you only need 83% in the exam (59 ish marks) to get an A* overall? Assuming you got 320 UMS. It's awesome!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 445
Original post by Tow
Hey all!!

Hope revision is going well!!

I'm also doing the Germany exam next month!!

Just started revision like hardcore so was looking for some kind of solid revision summary note sort of thing - perhaps in Word? If not, I'll have to start writing it myself - which is what I did last year - it's a pain :/

How is everyone finding Germany so far?

Also, how is coursework going?!

I've just received my 'unmoderated' coursework grade which is full marks :biggrin: - delighted. Did you know that if you get full marks in the coursework, you only need 83% in the exam (59 ish marks) to get an A* overall? Assuming you got 320 UMS. It's awesome!!!

Hey there! Hope your revision is going well too!

How do you revise?

Have a look in the first post and in the megathread for Kaiser to Fuhrer (links in the first post).

Germany is a lot of content but I guess it's an okay exam. What about you?

I also got full marks in the coursework, and 196 UMS last year. How did you calculate that you only need 83%? Surely you need to get 80% overall (320 UMS) with 90% (180 UMS) coming from the A2 year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Hey there! Hope your revision is going well too!

How do you revise?

Have a look in the first post and in the megathread for Kaiser to Fuhrer (links in the first post).

Germany is a lot of content but I guess it's an okay exam. What about you?

I also got full marks in the coursework, and 196 UMS last year. How did you calculate that you only need 83%? Surely you need to get 80% overall (320 UMS) with 90% (180 UMS) coming from the A2 year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey!

And I revise just reading and walking around the house reciting it! I wouldn't recommend my way but it works for me because I can remember numbers really well - me and numbers go together xD

I got 178 last year... Don't get me started. I got 100 in Russia then due to lack of any teaching or help, I got 78 in my other unit.

Anyway, UMS from AS doesn't matter xD. You could scrape 2 Bs in the exam at AS and still have the same chance of getting an A* as someone who got 100% overall at AS! A high UMS at AS only helps you get an A overall not an A*.

Here's how I worked i it out:
You need 320 UMS and 180 to get an A* right.

So: assuming you got 140 UMS last year (scrape B). You need 180 UMS on the dot to get an A*. (Because 180+140=320) History coursework is worth 80 UMS overall so if you got full marks, you only need 100 to get the 180 UMS required for an A*. The exam is out of 120 UMS so (100/120)x100=83.3333%

To find this in terms of marks, assume that 96 UMS is for 80% of the paper (which is generally being quite harsh considering the grade boundaries are slightly more lenient than that in general). The whole paper is out of 70 therefore 70x0.8333=58.33333 marks which is basically 59 ish. :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CD223
I feel the same. There's some topics of struggle to write a paragraph on. Let alone an essay.

How do you tend to revise? Books? Notes? Flash cards?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been using notes and condensing them into mind maps. I'm going to start using flash cards for quick fire revision. How do you revise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Other teacher marked coursework down to 40 lol. Anyways going all out with Second Reich and Hitler's Consolidation of Power and First World War revision. What would you guys say was the most important factor for Hitler's consolidation? I put down fear/failure of communism
Reply 449
Original post by Tow
Hey!

And I revise just reading and walking around the house reciting it! I wouldn't recommend my way but it works for me because I can remember numbers really well - me and numbers go together xD

I got 178 last year... Don't get me started. I got 100 in Russia then due to lack of any teaching or help, I got 78 in my other unit.

Anyway, UMS from AS doesn't matter xD. You could scrape 2 Bs in the exam at AS and still have the same chance of getting an A* as someone who got 100% overall at AS! A high UMS at AS only helps you get an A overall not an A*.

Here's how I worked i it out:
You need 320 UMS and 180 to get an A* right.

So: assuming you got 140 UMS last year (scrape B). You need 180 UMS on the dot to get an A*. (Because 180+140=320) History coursework is worth 80 UMS overall so if you got full marks, you only need 100 to get the 180 UMS required for an A*. The exam is out of 120 UMS so (100/120)x100=83.3333%

To find this in terms of marks, assume that 96 UMS is for 80% of the paper (which is generally being quite harsh considering the grade boundaries are slightly more lenient than that in general). The whole paper is out of 70 therefore 70x0.8333=58.33333 marks which is basically 59 ish. :biggrin:

I might try walking around a bit - keeps you active and your brain stimulated for longer I think :smile:

Oh no! Are you resitting unit 2?

Thanks for the info! That makes me feel slightly easier. 59/70 I guess is achievable? Not sure how confident to be :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 450
Original post by fatsherry
I've been using notes and condensing them into mind maps. I'm going to start using flash cards for quick fire revision. How do you revise?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice! I use the MyRevisionNotes guide and my flash cards :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 451
Other teacher marked coursework down to 40 lol. Anyways going all out with Second Reich and Hitler's Consolidation of Power and First World War revision. What would you guys say was the most important factor for Hitler's consolidation? I put down fear/failure of communism

I had a mock on Nazi consolidation two days ago.

I put:

Terror and violence
Pragmatism
Key support
Veneer of legality

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223

I put:

Terror and violence
Pragmatism
Key support
Veneer of legality

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which did you put as the most important? Also could Hitler's role be a factor?
Reply 453
Which did you put as the most important? Also could Hitler's role be a factor?

Terror and violence. Yeah I included that in my pragmatism factor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
how would you go about answering the WW1 question?
Has your essay been marked yet?

Original post by CD223

I put:

Terror and violence
Pragmatism
Key support
Veneer of legality

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 456
Original post by Nchomuzinda
how would you go about answering the WW1 question?

Do you mean the controversy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 457
Has your essay been marked yet?

Nope. I'll get my marks back on 20th May. I'll let you know how it goes. If it gets a good mark I'll scan it and upload it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I mean the controversy there's nothing on this thread about it
Original post by CD223
Nope. I'll get my marks back on 20th May. I'll let you know how it goes. If it gets a good mark I'll scan it and upload it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 459
Yeah I mean the controversy there's nothing on this thread about it

I did post a general answer structure a while back. I'll post it again when I can get around to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest